“CRAP - it's a hovel - another GECKOS special”
Review of Mito Hotel

Mito Hotel
Ranked #61 of 270 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Brisbane, Australia
“CRAP - it's a hovel - another GECKOS special”
Reviewed January 14, 2011

Checked in after a long trip down from Siem Rep and checked out after 15 mins. The first room had a turd floatng in the toilet, the wall in the bathroom, had bugs crawling out, tehre was no window. They then gave us another room that was just as bad. Thank god for a mate who worked at the Inter Con.

On wotif you can get a room for $40 a night and Gecko's have a contract so they would be getting it for about $20 a night. It reminded me of a motel that you pay by the housr. The staff are rude, they packed 16 bags onto one trolleya nd when we tried to take ours from the top they woulnd't let us, as the room boy wanted his tip.

Met others who did the Gecko trip and checked out also. WOUL DNOT RECCOMMEND.

The remaining people on our tour wh stayed said it was worse than what we thought, the breakfast included was - fries or friend rice...........

• Stayed January 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Indonesian first
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 30, 2010

I originally booked 2 nights in this hotel, I only stayed one night. The room was so small I found it hard to believe is was a superior double. But that wasn't really my issue with the place. It just looked so dingy, although the room looked clean the bathroom was a mess. I am Asian and I was really grossed out by the lack of cleanliness that I perceived in the bathroom. The staff was a bit indifferent, but not terribly rude, and the location is not the best.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
London
Reviewed November 21, 2010

Stayed during a group tour. This hotel has defintely seen better days and is in dire need of some refurbishment. Watchout if you book a "double" room that you are not put in one without windows, no matter what floor you are on these feel like a dungeon and are claustrophobic. Fortunately when we complained they moved us to a room with windows, but why stick us in there in the first place when "proper" rooms are available ?
Staff seemed lackadaisical and not terribly bothered about their guests. Included breakfast was OK, didn't try any other meals.
Location is OK for access to the Central Market but too much of a hike to the riverside, palace etc. Remember to bargain hard with the tuktuk drivers outside the hotel, you will need to use them a lot from here.
At the end of the tour we moved out of this hotel for our last cuple of days in PP so I know there are much much better hotels available in PP for similar cost

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank SJB10
black river
Reviewed November 8, 2010

The room was a little smaller than expected and were tiny and one of the rooms did not have a window.Stayed at the hotel for a total of 2 nights,there were strange noises coming from another guest in the corridor of the hotel,we didn't know what it was. The reception are not very impressed with there behaviour.The breakfast was very simple and only had some options. Never Again!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Leiden, the Netherlands
Reviewed November 1, 2010

This hotel is a very good place to stay. Very clean and comforable room; clean building; good restaurant on first floor and 'the Corner' downstairs where both Western and local food is avalable at fair prices; reception is always eager to help. Laundry is done cheap and fast. Good masage center to look after feet and body. Four internet stations. Modest breakfast; but enough as a starter and served with a smile. Supermarket at walking distance. Tuktuks in front of hotel. Most sites are within a two dollar tuktukrange. If I come back to Phnom I will certainly book this hotel again!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank reiziger99
United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights in August 2010. First things first, the location really isn't great if you are a tourist. I have no problem walking everywhere and it's only 10-15 minutes to the riverside where all the life is in Phnom Penh. However, at night (which is pretty early here) there are hardly any roads with street lighting and it's difficult to get back at such a time. Yeah sure, you could take a tuk-tuk but the reason we chose it was because it was walking distance, which at night it isn't really. Location is average in that respect.

The restaurant is probably the only other thing I could say something nice about here. The food was pretty good and was reasonably priced. Breakfast was OK for a freebie.

The rest though, oh dear. We stayed in a superior room, although what is meant by this I will never know. They gave us a room originally right next to the restoration work that was going on. Not a problem, the sign in the lobby said they started at 09:30 and on the floor it said 9am. We were planning to be up by then so it wasn't a problem. So, you're all excited to know, what time did they start?!

Answer: 7:55am. We were not impressed especially with our early start the day before! The fact they put us next to the work as well was even worse, the builders might as well have been using the drills in our room it was that loud. The passageway to the lifts and stairs had been taken up by scaffolding and it was a very very small gap, essentially cut off from the rest of the hotel.

My partner went downstairs to complain and they did seem at least co-operative giving us another room on the 4th floor on the other side of the building. It was quiet but, the room was a twin room. Not what we'd ordered. It did have a window though, something our other room didn't have.

Not happy, so she went and complained again saying that we'd paid for a superior double. This time they gave us one on the same floor as we were on (3rd) but on the other side. It was half the size of the room we were originally in, had no bath and the window had disappeared again. This was rapidly turning into a joke. I got involved this time and we both went downstairs. They weren't very sympathetic on the desk at all, and explained to me that all the rooms we've seen our superiors, despite them being completely different from each other! The 4th room of our trip there was essentially the same as our first one, on the 2nd floor. Someone came up with us to check it was OK this time (how kind of them). Why on earth they couldn't do this in the first place, I will never know. We had great fun moving to the room, having to push our bags through the tiny gap left by the construction site.

Conspiracy perhaps? Our breakfast slips given to us on check in originally had the room we were finally given on them which had been scribbled out and we'd had the construction site room given to us on check in instead. Maybe they saw how young we were and thought they could offload a crap room to us.

I'm not going to just moan about that either, oh no. The internet connection is absolutely awful too, just to top it off.

Nevermind, I'm here, I've survived the incident and I'm writing to tell you all never to use this hotel, ever.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
beijing
Reviewed April 12, 2010

The hotel is in good location with lots of parking. I was greeted with friendly staffs at the reception and the bellboys were most eager to help me with my bags. I think the price was suitable for my needs and the rooms were furnished quite well. the best about the Mittapheap Hotel was that they provide free breakfast which i liked and fast internet. The restaurant staffs were very friendly even if they didnt speak much English. I really enjoyed the happy hour there too. This hotel is good and reasonable and i recommend to any of my friends.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo