“Quirky place, good location”

Inter City Boutique Hotel
Ranked #55 of 94 Hotels in Vientiane
Reviewed December 1, 2010

If you like to stay in 4* glitzy hotels, then perhaps this isnt the place for you. On the other hand if you like old world charm with a large helping of quirkiness look no further than the Inter City. Spacious well equipped room, but the bathroom really is in need of some tender loving care! It took me ages to work out that I had to flick the circuit breaker above the shower to get hot water, somehow just didnt seem to be the right thing to do whilst standing under a shower, given the relashionship between electricity and water, but it worked! The whole hotel is like one big antique shop, including the lift! Breakfast was a buffet with both western and laos cuisine, not the best we have had, to be fair. Situation wise the hotel is perfect, especially if you like a night market. A lot of work is being done along the river front,l but the noise was not a problem at all. I would recommend this hotel if your not too fussy and can accept little faults. It goes without saying that the staff were all helpfull and smiley; isnt everyone in Laos?

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 27, 2010

I stayed here with a tour group. Just because I am with a large group doesn't mean we should get rooms that are below par. My toilet was cracked and had yellow stains and dried crap on it. My view was of... wait, nothing - barbed wire and such. The stains and peeled paint around the window were questionably unsafe. The smell was terrible. I was told to open the window and put a fan on. The problem was that there was no fan and the window opened to complete filth. According to the staff, the hotel was completely booked so I couldn't be moved. My fellow tour mates initially thought it was nice (as they had larger and cleaner rooms), but then between the street noise, the dripping water, the elevator... NO one was happy or got a good night sleep. The only pro is that there was free wifi. Oh - and don't let the pretty lobby fool you.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed November 21, 2010

We stayed at the Inter City Hotel for three nights (booked by travel agent) and we were a little concerned because of the many negative reviews. But we liked the hotel very much. Yes, it could be a little cleaner, and yes, the shower is not like mine at home. There are a lot of things different from what I´m used to - and I think that´s good because that is the reason why I travel.
The Superior rooms are big and nicely decorated in Lao style. We were told by our guide not to take a Standard room because they are very small and sometimes don´t even have a window. We had a beautiful view over the Mekong, just ignoring the construction site that is still going on (they should have been ready in October this year, but it doesn´t look good...). We heard the nearby disco in our room, but it wasn´t that loud to keep us from sleeping.
The staff is brilliant.Maybe their English skills aren´t that good but with our little Lao skills everything worked out fine.
The breakfast consists of a choice of different Lao dishes, Chinese soup, a variety of eggs, salad, fresh fruits, bread and jam. We were satisfied with that. The interior of the breakfast room needs a little renovation but it was okay.
If you book (or write a review about) the Inter City Hotel you should consider that you book (and pay for, by the way) only a three star hotel in one of the poorest countries of the world. If you want faster Internet access, better English, more exclusive service and rooms, maybe you should be willing to pay for all of that.
We liked the Inter City and we would definitely come back.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Beautiful Antique hotel. The morning Buffet is great and the rooms are worth the upgrade. Laos is truly a hidden gem!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2010

We stayed only a night with my wife in deluxe room, actually we live in Lao, anyway here are the things they should fix immediately,
First of all, hotel has nice view and inside is almost good.
Rooms needs to be painted, and pesticide because there some lizards and insects around. There is nothing to eat, Staff not friendly at all, internet connection sucks you I warned them 4 times, then we got internet. I asked them to print a page, they said not possible,because of their boss.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2010

I used a premium room on the 4th floor. Free Wifi but too slow to be functional. The moulded airconditioner was leaking so much water inside the room that after I alerted hotel staff to it they provided me with some extra towels to put on the floor. They offered me to move to a different room but that was so noisy from the next-door bar that sleeping would not be possible until they had closed. So, lived with the dripping. The matrass on the bed was really bad, with pointy springs sticking out through the sheets in at least 2 places. Next morning shower did not materialise: the trickle of cold water soon dried up. Worst about this stay: spoke to the management when I checked out that same morning (not wanting to stay the booked 2nd night), they are well aware of the problems and still will rent these rooms out to unsuspecting customers (and I had stayed there before a few years ago with less trouble). There are ample places in town, particularly in the Nam Phou area, where you will get excellent service and accomodation for the same price.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank PVD111
Reviewed August 15, 2010

This hotel looks good from the internet only. The standard rooms are very old and not clean. The curtain very dusty and old and broken. The lobby looked very nice, however, the hotel is actually very old. Decorations outside the lobby run to seed. Bathroom smelled terrible, also the toilets downstairs (located next to restuarant). Breakfast was included, but the cook did not know how to cook eggs or noodle soup.
Good thing is the staffs were very nice and kind.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family