Mixay Paradise
Vayakorn Inn(Vientiane)
$36
$22
Agoda.com
All reviewsshared bathroomair conguest housebigger roomsingle roomfree wificlean roomsthe riverlaundry servicebreakfast includednight marketcentral locationnice breakfastluang prabangairport transfertuk tukbaguette
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

We originally planned to stay at iHouse up the road from Mixay but we soon realised that Mixay is much more reasonably priced with an efficient team running the place so we relocated.

We had a double room with ensuite which had big windows with views of the streets below (with mosquito covers). The room wasn't too big but was adequate and the bathroom was fairly spacious (no need to shower directly over the toilet!).

The best thing about Mixay was how professionally run it was. There were a large team of staff who knew exactly what they were doing and they were friendly too. We arranged our airport transfer through them for a good price and our laundry (10,000 kip/kg). Our laundry came back the freshest than anywhere else in South East Asia.

We decided to pay an extra US$1 each to have breakfast included - and I'm glad we did! Breakfast included tea, coffee, orange juice, toast (with butter/jam), cake, an Asian dish which would change daily (usually something with rice) and eggs of your choice (fried, scrambled, omelette). Now you can't complain at that for a dollar!

They also had a "coffee and cake" afternoon while we were there where each guest received a free drink and free cake of their choice. The cake was delicious and a nice touch from the guesthouse.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The most expensive double room was tiny. There was No cupboard, no clothes hangers, nothing to put small suitcase on. Inhospitable staff is a mild description, but is this a feature of Lao? On the bright side, the rooms and bathroom were clean.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have just checked in at this place today, after arriving in Vientiane with not much expectations.. I looked around a whole bunch of guesthouses before coming back to this one, and I can say that for the price you pay, it has completely other standards of cleanliness than anything else you can find here.
I'm paying 105,000 Kip for a double room with aircon and private bathroom, bit much for a single traveler, but really couldn't take another 50,000 Kip dirty filthy guesthouse room.
The room is rather small, yes, but I can fit my suitcase comfortably enough to work around it, and there is a tiny desk you can use, as well as a chair and a nightstand. Totally doable.
Bathroom is clean (I've seen some really disgusting bathrooms just next door from this place, at Youth Inn, 50,000 Kip for a room with no window..) and big enough, with hot water.
My window goes somewhere..in between 2 buildings or smth :)) so yes, no view, but also not going to the hallway, I've seen those as well.
The staff actually made me come back here, I found other rooms in the same price range but lower quality, and the guys that were at the reception when I came were really friendly and funny. I asked to see 2 rooms before I paid anything (I saw my double and a single one with fan and shared bathroom, 85,000 Kip, I wouldn't bother, the price difference to a double with aircon is so small!) and there really was no problem. They even let me pay later, as I had no cash on me and had to go to an ATM, so they just kept my passport while I settled in, chilled for a sec, went out to walk and have a bite to eat and come back. So, as far as I'm concerned, staff was really nice about everything. Maybe it helps to be a single female traveler..? :))
The signs...! Yes, there are sooooo many signs everywhere about all the fines you can get, but mostly about having strangers in the room. I haven't seen any food or drink signs (I'll double check, as I had some food :p ), and most of their requests are..you know, fair enough. I know it could be a little annoying, if you sit and think about it, but Vientiane is such a boring nothing remarkable kind of place, that you don't really come here expecting to have the time of your life and make best of friends among the horeca staff...
Given the s**tholes I've seen around, I'd definitely recommend it, as long as you set your expectations straight.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We took the most expensive room at 130,000 kip or USD19. The room is at the back of the building with 2 windows, facing the backyard of a Wat and a wall of next door building. It came with the lot, a/c, fan, tv (no use really as the signals were weak and there were only 3 local channels), shower with good water pressure, but the hot water simply did not work. Breakfast included in the price (limited to 2 slices of toast, an egg, a cup of coffee and an oriental offering of the day). If you choose not to have the breakfast, u will pay less USD 2, and if you do not want tv in the room u pay less USD 2. But we chose the one with tv just because the room is not as claustrophobic as the others. Please look at the rooms before committing! The bed was large but infested with BED BUGS! Wifi only available from 9am to 11.30pm, but we had to stand at the corridor to get any signal at all! And yes, we were also unhappy with the many 'do not' signs posted all over the place. It felt totally unwelcoming and give the management ridiculous excuses to extort extra money from the guests. They have a lot of staff hanging around yet they are not effective as all queries will be directed back to the staff behind the reception counter. Upon check-out, you were not allowed to leave until the staff inspected the room. He took such a long time, we just left anyway. They offer van services to the airport for 45,000 for 2 persons. But you can hail a tuktuk for 30,000 kip.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Clean and comfortable, we paid for the room with the lot, others we saw at the hotel looked a bit claustophobic. Breakfast was average at best. Cofee tea and juice available for most of the day free. Staff friendly and helpful. Too many rules, ie no guest to your room or else fined and evicted. No food to your room or fined. Mark any sheet,towel etc fined. Five minutes late for breakfast or afternoon tea, bad luck you miss out. Coffee after 5pm on the dot,no longer freeThis could so easily be a great budget hotel but administration needs to become more flexible.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple