“Bed bugs!”
Review of Orchid Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vientiane
Orchid Guesthouse
Ranked #108 of 199 Vientiane B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed in room 204. At first glance everything seemed clean enough except for a musty smell. I figured its a cheap guesthouse, I can deal with it.

After a few days, I started getting these itchy rashes all over. I looked up bed bite pictures on the internet and it was exactly what I had. I lifted the covers and saw a bunch scatter. I was so grossed out.

The two guys downstairs couldn't do anything but admitted they have had issues before. I talked to the manager on the phone since he was already give. He denied they had any problems.

We only got back refunded the 3 nights we had left and got out of there. No apologies from the manager, nothing.

I will never stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank stickyricer
There are newer reviews for Orchid Guesthouse

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Me and my friends stayed in a triple room during our visit to Vientiane. As walk-in customers we were promised free wifi in the room, a hot shower and aircon upon check-in. Altough the price seemed high, we were exhausted from looking around guesthouses and hostels for about an hour and simply gave in and took the room (190.000 KIP for a triple, you can usually get similar for about 140.000 and dorm beds in the area are about 40.000 KIP each). We got up to our room - 5th floor, no elevator - and sadly did not bother to check either the aircon or the shower. Wifi was not working, so we went down to complain with the receptionist. He was very unhelpful and blamed it on a subcontractor which he could not reach as it was Sunday. (Later I was told by another guest that she had been complaining about the same thing for two days before that and nothing had happened.) We asked for some information on the area and services such as a pick-up for the airport (displayed in the reception area with 40.000 KIP for one tuk tuk). The unfriendly reply was that these were the old prices and it was 80.000 KIP now. Later we equired with tuk tuk drivers in the streets and before negotiating they offered us 50.000 KIP. So much for that... Other than that he could not provide any information on the area. When we got back later, we discovered that the remote control for our aircon was missing. We had to go down again to ask for it. Whilst trying to take the promised hot shower, my friend discovered that it was only cold water and instead of continouusly running it came out in splashes. No chance shower properly, forget washing your hair. We went down again, the guy came up, tested it and told us to use the communal shower. He offered to get it repaired but it could only be done when we were in. Not showing any effort to accomodate us and being unhelpful whilst expensive we decided to check out the next morning and found a very nice place close by. Don't get me wrong, the place was clean, and OK, but not for the money we paid and we expected the staff to be at least polite to their guests.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 20, 2013

It would be ok for $7-$11 / night. Not for the $ 24 I paid. Worst value for the money I have experienced in Laos. Try to avoid but if not, look at the room. Some might be better than others? Even the location isn't great - the street is very noisy. Again, all this would be fine if the place was priced for budget traveling. Booo.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here if you can avoid it
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stay one night at this guest house on 24/10/2012.
I paid for Shower can't work,no hot water,TV can't work,dirty pillow,many fleas & bite me & my boy friend 30++ times at only 2 hours.
Receptionist not friendly & tell me no power supply during this few hours at after I paid for my room.
WORST SERVICE !!!!!

Room Tip: Not a good idea to stay with them,need bring a lot of pesticides & medicine for after the fleas...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We went to the Orchid Guesthouse after a recommendation from the Lonely Planet book. The hotel owners obviously think that because they have managed to get a place in these oh-so-popular guides they can charge high prices for substandard rooms. We payed $11 for one of their ;budget' double rooms with a shared bathroom and fan. The room was dirty, the windows didn't open and we slept on top of our beach towels due to nasty stains on the sheets. The shared bathroom was dark and dingy with plenty spiders to share your shower with! Perhaps if we'd payed for one of the more expensive rooms we would have had a better experience but we've payed for 'budget' rooms elsewhere in Laos and had some great hotels. I definitely think Lonely Planet should be leaving Orchid Guesthouse out of their next edition!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

The rooms were expensive for loas and really very basic and small. We had a shared bathroom (but you could get rooms with ensuites). The bathrooms were similarly poor standard to the rooms. The wifi was terrible and never really worked while we were there.

On the upside it has a nice terrace on the top floor overlooking the river and is located in near the night market and restaurants. I expect there is better around for similar coat

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I normally do not have problem.when it is a bit dirty..but this guesthouse was too disgusting. it looked nice and professional. We had a room which was a bit smelly. But then the fan was not working properly. We complained and got a different room. My friend found a condom package under her bed. A bit later around.11pm when we went to bed i could not trust my eyes. There was a USED condom in my bed. It was sooo disgusting... i could not sleep on the bed sheet so i took out my own blanket. Still i could not sleep the whole night... The room smelly and with condoms, not mentioning the bathroom facilities... I wouldnt recommend to go there at all. when i showed the picture from the used condom to the receptionist, it seemed as he wouldnt care. So maybe this happens more often?

• Stayed: July 2012