“great restaurant”
Review of Le Vendome

Le Vendome
Ranked #45 of 405 Restaurants in Vientiane
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We really enjoyed this restaurant. The food was excellent. Be aware that the sizes are very large. An entree was big enough for a main course if you are an average size eater.

There are newer reviews for Le Vendome

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Had seriously good wood fired pizza here. Very very tasty and huge - fresh toppings!

Service is slow and not with a smile though so don't go if you're in a rush!

Was very busy so no tables inside, outside terrace exceptionally hot (sat next to pizza oven too) so sweated like mad throughout as did everyone around us...bonus is free ice cold water to rehydrate when it's this hot- issue is ever getting a waitor to come outside to ask for a much needed top up!!

We really thought the food was good though so brushed aside other issues...recommend the pizzas highly!!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Very good value daily lunch specials for 22000 kip and other cheap lunch menus available if you don't like the special of the day.
Even keeping up with french habits and serving free water all the time. Been here several times years ago with customers and friends for diner and everybody always liked their dish.
Just been back for lunch menu twice this week and this is still good as before so suppose the rest of the menu is too.

People who get offended by long straws shouldn't worry about it too much as the staff told me everybody gets one with their shake and I saw it today as well.
Maybe they forgot to bring the short one they usually give when the travelling cats* came but that's no reason to think staff are making fun of them. What's more, I think it's rather undecent to come to give this place a low score and misplaced accusations of staff insulting customers while the place is full of happy returning customers every day.

*reviewing here earlier this month

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Around 9:30 this evening we were walking home after having had a wonderful dinner at a restaurant along the river, but we wanted to have coffee or dessert before heading back to our guest house. Most of the cafes we passed on the way were closed. We came across Le Vendome which was on the same block as our guest house, and decided to go in since we saw there were still people eating.

As we ordered, the staff just looked at us like he didn't understand anything we've said even after pointing out the items on the menu. So we repeated our orders to him, the same reaction. My husband spoke French since the menu was written so, while I asked for my strawberry milk shake in English as it was written so, even pointed it out on the menu. He ended up going in to get another staff who was able to understand the exchange fine.

Later they delivered the pie that my husband ordered with two spoons with it. After a while, his coffee. And after some minutes, the part that was shocking and seemed funny at first -- my strawberry milk shake was delivered with an 80 centimeter long straw... The worst joke ever. Even the guests at the other table were giggling like they've never seen something like that. My husband commented that I had to put the glass on the floor to be able to use the straw - or stand! Whoever thought of cracking the insulting joke on me was successful - I did not enjoy my drink.

At this fine dining restaurant - they make you look stupid like that. What did they think? That we could not afford to pay for dinner and so ordered only dessert?! Staff were unsmiling and looking like they wished they were not working there! They just dump the food and drink on the table and leave in a rush - fine. But making a joke out of your customers? Very arrogant.

NEVER AGAIN WITH LE VENDOME!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We went here for the 22000 kip lunch of the day and ended up coming back two more times. The food was simple yet absolutely delicious. We had beef the first two times and then pizza the third time. All excellent. The house red was good too. We found service very good on all occasions and left a tip each time. Very well priced especially the set lunch - what more could you want for 3 dollars?