“A Great Hotel”

Ranked #133 of 265 Hotels in Phnom Penh
New Zealand
“A Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2009

Im suprised at some comments , i visited the paragon in May this year and found the staff very friendly and helpful , they took us up to see if we liked the room , provided milk and tea for us , the room was clean and tidy and had a door window, although this was locked , but then thats standard all over Cambodia.

They even talked us out of taking a more expensive room at $28.00 and gave us a room at $20.00 which i thought was really good service cause they could have easily never said anything .

The hotel is on the waterfront , very handy to an excellent restaurant right next door which has excellent service and good european meals at very reasonable prices , make lovely english pot of mint tea , my favourite.

All in all really good hotel , one things for sure you couldnt get a hotel like this for $20.00 us dollars in New Zealand anywhere , would probably cost $80 to $100 us dollars , but then hey you cant please everybody can you , Tony New Zealand (-----------)

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank TonyNewZealand

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2009

We stayed at Paragon Hotel for a few days in February. It was generally ok, the location was good and the price was right, but there were some major issues while we were there and I think you can find better options nearby.
If you want one, make sure you ask for a room with a window, as most of the rooms don't have one. There are rooms with private balcony, but it's extra, and we thought that the common/shared balcony over the river was sufficient. That balcony is nice, but otherwise the hotel is nothing special. We paid $23 USD for a window room.

The first problem we had was with reservations. I emailed with Paragon about 3 times and believed I had a confirmed reservation. I emailed again the day before to super-confirm, and didn't get any response. So I called. They had absolutely no record of my reservation and had no idea who I was. I was livid. The still had rooms available so made a new reservation for us. I was not happy and wanted to stay at another hotel, but the other places we had been considering were all booked up by this time. (This is also why we never moved while in Phnom Penh - the places we wanted to move to were full.)

Once we arrived, check in was quick, although not the usual friendly standard we were used to in Laos and Cambodia. Room was okay, but not great. We soon discovered there was no water! We mentioned this to front desk and they said that it would be on in about half an hour, but moved us to another room. No water in that room either, but we didn't want to move back. We waited and waited and waited for water, but never got any until AFTER 9pm. We had been on a very long bus ride so the inability to shower did not impress. I was particularly annoyed because the hotel clearly knew they had no water when we checked in, but didn't say anything.

Worst was that at one point when I asked how long it would be until we had water, the guy at the front desk YELLED at me! This is extremely rude and bad behaviour in SEA and I was very taken aback.

Finally, the hotel advertises that they have wifi, but does not indicate that you have to pay for it. This surprised me as well, because most hotels in this price range that we stayed at provided wifi free if they had it.

I would not stay here again unless the better options were exhausted, which is possible, as Phnom Penh seems to have a shortage of good budget accommodation. Check out other hotels rated higher on TripAdvisor.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amazon_blonde
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2009

Stayed here for a few nights on arriving in Cambodia. I had a room at the front, with a balcony. in front of the hotel is a busy city road that runs along the river. It is therefore quite noisy at times. However, its interesting to sit on the balcony and watch the street life! Expect a pleasant but basic 2 star hotel. I found it basic, safe, clean and comfortable. There was hot water available at all times.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank SazzyBUk
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2009

Moved here from the golden mekong hotel as it was much better location and much cleaner. Although my room didnt have a balcony there was one just outside the room. Staff were helpful and even kept the room for me without taking a deposit.

Definitely recommended for a good value stay in PP right in the middle of all the restaurants and easy walking to the sights of PP.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank phiphi
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2009

Good value for the money. Stayed in a room with riverview, AC and balcony (shared) for 33$. The room was nice and clean. Friendly staff. You stay at this place because of its great location right by the river. I stayed at the second floor and it was a little bit noisy because of the traffíc outside but if you stay at the upper floors it´s no problem.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Stig-Helmer
deutschland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2009

I reserved a double room with private balcony, but arriving they gave me twin room. I had to pay in advance(33 $), before I even saw the room. I went up to the fifth floor, and was disgusted at the dump hole of a room. The floor (red tiles) was covered with more than a 100 dark stains (just get some cillit bang,please!). I put down my handbag, and it was covered in dust afterwards.
The ashtray was used, dust everywhere, and the bathroom !
I found pubic hair from former guests (apparently they used a pink soap), chalk stains, dangling tower rail (is it so difficult to grap a screwdriver and fix it?)
After 2 days of travelling I was too tired, to go down again trying to get my money back, so I stayed for the night. There was a balcony in front of my window, but the entrance was in the corridor and it was locked. I tried to sleep, but the mattress was extremely hard.
The next morning I had a shower, but when I got out of the bathroom, some people were on the balcony staring at my nakedness. Totally embarrassed I drew the curtains, packed my stuff, and left.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank chrmue

Travelers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

Darwin, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2009

I stayed there for 4 nights in October 2009. Staff were friendly and helpful. Location was ideal. Lovely cafe/restaurant next door with good meals at fair price. Opposite that place on the other corner was a neat bar that was a great social place for a drink. The Tuk Tuk drivers on the corner outside the Paragon pay a fee to the local businesses to set up there. As a result, they are honest and trustworthy and meet the approval of the surrounding hotels.
The rooms are not huge, but apart from that, I had no complaints.

You pay extra for a balcony with a river view, but you can just as easily walk down the hall to the public balcony and get the same view while staying in a cheaper room.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo