“Tricky, dirty, bad services....”

Okay Guesthouse Phnom Penh
Ranked #76 of 325 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Madrid, Spain
“Tricky, dirty, bad services....”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

A total disaster. Our experience in this not okay hotel that used to be trustable and clean, have only stories on bad food, dirt rooms,.bad services and lies on the security cause they want to sell you their stuff by telling you that the area and tuk-tuks are all unsafe. Instead we discover a totally safe area and enjoyed a lot walking all the time. Same for Visa to Vietnam. Don't hear them. Go to the agencies and make it for less or directly to the embassy.

The sheets were impossible. Had to use my own. Breakfast expensive and terribly bad quality as bread, juices and coffee were simply disgusting.
Finally, insects and a super small bathroom (les than 1m square) made us feel completely disappointed.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Not dirt cheap, but cheap enough considering. The rooms are well maintained and clean, the management organised and friendly. They will book taxi / tuk tuk / bus, at a price that you can easily save a few dollars on by doing it yourself. But then it is convenient and easy to let them do it!

No complaints.

Room Tip: look a few rooms and choose one doofus
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ben N
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I at first wanted to give them a higher rating. Until I remember something....

The good things of this guest house was:
1. good triple room.
2. clean bathroom with adequate water pressure
3. very friendly staff
4. providing a lot of service (laundry, acceptable meal, tuk-tuk service)
5. flexible, we originally book 2 triple room and 1 double room for 8 of us. In the end they allow us to switch to 2 double room and 1 triple bcz one of our friends did not follow the trip in the end.

The things to be improve:
1. Poor and narrow double room.
2. narrow alley to the room with sometimes no lighting at night.
3. the cafe was not spacious enough
4. DISHONESTY of one of the male staff (or probably he was the son of the owner??)

ok, the story was like that:
We booked the air-conditioning (a/c) triple room at 15usd and a/c double room at 12 usd months ago. When we reached the guesthouse, I told them I wanted to pay but I have forgotten the rate and lazy to check my mailbox. They told me that it was 20usd for an a/c tripe room and 15usd for an a/c double room. I trusted them and paid.

At night, I felt that we were somehow out of budget with the money allocated for accommodation, so i checked back the email and found out the truth ( which was they collected 9USD more per night!!!)

Thus, I told them to trace back the e-mail and the male staff told me:
Because you guys reached much earlier (which is 10:30am, in stead of 1:30pm) than expected. Our room have not yet ready, so they prepared us a better air-conded rooms, so it was more expensive.
However, they should actually offer us to wait until 1:30pm so that we did not need to spend more (total 18 USD because we stay for two nights!) Also, they did not inform us that they have upgraded our room at first until I asked them.

Actually I dont thk that there were two types of air-conded room. They were just challenging us to switch to a not-so-good airconded room if we want back the booking price on the second night. In fact, on their website, I didn't found there are two types of a/c triple room, neither do a/c double room.......

Another scenario, showing the dishonesty of the male staff:
We booked a tuk-tuk at XUSD. We wanted to go to Russian market and he said we need to pay extra 5 USD. I asked him how long we can be in Russian market, he said as long as we like, two to even three hours was not a problem. We can reach our guest house around 6 to 7 at evening.
The next day, the other staff told us that we must depart from Russian market at 4pm. I felt that I was cheated again. I argued with them. The very friendly female staff, claiming that she was the mother of the male staff, apologized to us, saying that she would pay for us if we was over-charged by the tuk-tuk. She said that it was a misunderstanding and hope we forgive her son. We did not want to create more issues and I was satisfied with the solution given by the lady. So we decided to rush through russian market and depart at 4pm.

I wanted to say that, the female staffs at the counter (gave them 4 stars =D) was very very friendly and helpful. We like them a lot. But not the dishonest guy (gave him 1 star) !! People, Okay Guest house worth a visit, but you have to check everything properly, with receipt stating ALL the details as your evidence!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank TJoo

Travelers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This place is pretty good value, and is a good place to meet other travellers in the communal area downstairs. Food is good and reasonably priced, as are the drinks. I booked a trip to the Killing Fields through Okay, and was happy with the service provided. Staff are friendly and helpful, and allow you to run up a tab and pay at the end. The rooms are clean and comfortable, but basic. Okay is in a pretty good location - only minutes from the riverfront, where many bars, restaurants, and tourist attractions are situated.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Rooms are clean and comfortable, staff friendly when they think they may make money from you, less than helpful when they understand you don't. Rooms are small and TV reception was terrible. An average place in an average location, reasonable prices. they don't allow guests without extra ID.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Paul D
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed August 13, 2012

very nice guesthouse situated a little off the big boulevard in Phnom Penh. We stayed there three nights in total. The room wasn't too big, but was clean. They clean the room every day, you can have good food here for a good price.
As most guesthouse they can arrange bustrips to other cities.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
England
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Great little hotel/hostel. I had my own room but this place is geared up for backpackers looking for a cheap base.Staff helpful and friendly especially "Map" who pretty much runs the place,is always messing about and is good fun.We had a couple of meals out with him "we paid" but the low cost was more than worth it for his local knowledge and good company,"Map of Cambodia" we called him. Well located near everything,my friends and I really enjoyed our stay here.Word of warning 2nd and 3rd floor rooms are a bit of a steep climb.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends