“Not that great”

Manor House Boutique Hotel
Ranked #6 of 331 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

I was expecting much more for the price I paid and for the prices they charge for Phnom Penh. Although the room was very clean the furnishings were a hodge podge of what looked to be "hand me downs" they picked up off the street. The staff were very friendly and accommodating however the owner was not. He appeared genuinely disinterested and was quite "stand offish". It's almost as if he's either tired or has lost interest in the hospitality business. Can't say I would ever stay there again or recommend this place to anyone, there is much better value and service for dollar in Phnom Penh

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
OwnerPhnomPenh, Owner at Manor House Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Dear YouHaveToBekidding,
Thank you for taking the time to review Manor House.
However, having dealt with the public for over 40 years I realize that I cannot please everyone, particularly with your nickname of “YouHaveToBekidding”. Having read your other reviews (4 negative reviews out of 5) on highly rated establishments, I feel it would be difficult to please you.
“Furnishings were a hodge podge of what looked to be "hand me downs" they picked up off the street”….. You have to be kidding!!!! Each of our rooms are individually decorated to a standard fitting our price range within Phnom Penh.
I urge prospective guests to read the many positive reviews of myself and of Manor House in general.
David

There are newer reviews for Manor House Boutique Hotel

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Not so far from the city centre (tuk-tuk available outside), it's a beautiful house with a little garden with a small but comfortable swimming pool. Rooms are quite spacious normally furnished. Breakfast well prepared. The staff is kind. Nothing wrong but even nothing really special.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lukavr
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Had an enyoyable 5 night stay at this small friendly hotel. The rooms are comfortable, the location is just out of the main tourist drag and the pool is awesome. The best thing about the place is the staff. From the maid service to reception, the tuk tk drivers to the bar staff, all were genuinely friendly and welcoming. Ive never felt as comfortable as quickly in any other hotel. Its a small enterprise that offers personiased service. If you want to be just a number and unrecognised, this isnt the place. Breakfast is on 6 to 12 so there is no chamce of missing it. Delivery is available from many resturants if thats what your after. They offer same day laundry and a very competitve price. Basically, 2hy stay at a dodgy guesthouse when probably for the same price you can stay here. As for gay friendly - its everyone friendly. During my stay there were all different people from all over enjoying thier stay. I will be staying here the next time in Phenom Penh for sure.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Rockyrips
Reviewed September 10, 2013

After a few weeks of working in rural areas around Siem Reap a friend suggested we stay at Manor House. We ended up booking the deluxe room to treat ourselves to a bit of comfort.
I have to say this is JUST what we needed. We had a wonderful time. The staff are fantastic and so friendly. Always willing to help at any stage. The location is quite central and yet at the same time behind the gates you feel hidden away from the craziness of Phnom Penh! The pool area is great for chatting and meeting other guests (some who we are now in constant contact with as good friends).
Thank you to David and SK and all the staff at Manor House for making our time with you so enjoyable! We will be back soon!
P.S These guys make a mean Black Russian!!!!

Room Tip: The deluxe room.....INCREDIBLE!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank LilRedFoxSR
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Manor House is a very friendly and welcoming gay-friendly place to stay in Phnom Penh. A two-minute walk from Independence Monument and many nice restaurants and bars and just a five-minute tuktuk ride from the old town and its sights, it is well located. The rooms are simple, but clean and comfortable. Breakfast is fresh. And the owner and his staff make you feel very welcome.
I enjoyed staying here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I have just completed a most enjoyable 5 days in Phnom Penh. What a wonderful city. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Manor House. It is very clean, quiet and comfortable. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the pool/cafe area is a great place for meeting other guests and swapping travel ideas and experiences at the end of a day's sightseeing. I would happily stay here again - in fact, I think it's highly likely I will!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Peaceful residence in the centre of the city. It's about a 20 min walk to the river front where most of the action is but still plenty of bars & restaurants nearbye. There is always a tuk tuk outside if you prefer not to walk. Staff were very helpful & gave me directions to get a visa. I was travelling to Vietnam next day and managed to get a visa within 24 hours from the travel agency around the corner. Had trouble with my safe but they sorted it out straight away. I stayed in the cheapest standard room and it was large with bathroom. Basic but just what I needed although I felt the rooms were a bit expensive(compared to Siem Reap). Staff were very approachable and understood my english. I felt I was speaking to friends which made me relax more.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo