“Clean, tidy, comfortable and reasonable price”
Review of Paragon Hotel

Paragon Hotel
Ranked #216 of 281 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed March 5, 2009

I stayed there for 4 nights in October 2009. Staff were friendly and helpful. Location was ideal. Lovely cafe/restaurant next door with good meals at fair price. Opposite that place on the other corner was a neat bar that was a great social place for a drink. The Tuk Tuk drivers on the corner outside the Paragon pay a fee to the local businesses to set up there. As a result, they are honest and trustworthy and meet the approval of the surrounding hotels.
The rooms are not huge, but apart from that, I had no complaints.

You pay extra for a balcony with a river view, but you can just as easily walk down the hall to the public balcony and get the same view while staying in a cheaper room.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank DarwinAustralia

Reviewed February 19, 2009

Just wanted to warn people to be careful when making reservations/negotiating the price with the receptionist...

We booked a doubleroom with seaview the evening before arriving in Feb 2009, then when we arrived we were told by the young male receptionist with glasses that unfortunately there was no doubleroom with seaview available, but that we would get a city view at slightly cheaper price. We were guided to our room and there was no window at all. We went down to ask the receptionist why there was no window and the same receptionist now said that all rooms with windows were taken and they could only offer us a room without a window at a slightly lower price of $20 per night.

What amazed me was that on the counter when we initially checked in, literally 3 minutes earlier, there was a price list stating the price of doublerooms without window at $18, and that this pricelist had now been removed and despite having disappointed/lied to us twice already, they even hiked the price of the windowless room above the standard rate... We walked out of the hotel, as did another couple that actually left the hotel as we entered it because of the same booking issue...

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jarfalla
Reviewed February 8, 2009

I've tried to make a reservation at the Paragon for later this month. I know that I am not arriving until after 11pm and I asked the hotel to guarantee me a room. Not only could they not assure me that they have the room that I asked for, they assured me that they cannot keep the room beyond 5pm even though I ALREADY said that I knew I wouldn't be arriving until well into the evening. Despite the emails, they encouraged me to "stop by" and see if there were rooms available, but I'm sorry, if I'm already arriving at midnight I don't want to be wondering where I'm going to find a bed for the evening. If you want to assure yourself that your reservation is for real, GO ELSEWHERE. It's clear that this hotel isn't going to keep whatever room you may have requested after 5pm despite what you may have communicated to the hotel!!!!

• Stayed: February 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ahemexcuseme
Reviewed January 20, 2009

Excellent value if you get one of the spotless rooms with a balcony that faces the river: watching the sun rise and the city coming alive right from your room is an awesome Phnom Penh experience. We loved it.
In an ideal location, the Paragon is bang in the middle of a number of river-front cafes and restaurants. The old market is a couple of blocks away, as is the Palace. There are always plenty of tuktuks hanging around the hotel to take you places, but ask the friendly front-desk staff and they can even arrange one for an all-day tour around the city.

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank BaggageClaim
Reviewed January 19, 2009

We arrived in Phnom Penh on a late night flight from Seoul and had not booked at the Paragon for our arrival. After 2 nights at another hotel, which we also liked, we decided to move to the Riverside for the convenient location. We walked into the Paragon, checked out a room with window away from the river and put down a $10 deposit. We stayed 5 days and would have stayed 15 more had we the luxury of more time in the capital. The room was great, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was clean and the hot water was hot enough for December*s ever so slight chill. The staff was very friendly and helful in all ways. When we left, they helped arrange our riverboat trip up the Tonle Sap and a tuk-tuk to meet us in Siem Reap. For an inexpensive hotel, excellent service. I would recommend it to anyone who is not looking for a ritzy abode in Phnom Penh.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank pacific_gator
Reviewed January 17, 2009

Like most people I also booked this based on the recommendation of lonely planet for cost and location ($27). I had seen the room before i paid, so I knew what I was getting.

Room is small, toilet and shower is in the one room with no seperation between the two. Aircon and TV worked fine.

Beds are firm and consist of one sheet covering the mattress and a thin dooner over the bed. Although the sheet was clean I was not too sure the dooner is cleaned between guests. Towels were also a little damp (they were probably air dried) and the bottom of the stairs smelt of sewage.

I was willing to overlook these issues due to the cost and location.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank OzTraveller88
Reviewed January 17, 2009

We walked into Paragon after reading its review in Lonely Planet, as our other hotel didn't have a second night available. I wouldn't recommend staying at the Paragon for more than a couple of nights- the noise kept me up on and off all night. Street noise, music, loud cars and motorcycles were blaring through the small window on the 3rd floor. Otherwise, the bed was comfortable, the hotel was centrally located, the shower had hot water and they even provided amenities such as soap, shampoo, toothbrushes, water, and toothpaste. Also, it was very clean and reasonably priced. Bring earplugs!

• Stayed: January 2009