“Amazing staff and restaurant”
Review of Anise Hotel

Anise Hotel
Ranked #25 of 269 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Heidelberg
“Amazing staff and restaurant”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Good location near lots of restaurants and bars. Amazing staff that were really helpful and cheerful. Great restaurant with reasonable prices and excellent service. Good breakfast included in room rate.

Not a single complaint, except we never like when the shower head is over the toilet and not a proper shower. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Thai first
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the anise hotel for 4 nights. The staff were all very friendly and attentive, our room was lovely with a huge bed, ensuite bathroom and balcony area. Breakfast is included and was very nice and there is free wifi.

On early arrival we were welcomed given a free drink and checked in, and were taken to our room straight away. We were in a room on the third floor and there is no lift but that's a minor point.

I'd agree with other reviewers that the hotel is in a nice location and getting around Phnom Penh is easy with an abundance of tuktuk drivers available.

The reception and outside eating area are very nice and we liked that the hotel have placed plants and trees around this area to give some privacy. Despite being on a busy street this gives the feel of being more protected and private which we welcomed when we wanted to relax and enjoy breakfast or an early evening drink.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Pete F
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed October 30, 2013

What a great place to stay in. I chose this hotel because I received numerous recommendations for it, and I am not sorry I did it. During my stay I had a small studio, with a king size bed, desk, sitting area, TV, AC, small kitchen, a modern bathroom and a large balcony with views over Phnom Penh (terrific). The staff was always very friendly and helpful, the service and the food in the restaurant properly. Very nice is also the leafy restaurant terrace where you can have breakfast in peace or take an evening cocktail. The decor throughout is very tasteful, understated and not overloaded. In the house there is a Laundry service, where each guest can wash for free 5 pieces per day. Furthermore, you can get a relaxing massage on OM Khmer massage at the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SophieGrA8
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 24, 2013

When we arrived we were upgraded to a superior room. This gave us an odd shaped sitting room which lead out onto a small balcony. The balcony was on the corner so it great for seeing what was going on in the streets below but not big enough to sit on. Our room was clean and a decent size and the bathroom was fine. The location is good and it was just $2 for a tuk tuk to the markets. The staff were very friendly and spoke good English. We loved the verandahs - a great place to sit and watch the world go by while having a few drinks or a meal. Breakfast was good, but unlike the other hotels we stayed in on this trip, it was not a buffet. Half price drinks during the three hour 'happy hour' and five items of clothing laundered for free each day is a bonus. Would happily recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Viv D
Lima, Peru
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Nice and simple hotel with very nice staff friendly and helpful so it was like staying with family. I had a very long stay there due to business and it was comforting, going back to a place where I felt like home.
The rooms were spacious, cozy nicely decorated, but still simple and clean. they have a nice restaurant with a nicely combined menu of local and international food.
The breakfast however is not buffet but a choice of 7 set menus, which should probably change from time to time.
Location is great you have many restaurants, spas and stores and you are close to visit some tourist attractions without being in the middle of the crowded areas.
The hotel doesn't have a spa or a massage salon, but recommends a good one nearby that can also give you service in your room (I personally prefer to go to the actual place, I tried many and this was worth returning to)
They offer free laundry on a daily basis which is a great advantage, a service that I used a lot and always got my clothes the same day (even when they say is a next day service - good!)
They also have tickets for some shows and other attractions that I found out by chance, so if you need to go to national museum, ask them.
They can also recommend you reliable taxis or Tuk- Tuks.
In general is a good choice to stay in Phnom Penh!

Room Tip: THE 4th floor has a wonderful view if you can do the stairs on a daily basis is worth trying
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank OceanLook
Lativa Riga
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This place is simple and clean, although a bit cluttered with the unecessary plants in unecessary places. Anyway, I like their clean white bathroom and their fresh scented sheets. Their dining room could use a little more space, as I'm not sure if I overheard stories from the other guests, and so they probably would have eavesdropped on mine. It really feels awkward when that happens. On our second night, much to our dismay, we had to dine out around the city. The good thing is, the hotel is located near restaurants so it wasn't difficult to find a decent one, one with a privacy and all. Overall, the staff was great and the service was good and so is the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 1, 2013

On arrival at Anise Hotel I was advised my room had been changed to their ‘annexe’ building across the street which I suspect was partly because I was travelling solo (another story). I was directed to the annexe, and the room was on the top floor at the end of the longest set of stairs I’ve ever seen.

The staff ‘sold’ this late change of room to me on the basis it had a kitchenette that I didn’t need or want anyway, but the room itself was quite large and comfortable, with a nice bathroom (no bath-no problem), good hot water and a safe for valuables. Wrap around windows gave very good light during the day and heavy curtains kept the room dark at night.

The complimentary breakfast was quite good, especially the muesli and the restaurant itself enclosed by greenery was very pleasant. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful and the hotel itself is quite well away from Phnom Penhs’ main tourist area so it’s either a tuk-tuk ride or a long walk to the more popular markets and bar/restaurant area on the waterfront. There are quite a few restaurants within a short walk of Anise however if you do want to stay local.

The main drama I had with being in the ‘annexe’ was I had to cross the road every time I wanted to go to the restaurant, use the internet or speak to reception and each time I did cross the road I both got rained on and had to run the gauntlet of tuk-tuk drivers and people selling things.

The free laundry and coffee making facilities were very good, overall quite good value and there’s a small convenience store opposite the main hotel.

Room Tip: Top floor in the 'annexe' is very quiet, and if you don't mind climbing stairs or crossi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo