“Keep looking...”
Review of Youth Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vientiane
Youth Inn
Ranked #39 of 107 Specialty Lodging in Vientiane
Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

A rather cheap-but-uncheerful place this one. The room was ok, I shared a triple with 2 friends, for 30,000kip each per night, but would not stay again. I hired a bicycle from here which broke leaving me with no brakes. Check the room very thoroughly before staying here, and look at other places too - maybe it's worth 5-10000 kip extra to stay either.

• Stayed: October 2012
There are newer reviews for Youth Inn

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Triple a/c room ( 3 single beds ) for 120,000 kips (Oct-2012). Youth Inn do provide motorbike for rent at 60,000 kips per day while bicycle 10,000 kips per day. We rent 3 bicycles from Youth Inn from 9pm to the next day 9pm . Poor bathroom door - need repair.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Another objective review from FattM. As always, your results may vary. NOTE: This review is for Youth Inn 2. Youth Inn 1 is being renovated or something. They're on the same street. 1 is close to the river. 2 is opposite the temple. And the fellows who live in the temple ring the bell at 4am to start their day, by the way.

I needed a simple room to get some sleep while waiting for my Thai visa to be processed. And while I got the "simple room" part, I got very little of the "sleep" part. Note: I stayed in Room 204 which is absolutely not the room you want to stay in by any stretch of the imagination if sleep is what you are interested in. Other rooms may be different. But I didn't stay in other rooms.

If you're one of those travellers that feel they sleep too much while travelling, then this is the place for you because you may not get to sleep until about 1 or 2 and you may well be up around 6 or 7. It's made of cement and tiles so every footstep and every inconsiderate guest coming in at 3am can be heard- at least from where I was.

While cleanish, it's what you get for £6. The young lads that "run" the place are kind of disinterested in anything other than lying around watching TV and it's kind of hard to tell who's in charge because there are so many of them lying around watching TV.

But, whatever. For 80,000 kip, I got a bed, a wooden chair, a table, a shower and a toilet. The toilet was the best part really (I had had a gut- wrenching curry the night I stayed there so it was crucial).

They have free WiFi that, like other places, shuts off at 11:30. So either have a book handy or be prepared to stare at the ceilings as doors are slammed until about 3am. Which isn't their fault. And then the music in the lobby starts at 7am. Which is their fault.

Paradoxically, this is a fantastic example of (a) getting what you pay for, and (b) not getting especially great value when compared to other similarly priced places.

If you need a place to stay on your visa run and aren't choosy, this place is fine. If you want a little more from your Vientiane experience, there are better places very close by.

Room Tip: As absolutely as far away from the staircase as possible.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stayed many times at the Youth Inn 1 and a couple of times in Youth Inn 2.

The owner/manager is very friendly but staff at both (Youth Inn 1 & 2) prefere to watch TV or play games then to listen to their customers. Bougth twice tickets and both times they messed up the dates. The guy at reception was not helpfull at all. He just carried on playing on his phone and after I nagged him a few times, he stood up and walked away but when I went to talk to the owner, she sorted it out in no time and even refunded me my money.

(Youth Inn 2) The rooms where reasonably clean but both times I stayed, the window opens up to an other wall so it's like having no window at all. Aircon wasn't working either.

(Youth Inn 1) I stayed in most rooms already and most of them where OK, as long it's not the one on the first floor on the right facing the street. The street light is right outside the window and the curtains are non existant. The rooms on the back are facing a building site since a few months so it's getting noisy pretty early in the morning.

More or less every room has a "little" problem but not realy a big deal. Some better, some worse. They could do with better cleaning but never had problems with bedbugs (yet).

On the other hand, the restaurant attached to Youth Inn 1 is excellent. Fantastic coffe, good shakes annd food is pretty OK too.

WiFi is OK but off course, speed drops dramaticly when there is a few people, all talking on skype or watching Youtube videos. If you stay in one of the front rooms, try using the WiFi from the restaurants on the other street side they are often faster, but be fair, at least go and have your meals there too.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Joe L
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night as it was cheap,however,if you can afford it I would suggest paying a little bit extra and staying somewhere semi decent. The rooms smelled quite badly and the walls were very dirty. The sink in the bathroom drained right onto the floor so it was pretty pointless even having a sink in the bathroom. There were not the bugs in the bed I was expecting so I was happy on that account. There are also a lot of stairs so you don't want to get a room on the 4th floor.

The one positive thing about this place were the staff at the front desk. The fan in our room only reached one of the beds enough to cool it so it was too hot to sleep. The man at the front desk organised another fan for me and set it up in front of my bed so I could sleep. For that reason I have given it two stars as opposed to only the one.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 22, 2012

The hotel is fine, buy stay away from the bikes. We had the most frustrating 4 hour trip back from Buddha Park, and the owner was far from helpful. Thank goodness for the kind staff. You've been warned!!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Coco A
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We ended up in the Youth Inn after exhausting all of the other budget options. The room stank, but the bed was free of bugs and whilst not exactly comfortable, was not uncomfortable enough to keep us awake at night. However, we did see a cockroach. We paid 60,000 kip for one night and immediately moved to Mixay Paradise next door for 125,000 including breakfast and a lovely room. I would only advise Youth Inn if you haven't got into any of the many other guesthouses in the area, only the price is appealing.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple