See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 18, 2013

love the location of this hostel as is nearby to most attractive places i wanted to visit. The area is not too crowded compare to the riverfront. It just perfect for me & the room was clean and cheap. I paid for $8 for single fan room with own toilet. They also arrange the tour and tickets arrangement to other cities with free pick up from the hostel. Should try their coffee, very tasty and only a dollar!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Nick_H85
Reviewed October 7, 2013

my gf and i stayed at this place for 2 nights was recommended by lonely planet. Great place we had since we first travel in south east asia. Staffs was very friendly especially the man works at the reception were helpful. They offered bus tickets with free service to the bus station. Happy with our stayed, left with no complain. We gonna be stay here again :)

Room Tip: We had a nice room on the first floor with window and own balcony
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank William8783
Reviewed October 6, 2013

it was a best choice stay at the guest house, the location was great closes to everywhere. reasonable price and the room was clean with hot/colder shower. The room was way up on the 4th floors by stair, didn't really matter to me anyway.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank JasonHau
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Make sure you get a receipt for everything as they'll sure ask again. And ask they will when the person you paid is not in the building. Mohammed Ali called it rope-a-dope. How right he was.
Otherwise everything ok. Service and advice helpful but never friendly. Pity coz great location.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Steve W
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I first stayed at the Royal Guesthouse over 3 years ago. As with most people who arrive in a new city, I wanted somewhere safe, clean and relatively cheap. This place provided it and more as well – the family were / are very friendly and helpful, it has great wifi, the food is more than acceptable and the coffee is excellent. They will accept late bookings by email and if you know the place a request a certain room or floor, then they will try, and usually do, manage to accommodate.
I have been living and working in S E Asia for over 10 years now and nowhere is perfect, if you are looking for western standards for eastern prices then you will be disappointed. But that would be true of any hotel in Asia outside of the mega tourist destinations. This is a small guesthouse run by a family who, in my experience, are as honest as you will find. They will be courteous and civil with anyone who is the same to them, sadly there are some who are not.
I have stayed 4 times in total now, but the last time was over a year ago and so was pleasantly surprised at the redecoration that has taken place and the newly designed ground floor reception and restaurant /café area. It was good to see the family again and I will be going back the next time my journeys take me to Phnom Penh. I have no hesitation in recommending it to others.

Room Tip: My preference are the first floor rooms on the front, but it can get a little noisy as they overlook the street life below - you can't have everything! There is no lift, so if stairs are not good for you, the first floor would be a must.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business