“Cool Atmosphere”
Review of Le Vendome

Le Vendome
Ranked #58 of 421 Restaurants in Vientiane
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Le Vendôme is a fun French restaurant in Vientiane. Here they have soufflés, pâtés, salads, wood-fired pizzas, terrines and steaks. My soufflé was delicious. The candle-lit, stucco interior, adorned with vintage bull-fighting posters, and frequented by young travelers from everywhere is a place for good food with an upbeat lively atmosphere. When I was there, I observed some interesting and colorful characters in the place, which added to the experience for me. While I was not impressed by the speed or the quality of the service, my food eventually came, and my drinks eventually arrived. Go to Le Vendôme with an open mind and a little patience, and you will have a good time and an enjoyable meal.

Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

This is an old classic in Vientiane. The food is nice, especially particular French specialities. The prices have always been very reasonable. I think the place has never been redecorated or given a fresh coat of paint and that is just adding to the cool ambience sitting on the outdoor veranda. The staff has during the last 17 years I have visited been a bit slow and not looking too cheerful, no idea why. Nevertheless, always an interesting mix of expats, tourists and
Lao there.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I can't understand it when people say Le Vendome is expensive, because it is not. I always take visitors to Vientiane there and they are never disappointed. The menu very French provincial which makes a nice change but the standard fare, but you can still get an excellent steak for less than $10 and I will guarantee it will melt in your mouth. The chef actually knows the difference between rare, medium and well done and always gets it right. And you can choose your potatoes - roast, mashed or fried, no problems. The house wine is very drinkable and won't break the bank. One word of warning though, you only need to order one entree between two. If you order one each you will find it a battle to finish your main course. I always have either the pate or the Salad Landaise. In fact one night three of us shared the Salad Landaise - people laugh when they see the size of it. Desserts are Frenchy - all cream and fruity stuff - just fine.
And it is safe - one night one of my guests ordered the Steak Tartare, which I thought was pretty brave, but he said it was excellent and suffered nothing later.
The other thing I like about it is the provincial atmosphere/architecture. If you ignored the beautiful fernery fringing the verandah, you could almost imagine German soldiers coming in for a beer - the place has that wonderful uncontemporary look about it.
Finally, price. I have yet to walk away with the bill reaching $20 a head, including Beerlao, house red, shared entree, a main course each and either dessert or a coffee.
This place never disappoints - it is an institution in Vientiane and it's easy to see why.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

All the food on the manu is expensive, but after we were bad on our stomac (the only time in 2 months S-E Asia). We haired the same story from other people

Reviewed December 28, 2013

This is a traditional nice restaurant with french style food, where expatriates and Lao friends meet
Now was high tourist season and the place dominated by tourists. with two friends I tried their Pizzas and got very disappointed. When a quattro stagioni is served with a mixture of something which looked like a mixture of leftovers and mainly based on cut sausages and onions it is not what you expect of this restaurant..