“Simple and tasty”

YuLaLa
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Other than a cosy atmosphere (shoe's off and sitting on the floor) the place attracts you with the simplicity of the menu and the taste of the food. All that is for very affordable price and served professionally.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

The little blackboard out the front asking you to take your shoes off before entering is what catches your eye to start off with... when you slide open the door to Yulala feet exposed to the rugged pavement you are hit with a burst of coolness flowing subtly from the airconditioning, followed by the charming traditional Japenese decor. I had a surprisingly easy on the pallet house white, my partner equally enjoyed a glass of their house red. I had the chefs special number 2. (vegetable soup, pickled vegetables, chicken breast stuffed with eggplant and tomato with a mushroom sauce and salad) - did your tastebudes swell with curiosity then? As they should of, wow it was yum! My partner had a pork and egg dish which was chef special 1 and came with an array of side dishes too. All in all, a great experience, you owe it to yourself to give this little gem a try!

Reviewed June 22, 2012

I only spent 2 nights in vientiane and I went there twice. First time it was lunch, I walked along the Heng Boun, passed the book shop and some interesting local eateries until i found the sign for Yulala. Once I stepped in, I knew I made the right choice: the air changed, not just the temperature, but the atmosphere. The quiet little place was filled with great choice of cello music, I chose the chef special, and I was amazed. It was nice Japanese home cooking with the use of some very Laos flavour. The homemade ginger ale was a plus. I was too full to have dessert, so I went back the other night, happy to find the place filled with great Jazz, got myself a very nice House White, and the green tea chiffon cake. I must say, that made itself Top 3 chiffon cakes I've ever had (no. 1 in Tokyo, no. 2 in Kyoto, and this, no.3). Do pay a visit here, if you are looking for a quiet, cozy, tasty meal.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

Yulala is a welcome difference from most restaurants in Vientiane. The skill of the chef shows in each dish. The flavors are subtly blended, pure and in harmony. This is a deft skill that few restaurants here have the ability to pull off.

If you are looking for a robust, "best steak in Vientiane" type of place drowned in an indifferent sauce then avoid Yulala.
If you want to savor each bite of your dinner then YuLaLa is a rare find.

Reviewed May 17, 2012

Ate here tonight and this place cannot be accused of being average. The meals were made with care and innovation, a very strange Laos/Japanese/western mix that really actually is pulled off quite well. I liked how the kitchen was open and you can see it's clean etc. The atmosphere is cosy and the waitresses attentive, the menu diverse. My only quibble is the portion size is not huge, so you'd expect more for the price, which is not cheap, but neither is it expensive. I would go here again.

1  Thank frothychocy