“Safe Choice, but Heat is Either On or Off, No Middle Ground”

Hyatt Regency Bishkek
Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in Bishkek
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Stayed here for two weeks, the room was good-sized and the bathroom was big and well-appointed. The staff was helpful, food was good. The breakfast buffer had excellent choices, the soups available in the evening were consistently good. Plenty of electrical outlets, but internet connection was expensive at about $18 a day. The heat was a problem throughout my stay, and apparently it either has to be on or off, there's no adjusting it. I would ask that it be turned off in my room, return later in the day after I finished my work day and find the heat back on and the temperature at 26 degrees c. (close to 80 degrees f.). Had to repeat the process every day. The hot, dry room took its toll on my skin and upper respiratory systems. Lovely though the staff was, it was good to check out and get hydrated again!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank SoFudie
Paul M, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Bishkek, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your comments and feedback in relation to your recent stay with us.
We are pleased to read that our levels of service and facilities met your expectations, and at the same time appreciate your comment in regards to the temperature control in your room, please be assured that we will look into this for further improvement.
Best Regards

Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

Bishkek isnt the easiest place to get to in the world with most flights arriving very early or very late, having arrived at check in at 7am (admittedly early, but I had requested an early check in a week in advance) I was TOLD I would be charged for the previous night also, I'm reasonable and a 50% rate would probably have avoided a negative review but sadly this set the tone for my stay and I won't be returning to the Hyatt.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Dan M
Paul M, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Bishkek, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments in regards to your stay with us here at Hyatt Regency Bishkek.
In relation to your request for an early morning check in as you have mentioned i would like to assure you that all request for early arrivals are considered and accommodated whenever possible based on room availability and hotel occupancy.
Thank you once again for your time and feedback

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I have stayed at the Hyatt Regency many times. I don't have any alternatives in Bishkek to compare it to, but compared to other similar hotels worldwide it is on a similar level, thoughquite expensive, and with fairly cramped standard rooms (I think someone told me that the hotel was "inherited" so they just had to make the best of what they had). The basic rooms on the back really are quite cramped, but those on the front are nice and spacious. Either way, the beds are very comfortable and you will get a fantastic rest here...especially if you have just arrived from somewhere like Osh.

What else.....breakfast buffet is excellent, internet is also very reliable, and the front desk staff are very helpful.

So, clean, functional, comfortable and expensive. It just lacks that special je ne sais quoa.

Room Tip: If you can afford it the superior rooms on the front are much bigger, with nicer bathrooms
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Paul M, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Bishkek, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear Guest. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback in regards to your stay with us here at Hyatt Regency Bishkek.
We are always pleased to hear that the care and service provided by our team members meets our guest's expectations, at the same time I have shared your comments with the team and I know they will continue to work towards providing the highest level of service at all times, we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Bishkek.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

I stayed here for two nights in December. It was my first visit to Kyrgyzstan and it was a short trip, so I chose the Hyatt as a "safe option". I didn't want any surprises. The Hyatt was perfectly suitable.

There were plenty of power outlets around the room, the bathroom is huge (with separate bathtub and shower and robes), and there is even a microwave oven hiding behind a door. Bed was comfortable and there was also a sofa. Wake up call was on time. Overall, a perfectly nice room that my kids would have enjoyed visiting.

Ordered room service two times. Good basic food. The local noodles (lagman) and the rice options were adequate. Didn't want to try Western options. Didn't try breakfast as I was getting up early both days. Wifi was fast and fortunately free for Hyatt Gold Passport elite status. Never had to question the bill on check out. The published rates for the room are quite steep in my opinion, so I used 12k Gold Passport points per night (value around USD 200-250). I don't know if I would have stayed at the Hyatt without the points option.

I emailed the hotel before my arrival with some questions on sightseeing and a driver. The hotel offered to arrange a pick up at the airport, but I decided to negotiate a taxi on my own at a lower price (but not without the hassle of negotiating of course). I was able to catch an earlier flight and therefore arrived quite early in the morning. The front desk was gracious enough to let me check in early. Front desk spoke very good English. However, the front desk was not that knowledgable/helpful with one of my sightseeing questions.

On departure, check out was smooth and the taxi I had ordered the night before was already waiting for me. Overall, a good stay, and I would probably stay there again for a short trip (assuming I can use points). For a longer trip, I would probably consider other options.

Finally, should mention that there are ATMs and a live money changer in the lobby area. I was not able to use my ATM card at a half dozen ATMs at the airport or the hotel so I was grateful for the money changer with competitive exchange rates.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Paul M, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Bishkek, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and comments about your recent stay with us here at Hyatt Regency Bishkek.
We are always pleased to hear that the care and service provided by our team members meets our guest's expectations and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Bishkek.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

An expensive hotel that probably appeals to the visitor from the US. Despite a new general manager from Australia recently and an alleged make-over for the hotel itself, we found little to recommend it.

Most of the staff were fine, although there still remains a degree of Soviet-era "charm" from some (the concept of customer service is still an anathema to many former Soviet states).

Room 311 was affected by noise from rooms either side (receiving the full benefit of a loud one sided 'phone conversation that went on for some hours until after midnight, some "action thriller" TV turned up to 11 from the other) and perhaps also from speakers below that probably pipe music onto the verandah used for al fresco dining in summer (we were there 31/01/2014-04/02/2014, so definitely not summer, it was -15 to -20C), which had probably been inadvertently turned on (we could hear the music on the verandah as we walked back from the opera).

The quality of the double glazing was inadequate with cold penetrating the room quite readily (the air gap between the glass was too narrow and perhaps the incorrect thickness of the panes contributed. As we live in Ust-Kamenogorsk in far east Kazakhstan, we know what does and does not work for cold weather, dropping as it has down to -55C).

The drains in both the shower and the hand basin were blocked and had to be unblocked.

The hotel had to be reminded beforehand that they had not confirmed transport from the airport to the hotel. In the event, our plane was delayed by over an hour, but the driver waited for us and he was an extremely interesting and erudite individual who we can't recommend highly enough.

The lack of humidity in the airconditioning and probably the quality of the floor coverings led to quite high levels of static electricity being generated, discharging on any door handle, metal bodied laptop et cetera.

One of the credit card terminals at reception worked only intermittently and often refused to accept cards or rejected them as unauthorised and unable to use to pay for the stay ... for heaven's sake, remove the one that does not work and put in one that works ... it is beyond belief that in this day and age a large multinational hotel chain cannot have electronic credit card terminals that work correctly ...

The cost of in room Wi-Fi was exorbitant, considering that most hotels now do not charge for this. I cannot think of one in the past three years that has charged me for this facility and almost everything was an extra.

By the way, if you are going to charge for the use of Wi-Fi, please make it a more transparent process, so that every day you do not need to go through the charade of entering your room number and name to agree to be hit for another 950 som whilst in the middle of sending an e-mail ...

There are other hotels around Bishkek, but we did not have the luxury of investigating closely before booking and the booking was made at relatively short notice.

It is likely that I will need to stay here again in the near future, but should I find one more reasonable or better recommended, I would certainly prefer to stay there.

As we had just flown in from staying at the Rixos Almaty, the Hyatt was a huge shock and certainly nowhere near the level of service, amenities provided, quality of furnishings et cetera. The Rixos Almaty was also considerably cheaper (with free Wi-Fi and free breakfast).

I suspect the Hyatt can get away with charging whatever they wish it because of the huge presence of the US and their commercial and military interests in the region.

As an Australian, I am used to being extorted and whilst I don't mind paying for quality, but paying, being provided with a simulacrum and being taken as a fool is not my idea of fun.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ImmunoNucMed

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide us your comments and feedback about your recent stay with us here in Bishkek.
Please accept my apologies for the lapse in service during your stay, this is certainly not the level of service and care we pride ourselves on. As mentioned in our correspondence via email I can assure you that all of the team are looking forward to your next stay with us in March and I am sure that both you and your wife will enjoy the high level of service we work so hard to offer to all of our guests.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Been to Bishkek many times. Stayed at Hyatt twice. For Kyrgyz standards very expensive but normal USA rate for hotel. A lot of airline people stay at this hotel. Very comfortable but there are many places in Bishkek. Lots of restaurants and cafes.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Sam S
Paul M, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Bishkek, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your time and interest and providing us feedback in relation to your stay with us.
We appreciate your comments and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back at some point in the future.
Best Regards
Paul Murphy

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I loved my room and the toiletries .. had the feel of a boutique hotel. The breakfasts were fabulous, probably the most memorable in the 2-week stay in the region. Thre was an adequate conference room for one of our meetings.
Internet was spotty but perhaps that had more to do with the region than the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Paul M, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Bishkek, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments and feedback about your stay with us here at Hyatt Regency Bishkek.
We are always pleased to hear that the care and service provided by our team members meets our guests expectations, we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Bishkek.

Paul Murphy.