Flamingos Hotel
$49
$41
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
G Mekong Hotel(Phnom Penh)
$45
$36
$31
$27
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed February 2, 2007

Again like other people, I booked this hotel based on earlier, more positive reviews. The hotel is located in a great location a five minute walk from the centre, national museum, bars restaurant and waterfront.

The hotel was fairly clean and offers breakfast and free shuttle to and from the airport. Unfortunately the hotel attracts a number of older (50+!!) single western men, which are there for only one thing. I stayed for two nights and on both nights I was woken several times by the sound of squeaky mattresses and other related noises, not what you want to hear!!

If you have come to Cambodia for the sites and culture, please avoid this hotel. There are numerous cheaper and better hotels than this one. When I returned to Phnom Penh, I stayed at the Spring Guesthouse (see Lonely Planet), a much better choice.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled solo
5  Thank UK_Lost_Traveller
Reviewed January 19, 2007

Saw some relatively beinign reviews and thought that $25 for a double room, free web access and being relatively central it was worth a risk. I was wrong. By the time I had unpacked and tried to arrange a couple of things e.g. a Tuk Tuk for the day I decided to cut my losses and paid for the first night and left.

Reasons:
- Sleaze, this hotel caters primarily to the older gentleman who prefers young female company.
- Room was awful, bare and had a particularly bad adour
- Attitiude of staff, felt like I was being scammed when trying to book a tuk tuk to tour the city

Unless you fall into the category of 'gentleman' mentioned above you should avoid at all costs...

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled solo
7  Thank IrishmanAbroad
Reviewed December 1, 2006

I have stayed at the Flamingos Hotel several times over the last 2 and a half years, sometimes up to 6 weeks at a time while working in Cambodia. Recently I discovered while I was absent from my room someone was helping themselves to my belongings. I obtained photographic evidence with time stamps that showed the latest theft could only have occurred while the room was being cleaned. After discussing this with the manager/part owner I was advised that it could not have happened as all cleaning staff denied knowledge of the thefts. In fact I was made to feel as if I had done wrong in detecting theft by their staff.
Never again will I stay at his hotel, and can only advise others to take care.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
11  Thank Mr_Kim_flamingos2
Reviewed September 3, 2006

My family of four (all of us adults) stayed here in June, 2006. Like the last couple of people to post reviews, I was enticed to use this hotel by earlier Tripadvisor 'raves'. We were extremely disappointed.

As the more recent reviewers mentioned, it appeared to us that this hotel is catering to single western men looking for sleazy adventures in Phnom Penh. For example, the lobby and bar was populated with older western males and much younger (& sometimes inebriated) Cambodian females. With few exceptions, the older white males appeared to be 'paired up' with one of the younger Cambodian females. I later heard from one of my children that one of the inebriated girls they saw in the lobby looked to be about twelve. The next day, when we caught the complimentary Flamingo Hotel shuttle to the airport, the six other people on the mini-bus (heading to the airport) were all solo westerm males. Not a coincidence, I think.

The rooms seemed clean enough, although we saw an insect in each of our rooms (a cricket in mine, a centipede in my daughter's room). The hotel may be a 'new' business, but the building is very old. The rooms are refurbished, however, and quite nice-looking, modern decor, and a good size. The bathrooms are the kind where the entire bathroom is your shower stall (no separate stall). We encountered this type of washroom in a number of hotels in SE Asia (and even one in Australia). The A/C worked well. The rooms were quiet, including one of our rooms which faced the front street. There is no in-room safe. Very slow Internet was available for free in the lobby. It was so slow, I sent off one short email and then I just gave up. Although none of the rooms are dedicated as non-smoking, there was no smoky smell in our rooms. The elevator broke down temporarily in the morning, and there was a brief power outage in the evening.

The included breakfast is one of the most disappointing we encountered in our three weeks in southeast asia. Most breakfasts in SE Asia hotels are buffets with fresh fruit & juices, and lots of variety including both western and asian options. But at the Flamingo, you order off a 'set menu', and it's a very small meal (eg. two slices of toast, or one large pancake, or one muffin). This is fine for some people, but it wasn't enough -- for example -- for my 18-year-old son!

The hotel is located in a residential neighborhood but within a ten minute walk of Central Market. We ate dinner in the rooftop restaurant, and found the food to be basic and good. The waitress was pleasant, but it took a long time after ordering for our meals to arrive.

Overall, I wouldn't go back to this hotel. Although it was cheap (about $20 US per room per night) and the rooms were clean, I don't want to stay in a hotel that allows and/or encourages the abuse of children and/or women via the heartbreaking sex-tourism industry in Cambodia.

• Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank lucky
Reviewed August 10, 2006

I chose this hotel as it had some great reviews on TripAdvisor, but I was a little disappointed. The hotel is modern, with good sized rooms that were clean. The main problem was the area! The street is dark and dirty with dubious characters hanging about, and I did not feel safe at night. We travelled extensively in Vietnam and Cambodia, and this was the only place I felt unsafe. I would not recommend lone females stay here. On the plus side, it's really cheap, but with hindsight I wish we'd stayed down on the riverside.

7  Thank hjw975