“family oriented”
Review of The Kabiki

The Kabiki
Ranked #15 of 281 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I know that this is a family hotel but I still booked it and gladly I did. Love children so kids playing around is not a problem with me. The best part of this hotel is their big pool shaded with trees and uses salt water and lots of chairs to get lazy with. Agreed with other reviewers, you will not feel that you are in the center of the city. Not even a sound of car engine can be heard. Their garden has fully grown different kind of trees which makes it cooler. my room is on the 2nd floor with a small balcony covered with mangoes. It is clean and big enough for me. but not enough place to put my clothes. The staffs are really nice and friendly. Karen (I think the head of the team) is very cheeky and friendly. She is very knowledgeable about Phnom Penh and gives good advices with bargaining. The staffs are always smiling especially at the restaurant. Wifi is working well in whole area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank burundiexpat

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Traveling with a friend, we found the Kabiki by accident after fleeing the $20 a night place we had booked in advance. The staff is very helpful, calling to make dinner reservations or making suggestions about what to see, the rooms are surprisingly spacious and nicely designed, and almost all of them have outdoor space, a nice touch. Breakfast included some of the best baked goods we had in Cambodia, and the pool, with its shaded lounges, was divine. One note - the presidential quarters (or some such) are on the same block, so taxis and tuktuks cannot drive you through the gate to the front entrance of the hotel. But it's no problem - the bellstaff will come out and collect you and your things.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank chameleonesque
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This place has the pool of your dreams. It is cool and shaded and tiled green which makes it look even cooler...exactly what what is needed in 40 deg temps. The staff are very friendly, the rooms are well appointed and clean, include fresh fruit daily + they smell great with lemon grass oil burners. The restaurant is great any time of the day, including sunset cocktails. This place is family friendly too. It is located down a quiet private road. I have stayed here twice and would love to make this a home away from home again in the future.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank searover69
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I was a guest at the Kabiki on two occasions in the past two weeks and was very impressed:
- overall great stay in the hotel and its lovely garden and pool
- knowledgable and helpful manager who has a lot of experience with the hotel group that owns this property
- friendly staff

Stay here when in Phnom Penh.

Room Tip: The double deluxe room is nice
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Martin1190
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for two nights. The four of us (mom, dad, child age 11 and child age 8) stayed in one room (#19) on the second level. We paid $95.00 per night. Our experience was a bit dissapointing. If I had to do it over, I would have paid more money for a better hotel. Here are the reasons why:

The room: The beds were not very comfortable. There were loose floor tiles. No wash cloths were provided. There was no bath tub. The towels were frayed. According to the kids, the remote control to the TV did not function.

The front desk: There was a new employee assigned to the front desk who spoke virtually no English. I nicknamed him "Lerch" after the character in the TV show, "The Adams Family." On our first night, I asked him for a restaurant reccomendation. He stared at the city map and after a long moment, pointed to it and said "River." That was it.

The breakfast: There was no variety. One is served a few pieces of fruit and bread, and there is a choice of eggs cooked either fried, scramble, or boiled. The eggs came with a choice of ham (one processed sliced) or bacon (one small piece). On our second morning, my son looked down only to discover THERE WERE ANTS crawling over his one slice of ham. The staff did indeed serve him a new portion.

The pool: My daughter and son thought the pool was a bit dirty. They would know as during the course of our three week trip through SE Asia, they swam in six different hotel pools. They are also competition swimmers at home. They know about swimming pools.

The owner: Here is the aspect of the stay that bothered me the most. While having a drink at the poolside bar, the bartender pointed out the hotel owner to me. She is a young French women. I suspect she is one of several owners. She was accompanied by an older woman and a gentleman who rides a 2002 silver Ducati Monster. I do not know their names. I made an attempt to talk with her. She was more focused on a particular cat and her kittens than she was in having any kind of conversation with her paying customers. She was trying to persuade the mother cat to adopt an abandoned kitten found on the street. While perhaps that is a noble cause, I think the guests should be a priority. She set no example for her employees. If she showed no interest in her guests, than why should her employees. It illustrated poor ownership and hotel management skills.

The cats: I actually like cats. There are many of them here. If you like cats, stay here. They were all approachable.

One positive note: My daughter stepped on a bee near the pool. The front desk manager whose name I do not know, was great. She did their best to attend to her and her swollen foot.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Nixynunu
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This was one of the best hotels we stayed in at the end of a month traveling in Vietnam and Cambodia. The peaceful location in beautiful gardens close to the Prime Minister's house, yet within a few minutes walk from some of the main sights, was perfect. The staff were friendly and helpful and breakfast of home made muesli, tropical fruits and bread was delicious. The room (on the ground floor with a balcony) was spacious and it was amazing to wake up to the sounds of tropical bird-song. A/c worked well and there was also a ceiling fan. There were some problems with the bathroom when we first arrived (smell of drains, non-fitting wash-basin plug and loose toilet seat) but these were fixed within hours of reporting them.

The swimming pool was a good size and shady with plenty of places to sit or lie.

Guests should be aware that taxis or tuk-tuks have to stop at the end of the street (there is a security barrier) but our tuk-tuk driver readily helped us with our bags and the hotel staff were always on hand to assist.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aldman64
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

We booked directly with the hotel. The email service was great with quick response. We stayed in a superior twin room(room no.1). We liked everything. The room was big and clean. There is good free wi-fi. The included breakfast was good. Since I needed lactose free omelette I needed to order with other toppings. The omelette cost only $3. You could buy extra's for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: April 2013