“bargain gem”
Review of Hotel Khamvongsa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vientiane
Hotel Khamvongsa
Ranked #4 of 202 Vientiane B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 11, 2010

This hotel lived up to the rave reviews.

It really is very good value for money and a charming hotel. Rooms great (loved the dark wooden floors) and staff excellent.

It is located a little bit out of the centre of town, but it was an easy walk to get there. In fact our favourite restaurants (including Makphet) were only a couple of minutes away.

We actually enjoyed Vientiane much more than we expected and Hotel Khamvongsa was a part of that pleasant surprise

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 3, 2010

We stayed here for two nights and were amazed with the quality of the hotel in this price range. The room was really big and comfortable and the bathroom was great. The whole place was really clean. There were many options on the menu for breakfast and it was all delicious. It was also in a great location. I really can't fault this hotel, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wrigglespingpong
Reviewed April 27, 2010

Hotel Khamvongsa is the best guesthouse I've stayed in during the 14day overland trip from Chiang Mai to Vientiane. It has an old world colonial charm and (for Indochina) the best part is that it is REALLY clean. Their team of cleaners are mopping and cleaning empty rooms around 9am when you're out sightseeing. Fresh towels, clean sheets, clean bathrooms and good water pressure. Can't ask for more. Staff are very friendly too.

Choice of 5 different sets of breakfast - asian, european, american, south american and pancakes/waffles. Delicious, and you can have your breakfast in the internal courtyard.

It's only 3minutes away from the Mekong River and about 15minutes away from everything else. Location is great, with lots of restaurants just next door or few streets away. Or you could eat at the local Lao food stalls along the Mekong. www.hotelkhamvongsa.com/

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank Amesx
Reviewed April 15, 2010

Large room with wooden floors and wooden furniture in attractive colonial style - all kept spotlessly clean. Excellent shower like a mini wet room - the best we experienced on our 8week trip in SE Asia. Good choice of food at breakfast and great location for walking down to the river & around Vientiane.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sm1thy
Reviewed April 10, 2010

This was not only the chapest hotel of our whole trip but the best adn not just in terms of value for money.

The rooms were all brand new and in excellent condition and the breakfast (of which we had two different types) was excellent which is a rareity in SE Asia,

This hotel was recommended to me by y brother as excellent value from money but it exceeded all my expecations and I would have been pleased even if we had paid a lot more.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2010

After I checked in, I double-checked my online reservation. Why? Because this hotel is so beautiful, that I figured I must have made a mistake and simply must be paying more for my gorgeous room in this great location. Nope. It really is that extraordinary a value. My room rate included breakfast. And it was excellent - prepared with care and generous in portions. I was in SE Asia for a month and a half and this was the best hotel and the best value of them all. Excellent!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank nkozel
Reviewed March 30, 2010

I feel lucky to have found the Hotel Khamvongsa, based upon reviews from TripAdvisor.

The staff was helpful, friendly and generally went out of their way to meet my requests. For example, I needed a convertor for a 3-pronged AC adapter, and they dug one (almost literally) out of their storage closet for me.

While it's not a 5-star hotel (e.g. you aren't going to get Bliss body wash in your room), it has better and more attentive service than quite a few 5-Star Hotels I've stayed at (for example, the Westin in Shanghai).

The hotel manager provided me with a tourist map and (at my request) recommended a few places to go and restaurants to eat at. The recommendations were all spot on.

The room was spotless, though (its being Laos) there were a few mosquitos in the room. The hardwood floors and bed are charming. The shower and bathroom were very clean, and had excellent water heat and pressure. The A/C unit and fan both worked admirably well.

I had a great night's sleep, and the Samsung TV in the room had around 30 channels including CNN!

The Wifi wasn't particularly impressive in my room (weak signal strength) but they provided me with a wire and the internet speed over the wire is stable and more than adequate.

Breakfast in the small hotel courtyard is charming. They offer several different options, each of which looked excellent - I had the "Light European" which consists of a freshly baked croissant, fresh tropical fruits (the mango was particularly sweet), and local yoghurt with honey, accompanied by your choice of fresh fruit juice and coffee.

Highly recommended, if you come to Vientiane. Once again, at 25 USD, I'm not sure how they made any money off of me.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo