“Generally good but needs smartening up”

Ranked #7 of 61 Hotels in Astana
Reviewed September 5, 2012

First off, the business class room I had was excellent. Only downside was the poor water pressure in the shower and sink. Other issue was only one plug socket available so you have to juggle charging laptop, iPhone, iPad etc but other than those issues I was very comfortable. We used the meeting room facilities over 2 days and it ran smoothly with the service spot on. The staff were generally very helpful and courteous. Breakfast choices were good although the decor needs to be updated to bring it into the 21st centuary. All in all a well run and efficient Hotel. I shall be back.....

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Jesper F, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Astana, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Radisson Hotel, Astana.

We appreciate you taking the time to write your comments at TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay with us and we will use your feedback to fine tune our operations in the hope that upon your next visit, we can meet or exceed your expectations.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

Stayed in the hotel for a workshop which was held in the hotel. The facilities for having a large scale conference with hundreds of participants are good and also the catering was good (lunches and workshop dinner).

The room is not very large, but very comfortable. The bathroom is outstanding with a bidet and a very nice rain shower. There is a coffee and tea maker in the room and supplies are daily replenished. The amenities are luxurious. There is also a complementary bottle of mineral water daily. The free Wifi works with daily vouchers, it is quite fast. The airconditioning is sufficient, you can keep it switched on when you are absent on by putting a credit-card sized card in the switch device (I used the Carlsson loyalty card I was given at check-in for this purpose ;-) The room also has a safe and ironing board.

Roomservice food was very good and came quick. Also laundry service was very good, though not cheap. I had a broken light bulb, it was fixed within 5 minutes.

The Capri restaurant was stylish but I preferred the lobby bar for a quick bite and drinks. The Nasi Goreng was nice although not quite the same as in Jakarta or Amsterdam.

Given that it was excellent warm weather it was a pity that there is no outdoor pool available, or in fact not even a terrace or outside sitting area. However the hotel is on the banks of the river and straight opposite the hotel, reachable in five minutes by a pedestrian bridge, is a nice public beach (see photo). The entrance fee asked for the beach is 100 Tenge (50 Eurocents), so you need to have some local currency in your pocket. Beyond the beach is also a nice playground park suitable for a stroll towards what was said to be the largest flag in the world, and some people reported enjoying walking along the river up to the impressive government mall, which is however a few kilometres away.

The only negative I should report about the Radisson Blu Astana is that the check-out was extremely slow. When we needed to depart for the airport, a colleague of mine was in the queue for over half an hour and this caused some anxiety. Since it could have been expected that at the end of the workshop there would be lots of check-outs, only two desk clerks appeared to be not enough, also given that the check-out procedure was quite drawn out.

Overall a great place to stay!

Room Tip: River views high up in the building are nice
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Hermes_NL
Jesper F, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Astana, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Greetings from Radisson Hotel, Astana!

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with other travelers regarding your recent stay with us.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Radisson Hotel Astana we would like to thank you for your business and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Also, please accept our sincere apologies for the situation upon your check out time in which we failed to meet your expectations for the level of professionalism & quality guest service typical for the hotel of our level.

I am extremely grateful to receive your comments as such kind of comments give me an opportunity to follow up on the service and take measures to improve it.

If you will be traveling to Astana in the future, we would enjoy the opportunity to welcome you back to Radisson Hotel.

Of course, please feel free to contact me at your convenience if I may be of any further assistance.

Radisson Hotel, Astana

Reviewed May 19, 2012

I stayed for one week while on business. One of the two best hotels in Astana (the other being the Rixos). Everything you'd expect from a top notch hotel. I've heard others complain about the costs, but you are in Kazakhstan, not Kyrgyzstan, and cost of living is notably higher here. Plus, it's a Radisson and you get what you pay for. There are other hotels available at lower rates but the quality is commensurate with the fees they charge. The staff speaks English and the service is high quality. The hotel is not quite centrally located, but there are a number of good restaurants, bars, and cafes within a 10-15 minute walk. The Capri Restaurant has an outstanding breakfast buffet in the morning and the dinners off the menu are first rate. The Cigar Bar is a very comfortable place to relax at the end of the day over drinks or a light dinner as well.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Jesper F, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Astana, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2012

Greetings from Radisson Hotel, Astana!

We are very grateful for your feedback and hope you will enjoy your time in our hotel and will relax in Cigar Bar at the end of your busy days at your future stays at Radisson Hotel, Astana.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Radisson Hotel Astana we would like to thank you for your business and if you will be traveling to Astana in the future, we would enjoy the opportunity to welcome you back to Radisson Hotel.

Radisson Hotel, Astana
Kazakhstan

Reviewed April 10, 2012

Stayed for several days. First - Service! So friendly staff, always smiling! Immediately reaction about requests, great room service! Housekeeping staff is perfect too! Second - Value! I understand, what I've paid for! Five star standard in all amenities! Great experience! Sure, will stay again very soon!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Jesper F, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Astana, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2012

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to write your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Radisson Hotel Astana we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Reviewed April 4, 2012

This is a standard, western, high-quality hotel in Central Asia. Everything is clean and looks new, the free wi-fi and business center is an excellent bonus. The breakfast was large and varied and had choices for seemingly every taste. The staff is polite, capable, and well-trained. The only criticism is that the heating in the winter is centrally controlled. In -25C weather, the heat was functioning well; so well, in fact, that my room was stifling hot and the heated floor in the bathroom was so hot, it hurt to step on it. The only way to adjust the temperature was to open the windows. The hotel is a short walk or a quick taxi ride away from most sites.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

Pros: This is a magnificent looking hotel where you will instantly feel comfortable. The facilities are excellent, the food in the restaurants and indeed room service is of a high standard with a surprising amount of variety. There are two excellent bars that also serve food, one of which stocks excellent cigars. The hotel staff are very polite, very well trained and very accommodating. The complimentary breakfast does notdissappoint and neither do the spa facilities. The bathrooms are spacious and comfortable and all modern-conveniences including foldable ironing board are availabe in the room. Free reliable wi-fi was available along with ample complimentary mileral water.

Cons: My driver was rude. Now I understand that the culture in an ex-soviet state is not really condusive to instant friendliness but when I am paying for limousine from a five-star hotel I expect at the very least a nod of acknowledgement from the driver when I introduce myself and I also expect him to take my bags. I received neither of these things and what was expressly irritating was how he suddenly became all smiley and talkative around the part of the journey when he gets his tip! Another potential con was that the bathroom door of my hotel room was transparent. Not a problemwhen travelling alone but no matter how close a couple may be, I draw the line at other people being able towatch me defecate. This might not be the case in other rooms though!

Overall yes I will be staying here again next time i'm in Astana.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the front of the hotel. Excellent view of the bridge!

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire staff let me thank you for staying at Radisson Hotel, Astana and hope to see you back soon.

As for the issue with the drivers I have spoken with them about this incident and a full training session is arranged to help our employees to learn effective skills of 5 Star Hotel.

Let us express our apologies for any inconvenience caused by the above mentioned fact and we hope that it won't discourage you from visiting our beautiful hotel.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

Great breakfast as was the room service! The resturant was closed by the time I had checked in, so I ordered the pizza to my room and was not disappointed. Room was great with a fabulous bathroom. The staf was very helpful and spoke very good English. I didn't have much time to look and see all the attractions the hotel had to offer, but for the night I was there, it was a good stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Radisson Hotel, Astana. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. All your nice comments are additional motivation for all our staff. We hope that at your next arrival you will have more days to enjoy your stays at our hotel.

Look forward to welcoming you back to the Radisson Hotel, Astana on your next visit to Astana.

Best Regards,