“Best Italian Food in Vientiane”

La Scala Fine Italian Boutique Restaurant
Ranked #58 of 400 Restaurants in Vientiane
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Buffet, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: La Scala Fine Italian Restaurant is managed by Maurizio Boccoli an Italian executive chef with 5 years cook school diploma in Rieti-Italy and over 27 years experience.Mr Boccoli is also co-owner of 2 more italian restaurant in Yangon-Myanmar.La Scala is a elegant and refined restaurant with beautifull burmese decoration in colonial style we serve the finest italian food also we provide a lunch buffet with many different dishes.Also we serve a wide selection 120 labels of italian wines.
Nairobi, Kenya
“Best Italian Food in Vientiane”
Reviewed October 22, 2011

Though not very centrally located that restaurant offers very authentic and delicious food cooked by the Italian Chef. Service is OK, good selection of both food and wines. unfortunately the place is not that popular but this might be owed to the location. It is off the down town tourist area and so most looking for Italian Food probably end up in Aria which pretends to be "The" Italian Place in town. However, rest assured that it's not. Very pretentious through but the food quality does not love up to expectations there. La Scala is definitely two notches above.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank Barnskybeat

“One of the best fine dining experience in South East Asia”
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Is it the contrast with the otherwise average food available in Vientiane,is the fact that this haven of refinement is unexpected in Laos,is it the good service,is it the contagious passion of the professional chef~owner?I don't know,but for sure is by far the best and most beautyful restaurant in Laos.

Hereford, United Kingdom
“excellent food”
Reviewed May 5, 2011

We found this place by chance while going to the Myanmar Embassy on our bikes. Upstairs the lunch buffet was laid out and looked so good we stayed without enquiring about the cost, ( unusual for me). It was delicious and we really enjoyed our long relaxing meal. They charged $10 each but then we only needed a snack that evening so good value. Three days later we returned to collect our Visas and another buffet. This time talking to the owner who knew Myanmar and give us some travel tips. We did not try any of the other Italian Restaurants so we cannot compare but I am glad that we found this one.

• Visited February 2011
2 Thank baz7903
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A very special place”
Reviewed March 26, 2011

I been to La Scala several times,is really a beautiful place,for sure the most beautiful restaurant in town,the food is excellent, the service is good and the ambiance is amazing.
For sure is my favorite restaurant for a special night out.

1 Thank Alexint
Vientiane
“I really don't get why this place is not close to number one.”
Reviewed March 7, 2011

I reviewed La Scala in September, and I have eaten there many times before and since. Ok, what "don't i get?" La Scala is an excellent restaurant. It is head and shoulders better than another Italian restaurant in town which seems to get many more accolades. I think there are two reasons for this, one due to the location of the other place.

La Scala is not the easiest place to find, but is on the road to the Australian Embassy, a short tuk tuk ride from town. Believe me the trip is worth it. The ambience is head and shoulders better than any other Italian restaurant, and possibly any other restaurant full stop in town. It is possible to et a meal in relative peace and quiet and not have to shout at one's partner to be heard. The service is very good without being obsequious. There is none of this nonsense of having to wait 70 minutes for my main course to arrive as i had to last night at a prominent La Scala competitor.

So what is the food like? I have reviewed restaurants and wine professionally in the past . La Scala would be a very high rating Italian restaurant in Australia, in Germany and in the States. The food is high quality, there is a good variety and the cooking is excellent. Dishes are plated attractively and the food is not just heaped onto the plate. Another thing i like that the cost of the dishes is inclusive. by that I mean there is none of this nonsense that a dish costs so much, but if you want shaved truffles then it is so and so much per gram dearer. What a load of nonsense! My Lao wife is exceptionally hard to please. When we had a poor experience last night at La Scala's main competitor she said, "I told you so." And she was completely correct.

La Scala's wine list is good and well balanced. There are a number of stars on the wine list, such as decent Barolos and Barbarescos if you want that.They are not exorbitant. There are lots of wines around the 200,000 Kip pricepoint, as opposed to the place i ate at last night, where most wines started at 400,000 Kip plus. It is not hard to find a very drinkable wine at La Scala.

I really wish this lace well, as in my opinion it is the best Italian in town by a long margin. La Opera, when it is in form will match La Scale, but you can forget the rest. So, why does it not rate higher? I wonder!

• Visited January 2011