Okay Guesthouse Phnom Penh
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$176
$58
$105
$75
Agoda.com
La Rose Suites(Phnom Penh)
$130
Agoda.com
TeaHouse(Phnom Penh)
$32
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsroyal palacebudget accommodationkilling fieldssisowath quaynational museumguesthouseshostel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 6, 2012

The reception was good. Staff helpful with requests. Unlike other reviews, the staff was not unfriendly at all, but not extremely personal or friendly either.

Restaurant downstairs is nice and open towards the street with a holiday-atmosphere, with many travelers hanging around in the morning and at night. Food is good, with both a choice of western and Asian (I would go with the local dishes).

The room is absolutely tiny, and so are the corridors and staircases (I think less than 90cm). It is typical to do it in this style of guesthouses this way. The bathroom had everything: sink, toilet and hot shower. The bathroom was so tiny, that the door hit the toilet bowl, and could not open fully. But I enjoyed my rest and the room was clean. (I see another review that talks about a big room; perhaps different rooms)

Hot water did not work; i did not bother to ask, but I assume they would have fixed it or given me another room.

For the prices the room was simply good, and included a fan, but they have air-cons too.

Other reviews complained about tuk-tuk drivers - the hotel explicitly states that they are not there business, unless ordered through the guest house.

Room Tip: Note: most hotels here have a number of warnings posted around the room about safety and against illegal activities. Do what they advice and you will have a safe and happy stay. For example, I always left my laptop in their care for safekeeping. Second ask for a bigger room, especially if you are with two people.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This guesthouse is quite good. We stayed for 3 nights and it was fine. The room was big with windows but thats because we got a good room. Some of the rooms are small without windows. The bathroom was rubbish though. You can barely fit in there and the shower is literally over the toilet (Asian style!) so i didn't like that. It was clean though and the staff will book everything for you and are very friendly.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2012

A total disaster. Our experience in this not okay hotel that used to be trustable and clean, have only stories on bad food, dirt rooms,.bad services and lies on the security cause they want to sell you their stuff by telling you that the area and tuk-tuks are all unsafe. Instead we discover a totally safe area and enjoyed a lot walking all the time. Same for Visa to Vietnam. Don't hear them. Go to the agencies and make it for less or directly to the embassy.

The sheets were impossible. Had to use my own. Breakfast expensive and terribly bad quality as bread, juices and coffee were simply disgusting.
Finally, insects and a super small bathroom (les than 1m square) made us feel completely disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Not dirt cheap, but cheap enough considering. The rooms are well maintained and clean, the management organised and friendly. They will book taxi / tuk tuk / bus, at a price that you can easily save a few dollars on by doing it yourself. But then it is convenient and easy to let them do it!

No complaints.

Room Tip: look a few rooms and choose one doofus
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ben N
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I at first wanted to give them a higher rating. Until I remember something....

The good things of this guest house was:
1. good triple room.
2. clean bathroom with adequate water pressure
3. very friendly staff
4. providing a lot of service (laundry, acceptable meal, tuk-tuk service)
5. flexible, we originally book 2 triple room and 1 double room for 8 of us. In the end they allow us to switch to 2 double room and 1 triple bcz one of our friends did not follow the trip in the end.

The things to be improve:
1. Poor and narrow double room.
2. narrow alley to the room with sometimes no lighting at night.
3. the cafe was not spacious enough
4. DISHONESTY of one of the male staff (or probably he was the son of the owner??)

ok, the story was like that:
We booked the air-conditioning (a/c) triple room at 15usd and a/c double room at 12 usd months ago. When we reached the guesthouse, I told them I wanted to pay but I have forgotten the rate and lazy to check my mailbox. They told me that it was 20usd for an a/c tripe room and 15usd for an a/c double room. I trusted them and paid.

At night, I felt that we were somehow out of budget with the money allocated for accommodation, so i checked back the email and found out the truth ( which was they collected 9USD more per night!!!)

Thus, I told them to trace back the e-mail and the male staff told me:
Because you guys reached much earlier (which is 10:30am, in stead of 1:30pm) than expected. Our room have not yet ready, so they prepared us a better air-conded rooms, so it was more expensive.
However, they should actually offer us to wait until 1:30pm so that we did not need to spend more (total 18 USD because we stay for two nights!) Also, they did not inform us that they have upgraded our room at first until I asked them.

Actually I dont thk that there were two types of air-conded room. They were just challenging us to switch to a not-so-good airconded room if we want back the booking price on the second night. In fact, on their website, I didn't found there are two types of a/c triple room, neither do a/c double room.......

Another scenario, showing the dishonesty of the male staff:
We booked a tuk-tuk at XUSD. We wanted to go to Russian market and he said we need to pay extra 5 USD. I asked him how long we can be in Russian market, he said as long as we like, two to even three hours was not a problem. We can reach our guest house around 6 to 7 at evening.
The next day, the other staff told us that we must depart from Russian market at 4pm. I felt that I was cheated again. I argued with them. The very friendly female staff, claiming that she was the mother of the male staff, apologized to us, saying that she would pay for us if we was over-charged by the tuk-tuk. She said that it was a misunderstanding and hope we forgive her son. We did not want to create more issues and I was satisfied with the solution given by the lady. So we decided to rush through russian market and depart at 4pm.

I wanted to say that, the female staffs at the counter (gave them 4 stars =D) was very very friendly and helpful. We like them a lot. But not the dishonest guy (gave him 1 star) !! People, Okay Guest house worth a visit, but you have to check everything properly, with receipt stating ALL the details as your evidence!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends