My partner and I were delighted with our room at the Pavilion. We booked the Garden Cottage (which was the cheapest room) and were sceptical about what we would find but were pleasantly surprised! The room was small but well presented. It had a large comfortable bed and there was attention to detail. The shower was also very good! The pool area was lovely with daybeds littered around the gardens – perfect for lounging!
Our only complaint is the unfriendly attitude of the staff. They are quite abrupt and at times miserable. The woman serving us breakfast on the first morning was the worst of the bunch – she didn’t bother explaining to us what you got for breakfast and didn’t want to give us black tea. In retribution for asking for black tea she didn’t even give us our fruit at the end of the meal! We later discovered that the manager/owner was away at the time but the day before his return the staff’s attitude changed for the better.
One other small negative is that the pool area is invaded by locals over the weekend who come to use the free WIFI and pool. They pay small fee and can stay the whole day – if they order food from the bar the fee is wavered. It can get very crowded and there is no where for hotel guests to sit and enjoy the pool.
All in all though, the Garden Cottage is excellent value and this is definitely a hotel worth seeking out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It all started when we fell in love with a hidden gem of French-Khmer architecture from the 1920s near Wat Botum, one of the most venerable and original pagodas in Phnom Penh. Renovation and remodeling were led with due respect for the character of a building which had been, as we learnt it later on, a private retreat for Queen Consort Sisowath Kossamak, the late King Sihanouk's mother. Opened on August, 18, 2006 with 10 rooms, The Pavilion has slowly expanded over the years, offering now 36 accommodations throughout three more period buildings that have been added to the property: "The New House", former residence of the chief veterinarian at the Royal Palace; "The New Villa", formerly the private residence of a Cambodian senator, and "The Sun-Pool Villa", our latest addition which used to be lodgings for diplomats based in Phnom Penh. Each one has its own style and atmosphere, with distinctive architectural features such as an elaborate wooden stairway, intricate iron wrought railings, etc… ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Pavilion reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Pavilion Hotel Phnom Penh
- Pavilion Hotel Phnom Penh
- Pavilion Phnom Penh