“amazing cooking class”
Review of Cambodia Cooking Class - CLOSED

Cambodia Cooking Class
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This was my first cooking class in Asia and I was not disappointed. The young chef was very pleasant, personable and funny. Each dish was well explained and demonstrated with adequate group and individual supervision. There was an emphasis on hand washing which was great.
The class was very well organized with each work station possessing the required ingrédients. Chilled mineral water was provided for all participants. The atmosphere was fun yet informative. This was a fabulous experience that I would heartily recommend!

There are newer reviews for Cambodia Cooking Class

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I honestly thought it was average at best. Perhaps I just caught it on a bad day. First the positives - I think food (and thus a cooking class) is a great way to learn about a new culture while traveling. It's also a great way to meet people and have a good meal. I think you can do all of that here. The issues were - the class size at 13 was too big. Should have been split into two groups. Also, the schedule called for 3 courses but we only got 2 - despite being 1 hour past the scheduled end time. Finally, when we went to collect the recipe books, they did not have enough for each person in the group. It's just not a well organized operation. I would recommend investigating other groups or taking a class elsewhere in your travels.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

My husband is a professional chef.....and I am definitely not! but this was the highlight of our trip to Phnom Penh. We did the full day course on a rooftop a short distance from Frizz restaurant. Everything was excellent! And a real bargain at less than $25 each. We made a number of dishes after an escorted trip to the market to purchase fresh ingredients. The class was small which allowed for individual attention, and the hygiene was very good. We were able to eat each dish we made and have short breaks between. You do not have to be a chef to do this as the instructor is extremely helpful. There are 2 menus to choose from, and I will be very keen to have a go at the other one next time I am in Phnom Penh.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Son was our teacher. She was very knowledgable and interactive when showing us around the local market to select our ingredients. Great sense of humour while giving us the instructions for cooking the srping rolls and Fish Amok. 1/2 day suited us as the heat of the day meant it was too hot to eat 3 courses. Food was great & really enjoyed the experience

Reviewed August 17, 2013

This was a last minute decision for me, although I had already bragged to my friends weeks before that I would be going to do a cooking class.
Okay, so my last night in Cambodia arrived and I was departing mid-afternoon the following day.
Why not book a cooking class to take up the next morning?
So I did. Jules and I along with another 4 people all squished into a tuk-tuk and headed to the markets... what a sight for the senses. The colours, smells, live fish jumping off tables to land on the muck in front of you (another reason I don't wear white), and the whole pig in portions displayed for all to purchase... anyway, I digress, back to the cooking class.
After our ingredients had been chosen, it was back on the tuk-tuks and off to somewhere, up an alley beside a non-descript building and then up about 4 flights before stopping on the top? floor (penthouse is the location, not the description). Walking onto the back deck area, there was a covered 'open-air' kitchen set up. A great lounge for you to rest on overlooked the street below and out across the skyline.
We had a great hands-on experience doing a starter and a main... the main being Fish Amok, complete with specially crafted banana leaf bowls.
Let me just say that our chef was very entertaining, the group very eager and that certainly made for a pleasant morning.
I am very pleased with the mortar and pestle method of making the curry for the fish amok and the simple crafting that went into our banana leaf bowls... I must remember to ask the neighbours if I can borrow a leaf or two every so often.
Our meals were great, well, I can only speak for myself. I believe it rivalled one I had earlier in my trip, so I was chuffed.
I would have liked to have done the full day and get in another 3 dishes, but, it was getting close to check-out time and I needed to get back to the markets to change some clothes I had bought the previous day.
This is a quick and simple cooks introduction. Regardless of your level of experience, you will have fun and get out of it what you put in.
Enjoy your foodie adventure, MackVegan