“The location says it all...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Paragon Hotel

Paragon Hotel
Ranked #132 of 274 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Brisbane, Australia
“The location says it all...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2009

I had arranged other accommodation in Phnom Penh for the period I intended being there, but changed my itinerary at the last moment forcing me to look for an alternative hotel (my preferred hotel being booked out for the revised dates). Having no access to TA, I relied on Lonely Planet which rated The Paragon their best choice. I phoned from Siem Reap and was impressed with the staff member's efficiency and good grasp of English. I booked a river view room for US$33 per night. The room turned out to be quite spacious, with comfortable beds and functioning TV, air-con and fridge. The room was spotlessly clean and there was access to the outside balcony - which was practically our own as no-one seemed to use it. The view of the river and bustling street below was excellent! I was especially delighted with the location of this hotel which was in the heart of Sisowath Quay, surrounded by restaurants and bars. It was very exciting! There were a few minor issues with the bathroom design, like water dripping onto the floor when showering etc, but for $33 who cares?! I would certainly stay here again. Who might not like it? Any one who is a really light sleeper as there is some street noise. There is no room service or restaurant on premises (but these are all available a few steps away from the front door) so bear that in mind if it's important to you. The cheaper rooms seemed identical to what we had except they had no windows at all - so take that into consideration too. Overall, I was very happy here!

• Liked — Location, location, location and its cleanliness!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chaucer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Marina del Rey, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2009

The Paragon is right on the Riverfront so the location is excellent. There are restaurants/bars right on the same street and getting a tuk-tuk is super easy b/c the drivers pretty much hang out right out front of the hotel. The hotel also sells beer, water and juice in the lobby. There are rooms with private balconies, but I used the one open to all guests on my floor and I was always the only one out there so it was like having my own private one w/o paying for the upgraded room. The bathroom in the the double room (the one I had) was one of those "shower room" types where the entire bathroom becomes the shower (there's no stall or curtain). The bathroom had no ventilation and there was a hole in the ceiling - possibly an attempt at putting one in - and there were wires hanging from the ceiling. The a/c was a little weak, but I was grateful to have one at all. The staff is wonderful as they speak decent enough English, can help with tours and can also help with getting visas. However I paid $35 for a 15 day visa to Vietnam. I think that's too much. Overall the location and staff make this a hotel I would stay at again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the noise from the street waking me up at 7 a.m.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank blackmistressdiva
roma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2008

Stayed for a couple of nights before getting a bus to Siam Reap (I didnt book thru the hotel), room was fine and better than some for the same money thoughout SE asia. Bathroom is the usual style in budget accom in asia, ie where the whole room is a shower with a toilet in it.

Major benefit to this hotel is location for the price, walk to everywhere on sisowath quay, cafe next door does excellent brekkies as well.

If you want some peace and quiet , ask for a middle room without a window.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — trying to be sold bus tickets several times
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank spectator_spectacle
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2008

This is long overdue!

I would like to mention the fantastic stay I had at the Paragon Hotel in Phnom Penh!

The staff went out of their way to ensure my stay was good; they advised me of correct taxi prices, safe places to go and good restaurants to try.

The room was beautiful! Spacious, clean with everything I need.

The view from the balcony was spectacular! So much, that I used to wake at dawn to see the sun rise, as I sipped coffee and took photographs! (I work as a photographer)

At $35.00 per night it was simply great value. I look forward to visiting again soon!

Joe

• Liked — Very helpful staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank Joe_From_Ireland
Annemasse, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed 2 nights in this hotel

Room:
Clean, hot water, new A/C, large (approx 30m²), silent (we ask for a room with no window)

Staff:
Nice and professional. The 2 times we booked a room, they kept one for us

Service:
Bus, Taxi and Tuk-Tuk reservation.
One thing they can improve: there is no WIFI or computer we can use to check internet: thankfully there is 2 internet cafe at 50m
There is an elevator

Location:
Good place: in front of the river, lots of good bar and restaurant around

Conclusion: I do recommend this hotel

• Liked — Location, the silent room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Damslapougne
Hong Kong
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2008

We booked weeks before travelling because we have an infant and didn't want to be wandering around trying to find a room. When we arrived at the Paragon, the front desk staff said they didn't have our room, they'd given it to someone else. This is inspite of 3 phone calls and 2 emails beforehand checking that our booking was OK. They offered us another room, not what we wanted, more expensive, dusty and full of mosquitoes. We went somewhere else.

When we returned to Phnom Penh we tried Paragon again (one of the few hotels with double beds) and got the room we wanted. But after a few nights (we stayed 12 days) we were asked to move to another room (not with a double bed and more expensive) because they wanted the double bed for other guests! We refused. The front desk staff were not helpful in the slightest. The cleaner was nice but cleaning was superficial only, lots of dust and insects in the room. The owner keeps his dogs in the hotel lobby and the front doors closed. The lobby stinks like dog pee so you have to hold your breath as you rush to the elevator.

I wouldn't bother with this hotel again.

• Liked — Location. That's about it. Nothing else.
  • Disliked — The staff.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Theanath

Travelers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2008

We were staying at L'imprevu resort and it was too far out so we walked around sisowath quay for a place to stay and ended up here for a night. Its a good deal with friendly staff and we only left because we were leaving phnom penh. My only complain is the very strong scent of the room. It was like too much toilet freshener type of smell. Rather overpowering. The hotel is rather generic and the lobby isn't very enticing. But for someone looking for a budget place to stay, it offers value for money.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — overly scented room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple