“Taken a step up”

La Signature Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 408 Restaurants in Vientiane
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: La Signature Restaurant is located above the lobby of Ansara Hotel. French fine dining carte for dinner, elegant set up, great views and extensive wine selection. Light dishes selection for lunch with 2 set menus on offer at 8$ and 14$ Free wifi
Reviewed June 10, 2013

After our bad review previously we have been back twice. Once for a work function and then with my wife last week. The work function was a set menu so was not able to choose from a wide range. When I went with my wife we had foir gras and escargot for an entree. Followed by the beef mains for 2 people. The foir gras we picked was great value and tasted exceptional. The escargot was also nice and the sauce was as good, if not better dipped in the fresh bread they supply. It was a quite night and the chef was brought us our meals, assisted with taking the order and I saw him rush to the kitchen to get my entree when my wife's came out before mine. We were quite full though and the waiter was happy to pack the food up and for us to take the remainder home. I wish I had room for it all as the beef with the wine sauce was wonderful too. All up my impression has changed. I got great value for money and we will definitely be back. I would take the owners advice next time as well and say something if I have an issue as they seem to be very accommodating. Thanks for a great meal that was only $100.

There are newer reviews for La Signature Restaurant

Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

A lovely restaurant, great service and delicious food! The Beef Sirloin Steak with the most amazing red wine sauce was cooked to perfection and tasted amazing. The dessert selection is large and the quality high. The trilogy of creme brûlées and the chocolate fondant with passion fruit sorbet were my favourites!

1  Thank e0010
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

of cs service skills are not top.. we are in laos.. but they are lovely people. and wines and food and athmosphere are great.. i had the big degustation menue incl. wines.. it was really great.. 6 courses, 6 wines incl very special
ones and champagne for 66 eur.. cool.. uwas in paradise. thanks! willcome back for sure.
stay at the ansara hotel, nice room and great breakfast!

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Don't recognise some of the reviews on here. We had the Degustation menu with matching wines - both of which would do the French proud. Great friendly but unobtrusive service, interesting wines, good quality food, lovely courtyard (with no mosquitos). Only thing I'd change would be the less than interesting cheeses.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We have been here about 6 times. Each time the menu recedes and has gone from good to terrible. 1st - The foie Gras used to be 4 big pieces (one cooked and 3 nice mouth watering other pieces) Now it is 1 small cold piece and 1 cooked piece. Have the chefs got a conscious now? New addition to the menu just after xmas was the lobster tail. Sounded good and at $50 looked like a nice meal. It came out and I was embarrassed for this restaurant. Disgusting. It was as big as my middle finger, which is what I felt like showing the chef who was standing at the table near the road overlooking us as we ate. We were there only 2 nights ago with our 2 kids ( I am sure chef knows us now) upstairs and they had the audacity to serve cheese with a champagne pairing. The wine pairing used be be average at the most and I even asked for changes to it to suit the menu, but the latest wine pairings is 1 out of 10. Management need to seriously look at changing the menu, the prices and the wine pairings. Until that is done I will be recommending to all my staff in Laos to eat elsewhere. Bitterly disappointed and will not return until things improve. Such a shame as they where not bad in September last year. PS - Staff are brilliant and they do there best despite management.

ansarahotel, Owner at La Signature Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our restaurant. As we were deeply concerned by your remarks, we proceeded to investigate, in order to better understand what did go wrong. There are a couple of points we find important to clarify as follows.

Firstly, please understand that the foie gras you had on your 6th visit was part of a Degustation Menu and therefore the portions were naturally not as copious as the one you had perhaps on your first visit which was a dish à la carte. We renew our menu about every 3 months. The foie gras dish is modified each time to offer our guests something new to enjoy, but the portions have never reduced. We have offered foie gras in 4 variations, foie gras in 3 variations, and currently foie gras in just 2 variations (torchon style (cold) and pan fried (hot)). All the differents types of foie gras we have offered always came in the same weight on the plate. However, the foie gras portions found à la carte and those served as part of a Degustation Menu are very different. The purpose of a Degustation Menu is to taste several of our best dishes, which means no full dish is served : it would be much too filling and not as enjoyable.

Secondly, we do not pair cheese with champagne. As specified on our menu, the Degustation Menu can be chosen with or without wines (half glasses). Upon verifying your bill, it seems you have chosen 1 Degustation Menu with wines and 2 others without wines. The Degustation Menu also gives a choice between a cheese assortment followed by a glass of red wine, or an assortment of desserts, followed by champagne. Since you opted for 2 cheeses and 1 dessert, there may have been a confusion between the person who took the dessert and the ones who took the cheese. The mistake may have come from us and if so, we deeply apologize. It is unfortunate that you didn’t notify us on the spot, it would have been so easy to simply replace with a glass of red wine perfectly paired with your cheese.

As for the ‘lobster’, indeed it is not very large. Its size is typical for this tropical variety. A larger variety would have been much more expensive.

If you find our explanation unclear or inconsistent with what you experienced, please feel free to let us know via info@ansarahotel.com. We take your comments to heart and most certainly, we will do all we can to not let our guests leave the restaurant feeling as disappointed as you did. Thank you again for your review.

Mrs Sylvie Lichtenstein