“Dirty and smelly and noisy.”
Review of Royal Guest House

Royal Guest House
Ranked #191 of 275 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We were staying in Phnom Penh for about a week, and thought we were going to stay in Royal Guesthouse the whole stay. We ended up moving after two days (Payed for two nights on the internet). Everything looked like an ordinary old guesthouse, but we payed about 15 dollars a night, so we thought we were going to get more for that price.
The smell of mold in the room was very bad, it was not really clean and when we found out we wanted to change room, it was not possible. You can also hear everything that happens on your floor.
I would not recommend this place, and think there is a lot of guesthouses and hostels in the same area with better value for your money.
Some things were positive tho, the location of the guesthouse is good, and the food in the restaurant is pretty good.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We found this guesthouse in LP, so we thought its ok. It was not. We paid 15 USD, which is quite high in Phnom Penh for really really poor room. When we came in, the room looked ok, and stuff as well, they were really nice. We had own bathroom with hot water, A/C, fan, television, fridge.
First thing when we tried to move with fridge cause of better see the television, the biggest cockroach (what i have ever seen and i have seen a lot cockroaches during my travel) run to us say us hello. Then we started check room properly and we found out that its quite dirty, pieces of old food around bad, dust everywhere at furniture. Later, when one of us had shower, we found out that the woman when she said hot shower, she should menitoned that it goes ONLY hot, so my friend got hurt by it for first time. Second day old woman (owner probably) was at reception, and she wasnt nice at all.. when i said her about the shower, she said that it will be done during cleaning of the room..We went for breakfast and my friend had baggguete full of ants, he is really lucky in this and it was not the end. In the afternoon we came in and asked the woman if the shower is repaired, she said yes, so went to room looking for cold shower, but suddenly my friend got hurt for second time, cause after minute was hot again and cold still didnt work. And it was last thing to make us move to another guesthouse only for one more night.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We chose this one because of the lonley planet, but after the first night we switched to another guesthouse. It was dirty, the floor was not cleaned (noodles on the floor?!) neither were the sheets. We booked a citytour at the guesthouse, they told us we might not get the bus, because there are no other passangers. No problem for us, we also love to go by private tuk tuk. In the morning we asked a few times which would it be tuk tuk or bus, we got no answer. In the End they charged us 15 USD for a Tuk Tuk. It was a very nice trip, but if you rent a tuk tuk on your own you get it cheaper or at least for the same price. The biggest Minus is definitiv the dirty room and they charged us 15 USD for it.

Room Tip: choose the fancy guesthouse around the corner, it is very clean and the owner is very nice and helpf...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Noisy, kids crying in the apartment on the back of the place. Laundry at 1.50 USD a kilo. The owner is very helpful and did arrange transport to the temples the next day. Found out later the price was the same with most of the tuk tuk drivers. The was mold and mildew and the room smelled like it. I paid 14 USD and moved the next day to a different hotel. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I picked this place out of the Lonely Planet guidebook. Wow, LP seriously missed the mark on this one. I know sometimes the quality may change after a guide is published, but still.

I too have seen the giant rat as mentioned in previous reviews. It walked around the cafe and into the reception area like it owned the joint.

Before going to bed the night I checked in, I just happened to notice a small bug on the sheets. Suspecting it might be a bedbug, I searched for an image of bedbugs and confirmed my worst nightmare. It was 1am, so figuring I wouldn't be able to find a new guest house the best I could think of was to change rooms. The guy downstairs allowed me after I showed him the bug, then moved me to another floor.

...It turned out the 2nd room had bed bugs as well. I ended up moving guest houses at 2am because I just absolutely could not risk bugs hitching a ride in my clothes or bag. Bites don't become visible for at least 9 days, so I'll be paranoid for the next week or so...

The one nice thing is that the downstairs fellow took me on his motorbike to move guest houses.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We paid $15 a night per room, which was a bit expensive for Phnom Penh. The room was cleaned daily but for the entire time we were there, there was no toilet paper in the room.

The staff was very friendly and helpful with arranging tours and transport to Siem Reap. The location of the hostel is great - close to the waterfront and lots of restaurants.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the bottom floors since the trek up can be exhausting with a large bag.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jennula
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My Stay here in June was not very good, my room was fine and the cost $7 per night (no wifi in room) , but the guest house kept on changing the wifi password (had to use wifi in the passage way) , so if you needed the internet late at night, and they had changed the password yet again, you were stuck.

Also they would often ask for rent payment every few days, not at the end of your stay,

This month I stayed again, as I arrived in PP after a long taxi ride, I did not want to search for a guest house.

I arrived and asked fora room that wifi could be had in the room, they said $13 per night, I told then I would stay 2 nights, they insisted I paid up front for the 2 nights, this is not the normal way in Cambodia, I protested but they would not relent.

So anyway, all okay for my first night, wifi in room , important for my work.
However, the next night I again could not log on to the internet, guess what, they had changed the internet password again without telling anyone.

At 2 in the morning, I had to go and search the bars to find wifi.

In the morning I made my complaint, yes they had changed the password, no it was the provider, they made their excuses, but no real apology.

I checked out, I will not return here again.

They advertise they are a family business, but the atmosphere is not great, not very friendly either, and there is no organization or information passed between them.

Yes the price can be low, but the service poor.

My promise to myself, never return to the poor service of the Royal Guest House.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business