“Warm service in freezing city”
Review of Grand Park Esil

Grand Park Esil
Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in Astana
Istanbul
“Warm service in freezing city”
Reviewed February 18, 2011

I stay each time I travel to Astana, in Esil. My first time was in Astana Park Hotel, which is not bad but far away from the daily life, not preferable for me.
The hotel had a renovation shortly before and everything seems better now. The staff is really international. Stay away room no:324 in winter and rainy days. The reason is the incredible sound of dripping water drops on the zinc roof. I asked for a replacement and they gave me another room the day after. Pity that I noticed later on, that the caviar and fruit I put in the fridge are left behind in the other room.
Anyway, I asked to the reception and they could not find it, since the room service probably threw it away. The final was happy as usual here, I returned to my room at the evening and found 2 new caviars on my desk. After that, a room service lady in nice suit knocked the door to serve me with a full huge plate of fruits!!! Delicious experience.
(-) points
*Small rooms even you select the deluxe room
*Soap and shampoo are of low quality
*They can forget the towels, bathrobe, toilet paper, razor, toothbrush sets and slippers most of the time and you need to ask for them.
*Not necessarily too wide spraying shower handset, change them guys, why need to center my face under the spraying water to wash it properly?

(+) points
*82" Samsung LCD with movie playing usb socket
*Great working heating and hot water system (it is -35 now outside, but i am closing the heater)
*Very clean rooms and corridors
*Good English speaking staff (even the elevator guys)
*You want, they do, even something missing, simply ask for it, and do not feel on the ropes.
*Good security level with card system and double locking inside the door.
*Great central location near congress hall.
*Very efficient fast Wi-fi connection free of charge
*Very quiet.
*Indoor swimming pool (yes!)
*Good fitness center, massage room and dry sauna.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank twingotrip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2011

One of the great surprises about Kazakhstan is how expensive everything is. And that includes this hotel. It has, however, a great deal to learn if it is to really be a four star hotel in my book.

It is supposed to be 'centrally located'. I'm not really sure that I would describe it as that; it seemed to take a long time to get anywhere from the hotel although it has to be said that Astana is quite spread out and has two distinct old and new halves.

The room we had was a very small twin, with very narrow beds. Worse than that these beds must be the hardest I have ever slept (or tried to) on. I like a hard mattress (the last time I bought one in London, I spent months searching for one that was hard enough) but this felt more like sleeping on a board rather than a mattress.

The bathroom was very tatty, and the shower head holder was broken.

The staff at the front desk were not particularly friendly and nor were they particularly efficient. They made me pay an 'extra bed' supplement on departure because there were two people in the twin room, and according to them I had only prepaid for the room and not two people using it. I tried to debate the issue but they were having none of it. So I paid up. A week later, I did get a apologetic phone call to say that I had prepaid for two people and that they would refund the extra charge, so at least that was a point in their favour.

I have only stayed in Astana this once and so I have nothing to compare it with. However, a brief visit to the rather nice-looking lobby of the Kings Hotel (we were lost and needed directions/a taxi!) convinced me that there are better places to stay in Astana than the Grand Park Esil.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mark121
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed January 19, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night transiting on business from Uralsk to Abu Dhabi. The airport pickup and transfer was fine. The service on check in and check out was efficient and friendly. The room was clean, basic and functional (what I paid for) and most important the hot water and heating were without fault. I used the front desk to ask several detailed questions and to book a taxi tour of the city and I was not dissapointed in any way. They went out of thier way to help and assist me and left me very happy with thier service and most important in Kazakhstan, with thier command of the english language. The restaurant was a delight and the food of a fine standard. Actually quite an experience in service and culinary delights. I travel extensively for business and this is one of the better hotels.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2010

There's nothing very great about the hotel, but also nothing very bad - it is more than fine. Rooms are smallish and a bit tired, food is OK but not gourmet, location is pretty good (central, near to most offices), and staff are mostly friendly (but not overwhelmingly so). Free wifi is included in the room price, which is a plus. I enjoyed my stay there, and the Grand Esil certainly has more character than the modern chain hotels.It is perfectly adequate, plus a bit more. But nothing to overwhelm the guest.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Astana
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Positioned over the road from the Akimat and Sine Tempore shopping mall, this hotel is in a good area of Astana for strolling in summer. Our room wasn't particularly spacious, but adequate. The combination of awkwardly positioned light switch and narrow corridor between sink and tub in the bathroom did leave me with a bruised hip, but I got used to perching on the edge of the tub to brush my teeth during our week's stay. The internet worked reasonably well, and though the hall sometimes stank of raw sewage it was generally clean. No coffee/tea making facilities, and the included breakfast is so-so but generally edible. In summer there's an outdoor beer garden attached where we've this year had decent shashlik. Some of the receptionists speak a bit of English.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed July 9, 2010

good net connection, relatively spacious rooms, friendly staff and appropriate service.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business