“Quality tours u can trust!”
Review of Green Discovery

Green Discovery
Ranked #3 of 10 Tours in Vientiane
More attraction details
Owner description: With now fourteen years of experience, Green Discovery Laos is the most well-known and highly regarded adventure and Eco-tourism tour operator and probably the only social enterprise in the country. Be it adventure or immersion into scenic tranquillity, Green Discovery has ensured that all its excursions and holidays are suited to the most discerning and unique of travellers. Safety remains a priority in whatever activity is involved, and we are proud of our safety record with more than 150.000 travelers using our services since 2000.
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

We engaged Green Discovery for a 3D2N combi trek in Luang Namtha. The trek includes stay with the ethnic tribes.

I enjoyed my experience and felt that the your was well packaged. The trek was not too long each day, food was sufficient, itinerary was interesting and price was fair.

The only area for improvement is the guide's commitment to lead the tour. I felt he was aloof and probably too bored to lead a small group. Nonetheless, he is experienced in what he is doing and would still thank him for the help rendered during the trek.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

My girlfriend and I took the 3D2N trekking and kayaking package in Luang Namtha and I must say the whole experience was fantastic. We booked through their Luang Namtha office by email a few months before.

The entire trek/kayaking itinerary was well planned out and coordinated. Experiences in the ethnic minority villages was absolutely delightful. The guide will explain almost anything about the whole NPA if you'd asked or sometimes tell you automatically. He would also tell you how these isolated villages benefit from the company's business, the company will pay the villages to clear out a trail for eco tourists like us. Though I'd thought the villagers could had maintained the trail a bit better. Some of the trails were overgrown with weeds or had a very narrow footpath and make for difficult trekking.

It's definitely a bit pricey relative to the other trekking agencies but like what some guide books say...you're paying for quality.

PS: Bring along the receipt for your deposit to speed up the administration work.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I booked this comany by acdient.the guide very helpful.i for got something to the bus.he try to got back for me.thanks

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We booked from the vang Vieng office todo the nam lik experience by kayak. It cost $76 each as it was just the two of us, but the price would have gone down slightly if more ppl joined. I noticed the office in vientiane advertises open trips to get more people but this office did not.
( we noticed in the morning there were various kayaking trips leaving from other agencies, so the demand was there!)

The guy we booked through at the office was fab though and told us some interesting stories, but sadly he was not our guide. The guide we had spoke broken English (fine with us, better than our laotian!) but didn't speak a word for the first 2 hour tuk tuk stint of our journey. After dropping his wife and kid off at home he had a little nap!!

Once we reached the river he took a photo for us and pretty much left us to it. The river was low so no major rapids to contend with so he toddled off ahead and made a couple of phone calls.

We stopped at some rocks after 1.5 hours kayaking, bang on midday where we were given some BBQ skewers and rice, which were really good.

He had another nap then til abiut 1.20 so we just sat on a rock til he was ready to go.

The scenery was nothing special and we didn't pass any other people apart from a young lad who joined us for lunch on the rock (in hope of left overs, which I gladly gave him as the food was way too much for me!)

One more hour of kayaking was had and then the trip was abruptly over - it seemed like he almost forgot to tell us to come in and we nearly carried on down the river!!

The green discovery tuk tuk ( or songtheuw) then picked us up and dropped us on a road near a village, where a minivan taxi was flagged down and we were bundled on. This was our incredibly crowded and sticky ride for the remainder of our journey to vientiane. (2hours!!)

This driver managed to fit 12 adults, 3 kids and a small baby in to his 8 seater minivan. He was pulled over by the police who let him carry on after a cash bribe.

I thought this was really poor of green discovery, especially considering what we had paid for seemingly not very much, and especially since their vientiane office were running a zip line trip in the same area so we could have travelled back with them - unless they also did something similar I guess.

Had the trip been better we would have booked trough them again for the jungle fly experience, but this poor experience kayaking and then seeing the price of the zip line and reading reviews similar to ours we opted out from ever using them again.

No one seemed to be able to tell us the name of the villages we left from or ended at, or the distance you actually get to kayak. As we learnt its not very far!!

Overrated and not good value for money.

3  Thank BeckyATW
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I think taking a tour when you first arrive is a good idea to get oriented to the culture history and layout of the town. These guys seem as reliable as any other operator in town - there's not a lot of competition and prices are surprisingly high for all tour operators we found. That said, although we're glad we took the tour it was somewhat unremarkable but pleasant.

We went to several historical and religious sites and learned a lot.

All in all we were glad we did this but for those on a budget not a great bang for the buck.