“Everything was great, But disappointed by a dishonest staff!!”

Okay Guesthouse Phnom Penh
Ranked #64 of 334 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I at first wanted to give them a higher rating. Until I remember something....

The good things of this guest house was:
1. good triple room.
2. clean bathroom with adequate water pressure
3. very friendly staff
4. providing a lot of service (laundry, acceptable meal, tuk-tuk service)
5. flexible, we originally book 2 triple room and 1 double room for 8 of us. In the end they allow us to switch to 2 double room and 1 triple bcz one of our friends did not follow the trip in the end.

The things to be improve:
1. Poor and narrow double room.
2. narrow alley to the room with sometimes no lighting at night.
3. the cafe was not spacious enough
4. DISHONESTY of one of the male staff (or probably he was the son of the owner??)

ok, the story was like that:
We booked the air-conditioning (a/c) triple room at 15usd and a/c double room at 12 usd months ago. When we reached the guesthouse, I told them I wanted to pay but I have forgotten the rate and lazy to check my mailbox. They told me that it was 20usd for an a/c tripe room and 15usd for an a/c double room. I trusted them and paid.

At night, I felt that we were somehow out of budget with the money allocated for accommodation, so i checked back the email and found out the truth ( which was they collected 9USD more per night!!!)

Thus, I told them to trace back the e-mail and the male staff told me:
Because you guys reached much earlier (which is 10:30am, in stead of 1:30pm) than expected. Our room have not yet ready, so they prepared us a better air-conded rooms, so it was more expensive.
However, they should actually offer us to wait until 1:30pm so that we did not need to spend more (total 18 USD because we stay for two nights!) Also, they did not inform us that they have upgraded our room at first until I asked them.

Actually I dont thk that there were two types of air-conded room. They were just challenging us to switch to a not-so-good airconded room if we want back the booking price on the second night. In fact, on their website, I didn't found there are two types of a/c triple room, neither do a/c double room.......

Another scenario, showing the dishonesty of the male staff:
We booked a tuk-tuk at XUSD. We wanted to go to Russian market and he said we need to pay extra 5 USD. I asked him how long we can be in Russian market, he said as long as we like, two to even three hours was not a problem. We can reach our guest house around 6 to 7 at evening.
The next day, the other staff told us that we must depart from Russian market at 4pm. I felt that I was cheated again. I argued with them. The very friendly female staff, claiming that she was the mother of the male staff, apologized to us, saying that she would pay for us if we was over-charged by the tuk-tuk. She said that it was a misunderstanding and hope we forgive her son. We did not want to create more issues and I was satisfied with the solution given by the lady. So we decided to rush through russian market and depart at 4pm.

I wanted to say that, the female staffs at the counter (gave them 4 stars =D) was very very friendly and helpful. We like them a lot. But not the dishonest guy (gave him 1 star) !! People, Okay Guest house worth a visit, but you have to check everything properly, with receipt stating ALL the details as your evidence!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank TJoo

Reviewed August 27, 2012

This place is pretty good value, and is a good place to meet other travellers in the communal area downstairs. Food is good and reasonably priced, as are the drinks. I booked a trip to the Killing Fields through Okay, and was happy with the service provided. Staff are friendly and helpful, and allow you to run up a tab and pay at the end. The rooms are clean and comfortable, but basic. Okay is in a pretty good location - only minutes from the riverfront, where many bars, restaurants, and tourist attractions are situated.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Rooms are clean and comfortable, staff friendly when they think they may make money from you, less than helpful when they understand you don't. Rooms are small and TV reception was terrible. An average place in an average location, reasonable prices. they don't allow guests without extra ID.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Paul D
Reviewed August 13, 2012

very nice guesthouse situated a little off the big boulevard in Phnom Penh. We stayed there three nights in total. The room wasn't too big, but was clean. They clean the room every day, you can have good food here for a good price.
As most guesthouse they can arrange bustrips to other cities.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Great little hotel/hostel. I had my own room but this place is geared up for backpackers looking for a cheap base.Staff helpful and friendly especially "Map" who pretty much runs the place,is always messing about and is good fun.We had a couple of meals out with him "we paid" but the low cost was more than worth it for his local knowledge and good company,"Map of Cambodia" we called him. Well located near everything,my friends and I really enjoyed our stay here.Word of warning 2nd and 3rd floor rooms are a bit of a steep climb.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We only stayed one night - in a private room - and it went without problems. The room was a bit shabby tho and the sheets seemed to have some stains (but that happened in better places, probably difficult to wash out.). Also, there was no sheet on the bed just a silk throw which we didn't really want to cover ourselves with but well, it is usually too hot anyway. Also, the caution panel about having sex with juveniles is a little scary (I think there's a photo here), makes you think that is what people come here for.

But it seems good for a few nights. It was really reasonably priced at $10 per private double with fan and en suite. The food was cheap and really good. I think I would try something new next time but as we only stayed one night so I can't really judge anyway.

Room Tip: No lift and many rooms have windows into the corridors which is a bit weird so you may want to ask o...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2012

The location of this gueshouse is central, near the royal palace and the national museum, it is also located in the heart of the backpacker guesthouse district. The rooms were bland, small, but featured the required comforts of AC, fan, TV, Hot Water; plus it was quiet. We had the room on the second floor where as I understand the rooms are larger. The in house restaurant serves good food at affordable prices, and I would definetely recommend eating there. The family that runs the joint is on the petty side, charging for any phone calls from the hotel lobby area, arguing over the weight of the laundry and trying to sell you their tours versus other company's. The old man quoted me at $15 a room on the internet, and would not budge when asked to lower the price, however, when we arrived his daughter charged us the 'standard' rate of $12 for a twin room. In fact, the daughter is what made this place for me, she was very courteous, always helpful, smiling and pleasant to deal with; i can't say the same for the other members of the family. I did manage to speak to her mostly regarding our needs and it all went swimmingly. Thus, I would recommend this guesthouse, but know, its just 'Okay', like its name implies.

Room Tip: Try to deal with the daughter as much as possible. She is a young, attractive lady in her mid to la...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends