“excellent day out”

Houey Hong Vocational Training Centre for Women
Ranked #13 of 78 things to do in Vientiane
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Houey Hong Vocational Training Centre trains Lao women in weaving, natural dyes, sewing, tailoring and business administration. Beautiful handwoven silk items are made on the premises, along with other products in a range of Lao textiles. Visitors can see the weaving and natural dyes, as part of the every day working environment at the centre. There is a retail shop, where handmade items of excellent quality can be purchased at reasonable prices. For those interested in textiles, or looking for a fun hands-on experience, there is a range of workshops ranging from a half day, full day, to several days. You can learn about natural dyes, and different weaving techniques.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I was going to do the half day but as I wanted to weave enough to use as a scarf I ended up staying there for the full day. It cost 300,000 kip including transport to and from True Colours and I brought away a tie dyed scarf and the woven one. The women there are all very friendly and encouraging. How they spend all day sat at the loom though I do not know-I ached by the end of the day!

1  Thank mancduck
There are newer reviews for Houey Hong Vocational Training Centre for Women

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I loved this day - I found the information through the Lonely Planet and booked in town so was picked up there by tuk tuk and taken out to the centre. A very friendly lady with great english showed us around the centre and helped the women to show us what we were doing by translating. We got to take home samples of the scarf we dyed and the weaving we did at the end of the trip which was a lovely souvenir. Please note I actually visited in May 2011

1  Thank HLH_82
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This centre offers training to rural women. Courses in natural dyeing, hand weaving, and tailoring are provided to offer income earning skills. There are residents at the centre that produce cloth for sale. The textiles are of high quality and are stunning.

Tourists can also spend .5 or 1 day trying out natural dyes or learning how to weave. A great experience. I spent one month at the centre in 2004, and have been returning to purchase cloth and to introduce friends to the good works of Houey Hong.

2  Thank zzyyxxww
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My partner did a half day weaving coure and completley enjoyed it.
She learned a lot and came away with a loverly pice of silk faberic that she weaved herself.
Well worth the cost.

2  Thank Ozbraids
Reviewed February 25, 2013

One of those experiences that in some way one doesn't want to share in case its popularity induces change.
If you are interested in:
Fabric
craft - spinning, weaving, dying;
the preservation of local skills;
the provision of the relevant skills to disadvantaged women
plant dyes
... take a day or if you are fairly physically fit, a whole day - weaving, whilst sitting on a plank of wood for a couple of hours is a bit demanding but wonderful especially when it results in you making a piece of silk fabric.
My tutor (Pat or Pait) was just so good, humourous, encouraging and full of information (the weavers have to first know how to build a loom!!).
To get there : Take a tuk-tuk or visit the True Colour shop (Th Setthathirat) who will organise your tour.

Another reviewer said it is expensive! Isn't it always relative?

My experience: In Feb 2013 I was picked up in a people mover outside True Colour and driven for about 20 mins to the Centre (and returned). I was greeted by the lovely Pait and shown around. Next I was asked what I wanted to do. My choice: a half day where I would tie dye a raw silk scarf (in a vat of indigo - wow!) and then learn how to weave (and include a pattern).

All of this, plus the opportunity to chat and learn from a Lao woman from the north who is training here as well as attending college to learn business/English. The cost - the ridiculously small amount of 200,000 LAK/kip or approx $25USD.

5  Thank AustraliaFox