“Its as good as they say it is...maybe even a bit better!”
Review of The Pavilion

The Pavilion
Ranked #10 of 270 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Dushanbe, Tajikistan
“Its as good as they say it is...maybe even a bit better!”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We came to Cambodia for a holiday and stayed at The Pavilion based on recommendations from some friends who also stayed there. The location is right next to the Royal Palace. Main building is old house that that was once used by the royal family years ago. Every room is different with lots of old furniture and antiques. There is lots of history here. The staff were just wonderful - always very helpful. They have a no children policy so it is nice place to just relax and not be disturbed.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms overlooking the pool were once the rooms of the royal family.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gulya R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Pavilion for two nights and wished we could have stayed longer. The service was lovely, with friendly, well-spoken staff. We were assisted in securing a private car to Siem Reap. The washing service is prompt.
The pool is an Oasis and breakfast is beautiful, plentiful. The decor of the hotel is quaint, elegant and comfortable. It reminded me of a day spa.
We had a private pool room, which was secluded and cute.
Bathrooms are quite well appointed, and some of the floor tiles and architecture are from the original building. This means that they are a bit worn, but they add to the character of the hotel. We will be back.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Meghanne E
Morpeth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2014

This was our second visit to Phnom Penh in 12 months and tried to book the Pavillion's sister hotel The Kabiki where we stayed on our previous visit, unfortunately this was unavailable for our dates. so we tried the Pavillion, in the same chain and just around the corner. We had seen the outside wall of the Pavillion previously and were intrigued to see what lay beyond the door with the big knocker, we were not disappointed, a beautiful secluded tropical garden with a pool and an elegant old villa. Our first choice of superior room had not been available so as it was only a 2 night stay we opted for their standard room which was spacious, pleasant, nicely furnished with its own private gated terrace.
The Pavillion is located in a nice area of PP just around the corner from the Kabiki which is on the street with the Prime Minister's residence so lots of security and a feeling of safety.
Breakfast at the Pavillion was a slight disappointment, a fixed platter of fruit, walnut bread and pastries with the usual choice of cooked eggs. No bread was served with the eggs, either fresh or toasted. I sampled two varieties of eggs, the first were poached and were too be blunt, nasty! I am fully aware that vinegar is added to egg poaching water, this was very evident in the taste of the eggs which was not a problem, however the addition of sugar to the water left the eggs with a very sweet taste. the second day I had my eggs scrambled, again without any sign of toast and I have come to the conclusion Cambodians are not good egg cooks, the scrambled eggs were not soft and yielding as they should be but quite tough almost like an overcooked shredded omelette. However I should not be complaining about this, I am on holiday in foreign country and should be eating local fare which no doubt would be excellent, instead I am in a beautiful little hotel obviously catering to international clients eating western food, shame on me. ( the sweet poached eggs were not a one off we also stayed at another hotel in the chain The Blue Limes and we had an almost identical spread complete with sweet poached eggs)
Don't get me wrong I would return to the Pavillion it was lovely and had some interesting furniture, artwork and decor in its public areas.

Room Tip: we stayed in a standard room, I would like to return to sample a better grade of room, however stand...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BrianJ0
thepavilion, Owner at The Pavilion, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear Guest, I am very sorry you did not like the cooking of our eggs. Bread is indeed served separately, sliced toasted, baguette and walnut as you mentioned, in a basket, but not in the egg plate. As for sweetening the cooking water, I was not aware of this. It is indeed a bit strange. Breakfast team told me they did not use vinegar nor sugar to boil eggs. I do not know what happened but I am very sorry about it. Anyways it enabled us to hold a meeting go through once more on all these aspects. Cheers, Alexis
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at The Pavilion from 13th Jan to 17th Jan 2014. The minute I stepped in the lobby and front desk area, I was greeted with smile and such warmness from Kongkea, Nary, Srey Sros. They were all helpful.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Norin M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2014

The Pavilion and their sister properties offered the best pre-booking customer service I have ever received. I have never left a review on TA before, but felt compelled to do so now.

Sadly, there were no rooms available at The Pavilion and their sister property Blue Lime, but within minutes, they had contacted all their other properties who emailed me their available rooms/rates for the dates we needed in an incredibly fast, professional and friendly manner.

For years I had just accepted poor British customer service - the way our bookings and queries were handled in Cambodia, I felt like a VIP guest even before I had arrived. We have ended up with a booking at The Kabiki and I am really looking forward to visiting,.

Another important draw for us was the hotel group's commitment to sustainability, energy, cultural and heritage conservation. The group have a high degree of social responsibility and are firmly against sex tourism. There needs to be more organisations like this worldwide.

I would recommend booking at any of their properties in Phnom Penh that include The Pavilion, The Kabiki, The 240, The Plantation, TeaHouse and elsewhere rooms amongst others.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EVDLDN
Westport, Connecticut
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

Sorry about the previous reviews that were complaining about bad breakfast ,cat fights etc... We really enjoyed our breakfast and the servers were very nice and helpful. We did hear some noise in the early morning but this was the Prime Ministers guards preparing for a important visit and was not too loud.Stayed in the Pavilion triple room for 2 nights. Beautiful old hotel in a quiet part of the city. Great little restaurant with good drinks and a good breakfast. Clean rooms shower needs a little adjustment as it gets very hot or very cold quickly. Spa massage was nice as well. Comfortable beds,no blankets just a sheet no hair dryer either. This is a little oasis in a busy city. Highly recommend this little piece of heaven.

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Jacquie39
thepavilion, Owner at The Pavilion, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Guest, Many thanks for your kind review and support! Just wanted to mention that all rooms have hair-dryers and blankets (being changed to duvets) and those are placed on the shelves. Cheers, Alexis
Bragg Creek, Canada
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel based on the high ratings on Tripadvisor. Booking through the hotel's website was easy with prompt replies. When we arrived at the entrance to the hotel, we were somewhat surprised as you can not see the hotel from the street as it is hidden behind a high fence with a wooden door. However, as soon as you go through the entrance into the tropical courtyard and pool with the pathway leading to the reception area, you realize that this is a special place. The staff are so helpful and friendly. While checking in you are given a cold refreshing drink and a snack. We had a private pool room which was very comfortable. Breakfast was excellent with many choices available. Tuk tuks are available just outside the entrance of the hotel and the hotel has posted suggested prices inside the gate for various locations when going by tuk tuk. Take advantage of the free massage by booking directly with the reception area - not the spa itself. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Pavilion and highly recommend staying here.

Stayed November 2013