“Don't stay here, one of the worst I have stayed in...”

Inter City Boutique Hotel
Ranked #37 of 93 Hotels in Vientiane
Kent, England
“Don't stay here, one of the worst I have stayed in...”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I checked into this " boutique" hotel in the evening after looking at many hotels in the area which I found to either be all closed down or full or bad value. As I walked into the lobby of this one I breathed a sigh of relief, It is lovely and I expected a room of similar quality and decor. Sadly they have made the lobby and hall ways the best part of this hotel.....

There were 2 rooms left on arrival. I was shown to the last one with a double bed. It smelt, wallpaper coming off walls, dirty pillows, pubes on toilet seat and the toilet seat completely broken off, leaking from the cistern all over the wet room floor and wouldn't flush. I told the receptionist who rudely said I could stay in the single room or leave.... I looked at the single room which was a box for $35 dollars and stuck with my original room as I was so tired and fed up. The bathroom to top it all off was smaller than any hotel Ive ever stayed in in Asia and impossible to move, let alone shower, the head of which was over the broken toilet.

The receptionist rang me and said he would come and fix the toilet in 10 minutes. On check out he still hadn't come..... I considered calling him but conveniently the telephone stopped working. Do not stay here they do not deserve your money, or at least the appalling " standard rooms" don't....

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Sap25

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Nice and helpful reception, I got a good travel info from them. I got double bed room with breakfast and it's on Khong river side view. The room and toilet are clean, there are bath, hair dryer, 2 bottles of water and free wifi. The hotel is decorated by antique style. The price is OK for me. (about 45-50 USD for 2 persons)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Eclectic and beautiful artwork is dotted all over the hotel,especially in the reception area.The beds are comfy,rooms are big,with beautiful,colonial double wooden doors.
Busiest bar for foreigners is on the roof next door and shut at midnight so not a noise pollution problem.Restauarant has good Western and Lao food mix,cheap Beer Lao also.
It's smack,bang in the middle of the strip on the riverside so the location can't be beaten,easy access to all the bars and restaurants of Vientiane.Big windows on the river view rooms with stunning views of the mighty Mekong River and the night market just outside on your doorstep!
Transport in the form of a tuk-tuk rank just next to the hotel entrance and on top of it all,good pricing for all the rooms all things considered and for Vientiane.I've stayed in supposedly 4-star hotels not far from here,that really wasn't Best for Western people before and can tell you that everything about here is MUCH better than there!
It's my new nailed-on favourite from now on for Vientiane,a real good quality well-run hotel and at a good price,what a find!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I actually left my wallet in the safe at this hotel when I checked out and went back to Malaysia, but the staff found it and went above and beyond the call of duty to return it to me with nothing missing. They were also very kind to our baby even though she made a huge mess of the restaurant each morning. They always made sure to keep her stocked up with bananas. The location is good and there is a great coffee shop nearby called Common Grounds.

Room Tip: If you have some extra money to spare, go for the suites on the top floor. They are massive with a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I feel glad that we only spent one night here. I was feeling ill from an ear infection, and just wanted to lay down and be comfortable. The bed, hard as a rock. Like, the hardest bed ever. The bathroom had one of those showers that is actually the whole room with a curtain that doesn't keep any water from the rest of the room. It wasn't extremely dirty, but let's just say I felt the need to shower with sandals on. AC was pretty weak, took a long time to get going.

The one pretty good point was their breakfast. It was mostly standards, but they kept up with it so you were eating fresh items.

As other reviewers have noted, the elevator wasn't working. Seems like this is ongoing for them. I was on the 4th floor, so it kind of sucked going up each time a windy wooden staircase, especially when I wasn't feeling well. Again, nothing major was wrong, but a lot of little things. I woke up feeling like I had a hundred bites from 'something' and I hadn't been outside...so I'm not sure if there was some little friends nesting in the blankets.

If it were my choice, I don't think I'd stay here again...but if you're looking for a bargain it may be adequate.

Room Tip: Since the elevator never seems to work, it may be best to book a lower floor, unless you don't m...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 24, 2013

This was a great little hotel on the banks of the Mekong river. The night market is also right outside in front of the hotel where you can get cheap food and souvenirs. The A/C worked well and the room was very spacious. It's located next to a dance club, so at night it can get quite loud and we could hear music from our room. The hotel staff was friendly and spoke English well enough. The wifi was very slow (except in the lobby it was decent), but this is Laos, so you'll be lucky to get fast internet anyway. The breakfast was delicious and we ate the fruits and vegetables without getting sick! Would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 4, 2013

As other reviews say, this place is somewhat quirky.
I had no fault with my bedroom, a large corner room with a great view of the river. The bed was very comfortable.The bathroom was pretty basic though and the shower took some working out. Then again, this is Laos, not Manhattan, so not really an issue.
Staff were very friendly and I found them very helpful.
Location is very good, on the river and across the road from the night market. You can walk most of Vientiane from here easily.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple