“Average Hotel in Good Location”
Review of New Lao Silk Hotel

New Lao Silk Hotel
Ranked #41 of 93 Hotels in Vientiane
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We were recommended to stay here as it was close to where the bus dropped us off, and as we only had one night we did. Probably could find something better in the area, but it was adequate for one night (one night only). Room was very small, the walls had stains and overall not inspiring. A little sprucing up and this place would be much better. For the price you got a good hot shower, a reasonable bed and a TV with cable. Without providing breakfast, this place was not really value for money. Location however was excellent.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for New Lao Silk Hotel

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for one night... the room was very small, 5th floor and no elevator, no view and costs 25 dollars. for what? The upsetting thing of all was the fact that the hotel staff deseaved us! we asked about the location of the airport. the staff said its a 20 min drive and a taxi should cost 70000 kip. Actually its a 5 min drive and shouldnt cost that much. very disapointing!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed at this hotel 2 years ago after our driver claimed he couldn't find the hotel where we had reservations. While below the standard of the place we had made reservations we liked the location and the hotel was nice enough especially for the price.

When we returned this year and stayed there again we didn't have nearly as nice an experience. It's still a great location and a great value. However there were a couple of issues. The room had clearly not had a detailed cleaning in some time. The door barely latched and had no internal lock. It's mostly likely safe there, but it's never easy to sleep knowing that someone could break into your room in seconds. Linens and trash bags from housekeeping where laying in the hallway the entire time we were there.

Obviously a lot of care and attention has been given to the exterior and the lobby. Very puzzling why the rooms don't get similar treatment.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed here for two night in May 2013. The hotel is centrally located, and the rooms were clean. There were hot, powerful showers which was especially welcomed.

The staff did not speak good English and whilst we understand that we are hindered by not being able to speak Laos, it was really difficult to find out information about the city. We asked about buses, and also about the post office, but both times we were greeted with blank stares.

I'm not sure I would stay here again, but equally, I wouldn't go to Vientiane again

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The hotel is close to everything but left exactly nothing to be desired. The staff were fine, not particularly nice but not rude. They did not speak English with the exception of a few words (but I'm learning this is common in many hotels and restaurants around Vientiane). I only stayed one night because I got insect bites while I was sleeping. I'm not 100% sure if they were bedbugs (I found a few dead ones around the room and they looked smaller than bedbugs I've seen before). I checked out right away the next day but had to get a friend who spoke Lao to actually tell them about the bugs because they didn't understand me. The room was tiny and while I wouldn't call my bites an "infestation" I get very uneasy about bugs since bedbugs are so hard to get rid of. Might be ok for a night but I wouldn't recommend this hotel to friends. The next day I walked around and found a hotel/short term apartment building that was not on any of the trip-advisor lists (which is also common). It is very nice and new and close to everything. I will be staying there for the rest of my trip.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Cait G
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Spent one night here as a starting for southern Laos trip. Room was small, generally clean but wardrobe door was coming off, the mattress was a bit too small for the wooden frame bed. On the surface looked good but there are definitely room for improvement. But location is good, a short walk to the river and close to plenty of places to eat.

The travel agent across from this hotel is good. We bought bus ticket through them and they provide their own transportation truck (not a tuk tuk) to take us to the long distance bus station which is quite far.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank globaltrotters55
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a city view room for two nights. The room was small with one double bed, but it was clean.

There was a fridge with daily bottled water, TV with enough channels. You can open the balcony doors, but there are no chairs, and really rather small to sit out anyway. The wifi worked ok, was on the second floor. Note that there are no elevators, so if you're on the higher floors, you'll have too walk.

I like the fact that there is a cafe right downstairs, and the drinks were pretty good compared to others places.

• Stayed: February 2013