“A haven in Phnom Penh”
Review of Anise Villa

Anise Villa
Ranked #8 of 281 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Phnom Penh is a very busy, noisy city and the new Anise Villa Boutique Hotel on street 400 provides a moment of calm and relaxation. Happy hour cocktails can be enjoyed in the walled garden and pool area. The rooms were very comfortable and the staff superlative. Always friendly, helpful with our faltering attempts to speak Khmer, and there is a wide range of breakfasts included with the price of the room. As the hotel is not in the main tourist area it is more quiet and conducive to a good night's sleep, We would thoroughly recommend anyone passing through Phnom Penh to stay at the new Anise.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed February 28, 2014

I spent six weeks working in Phnom Penh. Anise Villa is lovely and I can and did recommend it to others who have since stayed there. The staff made me feel welcome and did their best to fill both my business and personal needs and requests. My room was spacious with a very comfortable bed. The excellent breakfasts and the five pieces of laundry daily which were included were greatly appreciated.

The hotel was a bit out of the city - the positive side of that was a quiet environment. The downside was that every time I wanted to eat elsewhere during the six weeks, it was a $3 tuk-tuk ride each way downtown. This I hadn't expected since my correspondence with the hotel prior to my arrival promised a free shuttle to and from their sister hotel near Independence Monument, much more centrally located. Since my original reservation at the downtown location would have required me to change rooms midway through my stay, I was offered the Villa as an alternative with this perk which was denied. On the positive side, when my reservation was changed, I was upgraded to a mini-suite, a room with a kitchenette. The room wasn't yet completely outfitted when I arrived. During my stay, they added a gas cooktop (but no pots), a full length mirror, a chair for the patio and then a patio table -- both of the latter disappearing near the end of my stay and seen on the patio outside a second floor room. I was able to laugh at the quirkiness, and fully enjoyed my home away from home, but someone accustomed to a well-established hotel with full business services might be less pleased.

Room Tip: This hotel is a walk up so if your room is on the third floor, you'll have daily exercise. I tho...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed at Anise Villa at the beginning of a two year stint as volunteers in Phnom Penh. The facilities were great - clean, spacious, good food and very friendly staff. We were learning how to speak Khmer and the staff were fantastic, helping us and putting up with our many and varied attempts while encouraging us all the way. We had a short trip away and have come back to a very warm and welcoming reception. We would definitely recommend Anise Villa to anyone visiting Phnom Penh.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Libby W
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

I spent three nights here split between two rooms, both were really nice with all of the comforts you would expect in a Western hotel. My friend stayed in a third room which was really cool with mats and pillows on either side of a huge platform king size bed frame built into the architecture, perfect for watching one of the dvds available in the lobby on the in room DVD player!

The complimentary breakfast was really good and made more enjoyable by the poolside dining area surrounded by a lovely garden and overhanging flowers and trees. The menu has an amazing mango crumble dessert with kampot pepper that is unique and delicious.

The staff was friendly and very helpful! I really have no complaints except they were fully booked on what would have been my fourth night.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We loved our stay at Anise Villa. Although the tuk-tuk driver had some problems finding the way, when we arrived Anise Villa we didn't regret it for one second. Warm and welcoming staff who provided us whith everything we needed, nice and big rooms, a beautiful pool area and a great spa. It was the perfect place to stay after sightseeing in busy Phnom Penh. The breakfast included was also great and a drink by the pool in the evening is highly recomended. There is no elevator in the building, but the staff help you carrying all our luggage, so that was no problem. It's located in a quiet area, away from the hustle and bustle in the streets. The spa offes great value for money. Free drycleaning of 5 items a day topped it off:)

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Missmorell
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed with our family (2 parents, 2 kids) at the Anise Villa Hotel for 3 nights. As we first wanted to stay in the 204 or the Kabiki hotel but booked too late we chose this hotel based on the few but very good ratings/comments. And: we were not disappointed. The hotel is brand new and everything is very tidy. The rooms as well as the bath rooms are spacious and feature everything you need. A/C is working very well. The four of us had a twin bed room which is fine for a family of four.

When we were at the hotel we spent most of the time at the pool/bar area. It is designed in a modern way and is also absolutely tidy. The pool is very refreshing! Here, you can also take your breakfast, which was included in our rate. You can choose from baguette/toast with honey and jam (which was better than in most of the places before), fresh fruits with muesli, bacon and eggs, etc. Everything was very good, again.

Besides the good room etc. we really enjoyed the good service and friendlyness of the staff. They organized our Vietnam visa within 24h and helped us with everything else we needed (directions for the tuk-tuk, restaurant bookings).

Regarding the location: it is a little bit off the main tourist areas (10-15 min drive with tuk-tuk) but it is close to the Boeung Keng Kang area – one of the upcoming and interesting quarters with good restaurants and some shops.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Jochen S
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I spent last weekend at the brand new Anise Villa. I found it on TA but actually had my Tuk Tuk driver take me for a look before booking. I was delighted with the third room they showed me -rm 301 on the top floor with a big terrace and sliding glass wall for $75 a night. Very clean and excellent AC and quiet at night.

The staff were all nice but maybe a bit inexperienced in hotel services as they lacked basic knowledge in travelers ordinary questions - referring me to seek the advise of my Tuk Tuk driver instead. But they will learn.
Overall I did not need much help anyway and my room was a good value. They provide free laundry and did a nice job.
There is a good restaurant on the way to the riverside called Friends, that trains former street kids to be in this industry. I met and visited with several people while sipping a glass of wine and waiting on a table. Don't leave if you see a wait - it was fast and fun to chat with other travelers.
I went to a great great beautiful restaurant right on the waterfront but can't recall the name. It is quite large and beautifully lighted inside and out with comfy lounge seating outside where we dined. Hope you can figure out which and enjoy.
Hope this helps,