“a gem in busy Phnom Penh: great rooms and excellent service in colonial villa”
Review of Villa Langka

Villa Langka
Ranked #24 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
's-Hertogenbosch, Netherlands
“a gem in busy Phnom Penh: great rooms and excellent service in colonial villa”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for more than a week this month (July 2013). The neighbourhood is quiet.
Our - spacious - room was in the original building: it had a large bed (perfect for us big, tall westerners), a big bathroom with walk-in shower, and it was tastefully decorated. Breakfast is a buffet: partly Kmer (e.g. tropical fruit, vegetables) and western style (bread, cornflakes, boiled egg, fried egg, etc.).
The manager is French but speaks excellent English. The personnel (boys and girls serving at table, cleaning lady, reception) speaks good English. Everybody is pollite and attentive.
During my stay in Phnom Penh I fell ill (dehydration, stomach problems). The attention I received from manager and personnel was such as I have never experienced before, and my husband and I are experienced travellers. They not only regularly inquired after my health but also offered valuable advice about the right kind of food and drink for my upset system.

Room Tip: Our travel agent had booked a room for us in the original Villa Langka, a building in the old French...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Thai first
Tashkent
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I lived in Cambodia for 2 years, and still visit this country quite often. Every time I stay in Villa Langka boutique hotel. I choose this hotel by many reasons - first of all very convenient location - few minutes from Independence monument and main streets of the city. Second reason is that staff in hotel are always very friendly and willing to help any day any time, even it is already too late or still too earlier. I love this hotel, because they have everything that I need for reasonable , I would even say, cheap price. I would strongly recommend this hotel to all , who doesn't looking for luxury, but comfort and nice small hotel. You will feel yourself as in your home.

Room Tip: Some basic rooms don't have doors between shower room and room itself, so, it will be quite bad...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed staying a few weeks at the Villa Langka while in Phnom Penh on business. The staff were very friendly and attentive, the balcony door so soundproof that I couldn't hear a knock on the door, the food very good and quick. I love a freshmade omelette and pancakes in the morning. It is central to anywhere you'd want to go, the pool is a definite plus after a long hot day, the complimentary water every day kept me from dehydrating ... plenty of smiles from English-speaking tuk-tuk drivers in front of the hotel that don't try to take advantage of foreigners at the hotel, There were a few little down sides: the telephone didn't work during the whole of my stay, but I didn't need it except for ordering room service anyway; the bed was a little hard for my taste; the combination of that with the air conditioning aimed directly at the bed kept me up a few nights at first; and there were no newspapers during the weekends. There were moments when the internet was down, but then all I'd need to do was to take my laptop down to the pool area to link to another hotel network, and all was fine. None of what I mention would keep me from staying here again. I had a good time at the Villa Langka, and a productive one, too.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dubai
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Villa Lanka is a beautiful little hotel. We checked in and had just taken the standard room. After being shown to our room in the new part of the hotel we decided to take a bigger room. The room was fine, just very small, ideal for a single traveler but not for a couple in my view! Anyway they were happy to move us and I was happy to pay a bit more. The room we were given in the old villa part (11) was fantastic. Everything else about the hotel was fine, great pool area, food etc. A touch noisy at night (not helped by the fact it was election time), but also it's an old building so not well sound proofed, but this is all part of the character.

Would recommend for sure....

Room Tip: Try and take a room in the old building.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
vl282, General Manager at Villa Langka, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at Villa Langka and room was up to your expectations! We appreciate that you commended our food quality and atmosphere of the pool area.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed here for 5 days last month.

Positive:
- central location, reasonable price
- staff were very nice and accommodating
- good size room and bathroom
- food and drinks were good
- pool area

Almost negative:
- gift shop was very expensive
- room service (phone line) not working
- bed was a bit uncomfortable
- intermittent wi-fi connection
- air-conditioning system not strong enough for the scorching Phnom Penh heat
- can be noisy during the day due to ongoing construction nearby

Room service not working for

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

vl282, General Manager at Villa Langka, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments! In fact our telephone system is beeing replaced but still our room service can be ordered at the bar and delivered to your room for your comfort. We apologize for the inconvenient during your stay. Also I don't see anyconstruction nearby (except at the corner of Norodom & street 282)and the hotel is very quiet for such a central location.
I sincerely hope to welcome you back one day to experience our improvements!
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here for a couple nights while in PP. The pool is really lovely and so is the breakfast. Staff were quite friendly and nice as well. The location is perfect in central PP.

The only complaints are that it was hard to fill the bathtub and the water was not warm enough and that the pool area could get a bit crowded. Otherwise, I would definitely recommend this to anyone!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
vl282, General Manager at Villa Langka, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for your review and your positive feedback! We are happy that you enjoyed our property services & facilities.
We will be happy to welcome you again in a near future.
Reviewed July 7, 2013

A piece of paradise in PP. The rooms were large, cool and clean. Beds very comfortable and bathrooms light and clean. The key to this feeling of an oasis is the pool area and the staff. Staff were great, helpful and attentive. The food was very tasty and all set around the pool, which they have created as the hotel hub. The area provides reading areas, dining areas, sunbathing and swimming all separated by some innovative plantings that create space.
The hotel had a van available at competitive rates with a good guy driving.

The area around the hotel was great too. There were a good number of quality bars and restaurants within a couple of hundred metres.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
vl282, General Manager at Villa Langka, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
We would like to thank you for your positive and motivating review. I will share your kind comments with the staff. We are glad that your stay at Villa Langka was enjoyable and we will be happy to welcome you again in future.