“Lovely find”

Amphone
Ranked #78 of 392 Restaurants in Vientiane
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Tasmania, Aust
“Lovely find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

We persevered until we located this restaurant. It's quite central, but just off the main strip. We shared an entree of spring rolls, and the mains were a chicken curry and fried fish...sorry I can't recall the exact titles from the menu. The dishes were lovely, and felt like they were a great representation of Lao cuisine. The service was impeccable,,decor very comfortable and overall most pleasant. The bill was $23US which included two beers and a juice. We really enjoyed this restaurant on our last night in Vientiane.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank bellalab

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“The atmosphere makes this place special.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

We must have been lucky. We arrived on a Monday evening and had the dining room to ourselves. We enjoyed a quiet, relaxing meal, the perfect ending to a hectic day. The citronella fish was very special, something that I hadn't had before and truly enjoyed it. We had excellent service.

New Zealand
“Great local food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

Although very "touristy" their food is about as close to authentic as you will get in a restaurant that is not a local market.
The service was great, they have a wide selection and well,worth trying

French Riviera
“Very good Lao food !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

The food at Amphone is very good and…. very interesting as they use some quite uncommon ingredients in some dishes. An excellent option if you want to discover some original Lao food. All dishes are well prepared and well presented. The choice of wine is good as well. A good experience that I recommend when visiting Laos.

Lisbon, Portugal
“Poor table setting, slow service, so-so food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

I went to Amphone for lunch on a Saturday -- I had seen the place busy the night before and was quite impressed with the atmosphere that I saw from outside -- so decided to try it out. The place was almost empty (only another table was occupied) but it took forever for anybody to approach me. My first order was not available (beef dish) but it took time for them to let me know. I am familiar with the slow pace of people here (i work with them), but I expected a bit more energy (better service?) in a more upscale place. A young waiter set my table -- and I was mildly taken aback because most of the things he put in front of me were torn, chipped, or broken (see photos), and the linen and napkin were not only very wrinkled (unironed) but had holes. I didn't know what to think. I didn't know if this is typical of the restaurant -- to emphasize the homey, natural setting feel which indeed I was starting to feel in the atmosphere around -- but I thought they were exaggerating it. I knew there was nothing personal about it, but I felt offended that such a place should think it appropriate to use broken and torn things for their diners. The management should retire those dishes and those linen -- this is supposed to be a decent restaurant, for goodness sake!

The food arrived -- the ingredients were wonderfully fresh, and not overcooked, but they were so bland and lacking in taste. Overall, not really worth the price I paid for them.

I came here prepared to be wowed, as many reviewers seemed to really like it -- but the place fell short of my expectations.

• Visited October 2013