“I really wanted to like this place...”

River Home Boutique Hotel
Ranked #79 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Bangkok, Thailand
“I really wanted to like this place...”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I booked for 2 nights but due to an emergency at home had to cut my stay short. Check in was a bit strange. I presented my booking.com reservation to the three men who were at the desk at around 5 pm and they looked like they had no clue why I was there. I was traveling with 4 other people whose check in process seemed smoother than mine. Anyway, I wasn't going to make a big fuss about that since I was then escorted to a really nice room with a balcony and view of the city. They even had swan towels on the bed- nice touch. Okay, now here is where my problems began. First of all, the hotel room had no proper closet. It had some kind of dressing room with rails and a couple of hangers but that was it. Then, another issue was there was no in-room safe. All travelers know the importance of the safe to store important/valuable things in. Why the hotel didn't think to put one in the room is really beyond me.
That evening, we were trying to book bus tickets to Ho Chi Minh City but the man at reception (again) seemed clueless. He finally got around to getting a ticket for me but when I asked him for the bus schedule and pick up time, he said something like, "Wait for the ticket to come and it will say there what time the shuttle will pick you up and what time the bus will leave." Uh...ok. I pointedly asked to get the earliest bus out of Phnom Penh (7 am) but after much discussion I think he sort of said he could only get me a trip out at 8:30 am but that he still wasn't sure and that I should wait for the ticket to arrive. I am a single traveler so I could live with that but I can imagine this to be a big pain the neck for families traveling with small children.
The next morning, I went down for breakfast at 615 am only to find the dining room empty with some staff hanging out at the tables. That was okay, maybe I was too early (although they did say breakfast was from 6 to 10 am) but what really got to me was the tiny, tiny portions of bacon and sausage (one each to be exact, and they both looked shriveled up) that came with my "American breakfast." My brother ordered the "Healthy breakfast" which should have included granola with yogurt but when my brother asked for the yogurt the waiter said they "don't have anymore."
So, there you go. A brand new hotel with decent enough rooms but severely lacking in service and finesse. Not expecting the Ritz here given the price but they should seriously look into these issues if they want more people to come and stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank travellingmama1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Hebrew first
#56 of 267 in Phnom Penh
Eureka Villas Phnom Penh
Eureka Villas Phnom Penh
#46 of 267 in Phnom Penh

Been to River Home Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about River Home Boutique Hotel

Property: River Home Boutique Hotel
Address: 463 corner of Sisovath road, street 258, Sangkat Chaktomuk, Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia (Formerly River Home Hotel)
Location: Cambodia > Phnom Penh
Ranked #79 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Hotel Class:4 star — River Home Boutique Hotel 4*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings and HotelQuickly so you can book your River Home Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.