“A haven of quiet skills”

Houey Hong Vocational Training Centre for Women
Ranked #14 of 76 things to do in Vientiane
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Houey Hong Vocational Training Centre trains Lao women in weaving, natural dyes, sewing, tailoring and business administration. Beautiful handwoven silk items are made on the premises, along with other products in a range of Lao textiles. Visitors can see the weaving and natural dyes, as part of the every day working environment at the centre. There is a retail shop, where handmade items of excellent quality can be purchased at reasonable prices. For those interested in textiles, or looking for a fun hands-on experience, there is a range of workshops ranging from a half day, full day, to several days. You can learn about natural dyes, and different weaving techniques.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Vientiane
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A haven of quiet skills”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Houey Hong is a training center where young women can learn weaving, dying, and sewing which provides them with good job opportunities, and can enable them to start a small business at home. The quality of the training and resulting products is excellent.

You can visit Houey Hong in passing if you're in the area (unlikely!), but i would recommend taking a half-day or full-day class in either weaving or dying. It's a lot of fun and teaches you respect for the women who spend days on end working on a loom!

The center is gorgeous, surrounded by trees, in a quiet area with little fish ponds, shade, the occasional goat, and the sound of cicadas. A beautiful way to spend a day with friends.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank LitchiPruneVientiane

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Bangkok, Thailand
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Authentic Experience & Great Cause”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I'm on a constant search for the authentic when I travel, and Houey Hong is it. I was picked up from my hotel in Vientiane, and we traveled about 15 miles outside of town. The center is located on an open lot in a small village and provides great insight into how textiles have been made for generations. I never truly had an appreciation for a handmade garment until I visited the center. While they source the actual silk threads from silk farmers, every other stage of the process is done at the center. I saw how leaves, bark and flowers were cured in order to make the organic dyes (the indigo dye cures for 10 years in a large underground vat). From there, the threads are dyed and dried, etc., etc., etc. By the time I sat at the loom to make my pieces I'd understood how much work it took just to prep the materials. I made both a weaving as well as a dyed textiles (did the full day program). I highly recommend a visit to Houey Hong--even longer if you have a keen interest in textiles.

Visited February 2012
3 Thank intlprof
Vientiane, Laos
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Perfect way to spend a rainy day in Vientiane”
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I did the afternoon dyeing session and was given a lovely tour of the faciltiies from one of the staff. Then I chose my color and pattern for dyeing- I chose a brilliant red made from beetles. The staff showed me how to make the pattern and then answered all of my questions while I waited for the scarf to take the color. Visitors can also learn to weave traditional patterns on the loom.

Visited September 2011