“Great and fun experience!”
Review of Backstreet Academy

Backstreet Academy
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Explore Khmer culture through our exclusive collection of travel experiences - learn Cambodian martial arts, cook insects or spend an evening with a local fisherman on the Mekong, the backstreets offer the richest interaction with the culture and people of a place. Immerse yourself in the de facto Khmer experience where the local backdrop retains its integrity and originality and discover a side of the city you never knew, available only through the forgotten backstreets. Backstreet Academy works with many competent yet struggling craftsmen with whom we structure a course together to teach the world about their traditional craft. Be it at their home or their workshops, we offer our guests access to a 'behind the scenes' experience that is often overlooked. This is the real local, the real Khmer, the real experience. And as you discover the backstreets, we will pair you with a facilitator who will help you translate and make sure you have a great time while making an impact.
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We took up the Pottery class with Pottery instructor Ravin on the last day of our stay in Phnom Penh and it was an amazing experience! With the help of the translator, Ravin taught us how to mould clay with our fingers and also using tools such as a sponge and a wooden stick! He is so humble yet so talented!

The pottery class was held at our resort and due to space constraints, we had to have the class beside the swimming pool with not much shade from the sun. We felt soooo apologetic but our instructor Ravin just smiled and shrugged it off. Which made us feel even more guilty!

I went home with a small teacup and a saucer which I made myself, and this make the best souvenirs I can get from Phnom Penh! Will definitely recommend this activity to everyone!

akashgurung, Owner at Backstreet Academy, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2014

Hi Chrys, it was such a pleasure hosting you and your friends at your resort. :)

And we're happy to hear that the pottery cup and saucer that you made was the best thing you took back home from Phnom Penh as a souvenir. Thats the alternative experience we want all visitors to experience. Rather than buying a souvenir, why not make one with your own hands. You not only take something tangible back home, but also a new skill! :)

We would love to welcome you back to the backstreets.

Thank you!

in 4 reviews
"support"
"education"

Reviewed May 17, 2014

A big thank you to Backstreet Academy for organising such meaningful and interesting classes that are thoroughly enjoyed!

We feel so bad to keep re-scheduling our classes due to delays however our point of contact was very understanding.

The instructors and masters are all super qualified to be teaching tourists like us! They are the best in their fields and I have the great honour to learn boxing from The Grandmaster himself! He is Grandmaster because his students from France and many other countries have won many world championships and are already masters themselves. He takes great pride showing us his students in world championships and his training abode is filled with trophies and champion belts.

However they are very down-to earth characters and teach us everything from the basics and shows genuine care for us to learn everything well. Its not just a hands-on session but a skill which will be remembered and useful.

As a single female traveller, the boxing lessons are clearly useful and he encourage me to practise often and not to forget.

The pottery class really is a eye-opener as I could not have developed such patience, handiwork and creativity without the instructor!

Special thanks to the individual translators as well who usually end up as teacher-assistants although it is not their job.

Much appreciated.

Will definitely recommend Backstreet Academy to everyone who respect local arts and cultures!

Thank you for the review Doris. :)

We're glad that as a single female traveller, you found the boxing lesson useful. While it has a very intimate setting with the local neighborhood and the locals residing there, and of course our grandmaster himself, it is also practical.

And we were more than happy to arrange the pottery lesson for you and your friends despite the many changes in schedule, that was no problem for us.

We hope to welcome you again! :)

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I joined the pottery making class with my friend and it was an amazing experience!
The workshop is located at the backstreet of night market among some old walk up buildings.
You normally won't get to these places as a tourist.
We get into one of the old building and when we reached to the rooftop we were stunned by the amazing view and setting! The rooftop was very open and clean with lovely plants! Tables and mat were well set. Such an comfy and artistic setting for a pottery class!
And we were greet with icy drinks under hot weather! How wonderful!

So we spent 3 hours at this spacious and lovely rooftop to make a vase.
Our teacher was a university student studying art. Very talented and patient!
Taught us the basic knowledge of pottery making and introduce us some Khmer art work pattern for carving.
Very cheerful teacher even our art work was awful :P
He even made us leaf-shaped dishes as souvenir to bring home!!!

Our translators are all very kind and attentive. They helped us to take lots of pictures over the class! And we really enjoy chatting with them as they told us many stories and how the real life is as an Cambodian.
The backstreet academy doesn't only provide entertainment to tourists. They've been working for their community as well. One of the teachers they hired is a disabled with great talent in carving. They are also organizing tour to explore social issues among the city.
We felt like we've gained insight of the city after this experience.

This is a must-do in phnom penh.
The classes just spend you around 3 hours. So squeeze some time and join one of their classes! You'll find completely different experience apart from usual sightseeing!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
akashgurung, Owner at Backstreet Academy, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Hi Carrie, we loved that you joined our pottery workshop right before your onward flight to Thailand. And we're thrilled that we managed to make it worthwhile! :)

And we're pleased that our instructors and facilitators also managed to keep the experience warm and friendly. They take these courses with equal delight and enthusiasm to meet guests such as yourself from all over the world.

Thank you for the review and good luck with your travels through SEA. :)

Reviewed May 7, 2014

My friend and I spent a very interesting morning learning kickboxing with a former Cambodian kick boxing champion.

What made this a stand out experience for me was the fact that we got to do this at his house, in his own garden. We got to meet his family and look at his photographs of his lory days and the boxers he had trained. We also got to see his boxing belts. He certainly put us through our paces but was constantly full of concern for our safety, despite this he demonstrated a number of self defence moves which were very impressive and each one had me falling on to the foam flooring. It was very impressive!

We were collected promptly and professional by our tour guide who was made us laugh through out our lesson as he translated and even joined in with our kicking and punching moves!

In the afternoon, I then got to have a go at Aspara dancing, wearing traditional dress. I loved this course and my teacher spoke very good English and was so patient and helpful as I struggled to bend my hands into all kinds of positions. Again I loved the fact that it was held on a small local stage outside and I could watch the men making shadow puppets as I learnt my dance!!

It may not be what you expect it to be, but if you're looking for an authentic and unforgettable experience of Cambodian life and culture in Phnom Penh then I would highly recommend giving it a go!!
Thank you Backstreet Academy for a great day!

You're welcome Rachel! And thank you! Reading your review just made our day!

We're so glad you had a fun day with Backstreet Academy! Super impressed that you managed to do two completely different art forms in a single day. Bravo!

Being in a position to allow travelers to experience what you experienced is an opportunity we truly cherish and something we strive for every day and to hear that our guests had a good time is immensely encouraging!

Thanks again and safe travels!