“Absolutely excellent”
Review of Makphet Restaurant - CLOSED

Makphet Restaurant
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Open Monday to Saturday from 11am to 10.30Pm (Kitchen closes at 9.30Pm) This award-winning restaurant (Miele Guide) is the culinary destination of choice in the Laotian capital, Vientiane. Makphet offers creative Lao cuisine, as well as great shakes and cocktails, all in beautiful surroundings. The restaurant also has a small gift shop attached to it, selling products made by families which will help keep their children in education.
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is a fantastic restaurant but it it essential to book in advance! I would highly recommend everything on the menu (if you can manage it all at once) and the gift shop is also worth a look... they sell items made by poorer families to support them to send their children to school, for example.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Firstly, I liked the philosophy behind the restaurant. Second, I liked the idea to experiment. We (3 people) got a tiny table as the place was full, but that is OK when you share. I liked the food, especially some aubregine (eggplant) sauce. Probably, however, it was not memorable, as, after 2 days, I do not remember exactly all that we had. Spring rolls were OK. But the eggplant is the best I recall. It was really good. The food is spicy, and there is the attempt to combine different flavours in a very harmonious way. The ambient is, as the French would say, sympa. I liket the kids, and their smiles and kindness. We had a very nice evening, with good and healthy food. I am thankful to Trip Advisor as we went there after reading the reviews, and, overall, I agree with them.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Makphet is getting all the praise it deserves for helping Vientiane's children with essential training for their occupation and livelihood. Indeed, the kids working there were extraordinary in their discipline, eagerness to learn and quality of service provided to customers.

The location of Makphet is really good, just behind the busy tourist areas near the Mekong riverfront but quiet enough so that you have a meal in peace. The building itself is painted colorfully. I love the bright green interior walls and the decorations of rainbow-colored stuffed dolls made by the foundation.

I wish I could heap equal praise for the food but to be honest it was a letdown. Though the menu contained some interesting and creative items, our group felt the flavors were off., probably diluted for Western guests. So instead of the usual fiery or exciting tastes you get from traditional Lao dishes, everything came out "safe" and a bit bland. Not what we wanted for our first meal in Lao PDR.

Makphet is good as an educational/charity experience but if you want authentic Lao food that will blow your mind, this is not the place.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Cahrming young kids learning their trade and pretty good food makes a good combination.The haklf portions allow a wide sampling.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

nice idea that it helps local disadvantadged kids and i would recommend going purely for this reason. however was expecting something really special as everyone on this website and lonely plabnet both advise it. ended up being a bit dissapointed to be honest didnt enjoy meal one little bit neither did my friend. however may have just ordered the wrong things but my personal experience is to go but dont expect to much. great atmosphere by the way