“Comfortable but lacking on service”
Review of Ansara Hotel

Ansara Hotel
Ranked #5 of 93 Hotels in Vientiane
“Comfortable but lacking on service”
Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

Good location. If you don't like stairs ask for ground level unit. Room comfortable, bed quite firm. Great to have complimentary snacks and soft drinks, but they didn't replenish unless asked and then took some doing. Breakfast very haphazard. Sometimes a menu, but great fresh coffee. Not good to have salmon and cold meats on the table without being refridgerated, not a safe choice to eat. Never ate at restaurant as prices very expensive.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Switzerland
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

We stayed two times (3+1 night) in this realy charming hotel and we enjoyed every minute!
We had once a standard room and once one of the 2 suites. Standard room is very nice and well mantained. The suite just take your breath away ,,, you feel like home!

The entrance building is a very nice colonial house, located in a side street just behind a temple in the middle of the city center, everything is just a short walk away. The stuff is so friendly and helpful, even the garden boy payed you a smile when he saw you.

The breakfast was very good, not a big buffet as you will find in some really big hotel, but everything you need is there. Fresh made fruit juices, good cooked eggs on your order, good bread assortment and really (!!) good yoghurt (I know what a good yoghurt is, because I was working in this department)

On of the tops at Ansara was the French Restaurant. We eat there twice, one time we had the surprise menue and once we just eat a la carte. My wife and I are traveling a lot in France and we like the french cuisine and what we eat here was one of the best french cooked food ever. I had a really good piece of meat with a red wine risotto, this was definitely the best risotto I have ever had in my life.

We can hardly recommend this hotel!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cheese_int
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed at the Ansara for two nights while in Vientiane at the end of my trip to Laos. I will start with the positives: it's in a very convenient location and the rooms are very contemporary and well equipped with wifi, a laptop, minibar, air conditioning. The hotel also looks very nice with a pretty courtyard between the main building and others. But the negatives: while it looks nice, it doesn't seem to be aging well. My tub leaked through the tiles, creating a puddle of water on the floor after I showered. And from the looks of it, this problem had attempted to be fixed before, although unsuccessfully. The shower curtain was moldy at the bottom. Also, service at breakfast was haphazard. One day I was waited on promptly and they took my order, the next day I had to flag someone down for a cup of coffee after sitting there for 10 minutes, and they never brought any silverware. I was also disappointed that they charged $15 for transfer from the airport. I have paid much less for a room where this was complimentary. I just think overall, for the price you pay the experience could be much better. I am sorry to say I think you can probably do better for less.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank amy19087
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Four of us stayed two nights in separate rooms in this hotel in Vietiane, and while its location is great, the accomodations are very nice, spacious with a great atmosphere - we were challenged at times with the staff's responsiveness. What was alarming was the manager on duty appeared to ignore, or certainly not offer to resolve, an issue we had at the front desk checking out with a prepaid voucher and the related challenges. Restaurant service seemed somewhat slow, etc. Location was great - and hopefully your experience will be different than ours. Not terrible, but not up to the standards I would expect for a hotel ranked #3 in town!

Room Tip: We stayed in #2 on the first floor of the first building and enjoyed the spaciousness and shower of...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
derbyshire
Reviewed December 1, 2012

On the plus side; good location for the sights, but a bit built in.

On the downside; lacks character, building and rooms very motel like. No pool.Reception area very tired and not very welcoming (staff slightly indifferent too).

On the negative; restaurant for dinner very poor, food was terrible. Breakfasts are shambolic; the buffet is limited and infrequently stocked, food to order was cold, hard and overcooked.

Overall poor value - we had a very quick look at other hotels whilst sightseeing and found much better places to stay for not a lot more money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, UK
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed in room 8 first floor (glad to not be on ground floor and glad I did not have to walk up two flights of steps as it is so hot even in cool season - I am lazy!) however I did hear the people upstairs very early in the morning but I am used to it as I live in a flat in HK and I fell asleep again. Air-con drips a little bit but only on the floor in one little corner. These are small issues to me. No pool which is the major draw back but it has an excellent location in a quiet street just off the main road. Perfect location really. The staff are all really friendly. Breakfast is good in my opinion. it is really high quality but limited. I prefer high quality over quantity. so i was vey satisfied with breakfast. The bio yoghurts are top notch and the eggs are made to order. You can also order pho for breakfast if you want. They had marble cake for breakfast and some pastries and bread and a toaster. Their jucies are fabulous - fresh and there were about 6 types including kiwi and passionfruit. Tuk tuk rides to the major sights are Kip 30,000 (USD 3.75) or you can walk to the many retaurants nearby. The slippers are comfy but oddly you have to pay USD 6 to take them away which makes me think for a do they recycle them?' The sheets are clean and the bathroom was fine. The room is small but good enough. I also visited Green Park Boutique hotel today for a spa massage (USD 30) which was clean. The hotel looks slightly more impresive with the added bonus of having a pool but seems to lack soul and is quite far from town so you definitnely need a tuk tuk each time you want to go out (there is a free shuttle at every 15 past the hour to town and i saw free bicycles). I am glad I chose the Ansara. It seems good value at USD 130 per night. The mini bar is very limited but included as is breakfast.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Ansara is situated near a temple in a small quite street and at the back of a colonial house with a small green courtyard.
Our room was smaller that the one shown during the reservation my husband made personally. The bathroom and shower were also small but well equipped.
The breakfast was nice with fruit and a choice of cheese and cold meats.
Unfortunately there were some reservation problems and for our last day they could only offer a “suite” that is more expensive than a beautiful room at the colonial Setha Palace Hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple