“Don't go to vientiane and miss this place!”
Review of Makphet Restaurant - CLOSED

Makphet Restaurant
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Open Monday to Saturday from 11am to 10.30Pm (Kitchen closes at 9.30Pm) This award-winning restaurant (Miele Guide) is the culinary destination of choice in the Laotian capital, Vientiane. Makphet offers creative Lao cuisine, as well as great shakes and cocktails, all in beautiful surroundings. The restaurant also has a small gift shop attached to it, selling products made by families which will help keep their children in education.
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

It's a great cause for a start, and our waitress was superb.
But the best part was the food. Really lashed out and had a variety of dishes.
Every dish was amazing. Presentation and taste.
Highly recommend!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Nice place, with friendly stuff and tasty food. the only problem is that they have small portions and they are expensive. They tolds us that extra money goes for kids aid we wish its true. If it is so nothing negative about it.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

A 6pm arrival at Makphet was the perfect time to get seated without a reservation. Many tables were already reserved and the other tables filled up quickly thereafer. Dishes of choice: red curry, eggplant dip and a peppered beef dish. For dessert, pineapple drizzled with palm sugar caramel with a scoop of ice cream. All were delicious! Was a bit confused about the eggplant "dip" however because we weren't given anything to dip in it. After asking the friendly waitstaff, we were informed that sticky rice is what is dipped into their dips. I wasn't aware that they way "dips" were eaten was by balling up the sticky rice in your hands and using the ball as the dipping starch. I love spicy food but the eggplant dip was a bit too spicy for my enjoyment, the spicines of true Lao style. I wasn't really able to taste much of the flavors of the eggplant because it was so spicy so I woudln't recommend it to anyone who is sensitive to spice or anyone who likes to taste beyond a fiery mouth. Everything else was delicious and the dessert was so simple yet delicious!

Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is a fantastic restaurant but it it essential to book in advance! I would highly recommend everything on the menu (if you can manage it all at once) and the gift shop is also worth a look... they sell items made by poorer families to support them to send their children to school, for example.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Firstly, I liked the philosophy behind the restaurant. Second, I liked the idea to experiment. We (3 people) got a tiny table as the place was full, but that is OK when you share. I liked the food, especially some aubregine (eggplant) sauce. Probably, however, it was not memorable, as, after 2 days, I do not remember exactly all that we had. Spring rolls were OK. But the eggplant is the best I recall. It was really good. The food is spicy, and there is the attempt to combine different flavours in a very harmonious way. The ambient is, as the French would say, sympa. I liket the kids, and their smiles and kindness. We had a very nice evening, with good and healthy food. I am thankful to Trip Advisor as we went there after reading the reviews, and, overall, I agree with them.