$58
$42
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of $49/night.

$77
$70
The Pavilion(Phnom Penh)
$64
$57
  • Breakfast included
G Mekong Hotel(Phnom Penh)
$45
$36
$200
$152
Trip.com
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of $189/night.

$205
$33
$32
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmicro brewerywashing machineoyster restaurantthe riverapartment styledining tableroyal palacefull kitchensmall kitchenliving roomlong staytonle sapdvd playerswimming poolhome away from homeenjoyable stayexcellent location
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I spent 3 weeks in a studio during a business trip to Phnom Penh and found it the perfect place to stay. Its location is unmatchable - on the riverbank where the Tonle Sap and the Mekong converge. Very peaceful and quiet but an easy walk to the main Riverside restaurants, Royal Palace, Museum, Silver Pagoda etc.

My room on the 4th floor had a lovely view of the river, although most of the best views are from the bigger apartments. The studio was large, with a king bed and a couple of upholstered chairs and a small dining table for 2. Be aware that the bed is hard - as are most Asian beds - and the pillows are feathers (my pet hate!). The aircond is more than adequate, though personally I don't like it blowing on the bed. The kitchen was fully equipped, with full sized refrigerator, microwave, hotplates and all the cooking gear you need. There is a Pencil supermarket about 5 minutes walk away if you want to cook for yourself (though why would you when there are so many great and inexpensive restaurants in PP?). No washing machine in the studio apartments, but the Himawari has a very efficient laundry service (in by 9.00am, back that evening) or there is a $1 per kilo laundry a few minutes walk away. For small stuff there is a clothes line over the bath.

The bathroom is small but clean and modern, and if you remember to turn on the hot water booster there is plenty of hot water. The apartment is serviced daily (though sometimes quite late in the day) and everything is kept very clean.

The pool is great - big enough to do laps. It gets pretty crowded in the afternoon, especially on weekends, so if you want to do laps, go early in the morning. The gym is well-equipped though some of the equipment is getting a bit tired. I didn't use the tennis court (too hot and wet!), but it looks good and has night lights.

The breakfast buffet was fabulous - tons of choice, with fresh fruit, eggs, pancakes, noodles etc to order as well as lots of chafing dishes full of different things. The best thing though was the staff. I was always welcomed with a big smile and after a couple of days, my preferred tea was brought to me without asking!

There was also an evening buffet, as well as a la carte. The buffet looked fresh and varied. The a la carte was pretty good, though not up to the standard of top PP restaurants. It was inexpensive by western standards, though fairly pricey for PP. The exception was the cocktails! At $3.80 per cocktail, they were great value - but even better was the free second one during Happy Hour from 4 - 8pm! Perfect on the outdoor terrace overlooking the river in the evening.

The Bizcafe is good for a coffee and sandwich or cake - though it is quite expensive. Loved the selection of books (in several languages) that you can borrow.

There is a hairdresser and spa across the carpark, both of which were quite expensive by PP standards ($25 for 1hr massage) but very clean and good.

Overall, I would rate the Himawari as the best place to stay in PP. It is not as luxurious as the Raffles, but for the price it was top-rate. And the staff were so friendly and helpful that I cannot praise them enough. It makes all the difference to a stay when the staff are always smiling and willing to talk and assist.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view, preferably away from the road.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank lovethattravel
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Not really many big pros or cons. We just had a wonderful stay.
The place is adequate in all departments in it's category. Only 1 thing really stands out: the location.
Priceless

Room Tip: Not worth it if you don't take river view. Make sure you get it or go to a cheaper place
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank keepontravellin... t
Reviewed May 3, 2012

As we pulled up at the hotel we were met by a young lady with a huge smile and a bright yellow flower in her buttonhole and it all went from there. We were taken to the room and told we had been upgraded. The room was well furnished - or more to the point rooms - a family of 4 could have lived there. We had 3 TVs, a DVD, a lounge area, dining area, full kitchen facility, very comfortable beds, 2 bathrooms, a washing machine and even a form one filled in for any maintenance requirement which would be acted upon on housekeeping's arrival. The courtesy of the staff extended to all of the restaurant people, the reception area and the business centre facility. The food available was first class; selection for breakfast would suit any age and any nationality and the evening restaurant either al a carte or buffet style was very good indeed. One small point both my wife and I liked is that the restaurant staff addressed us by name. The hotel sports facilities were very good having a large outdoor swimming pool, a gym and an excellent steam room which incidentally was one of the reasons why I chose this hotel. On the areas I have noted I would give this hotel 9.9 out of 10 and would recommend it without question. However, there are a few minor adjustments needed and sadly this was all in one area. The gym staff need to be reminded who the customers are and the pool area needs somebody to look after sunbeds as people were left to their own resources. Only if a boy was asked would a sunbed get organised.

Our next adventure on from the Himawari was aborted and we returned to this hotel and we had a second stay. I can only say good about this very well run hotel making both stays most enjoyable in a city we had never been to before. I doubt whether I shall ever go to Phnom Penh again but one can rest assured if I did revisit I would stay at this hotel again as not only the stay was lovely but the location was good on the waterfront where everything appears to happen. We are a couple in our late 50s/early 60s globe trotting flashpackers and would recommend this hotel wholeheartedly to similar and families alike. My thanks to the Himawari for a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Both rooms we had were fine although we would have preferred seats on the balconies.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travellers5658
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This hotel while a little dated is located within a 10 minute walk from many attractions. The food was very good with a nice mix of Eastern and Western . The staff all were extremly helpful and friendly . Large rooms with nice views and a open air feel to the property . Well worth the money and would recomend for both Business and Family alike .

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river and downtown .
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Stayed here for four nights on a recent business trip in February. The room was spacious, although we had a bit of issue with the air-cond. In my opinion, the airconds were just not powerful enough to cool such spacious rooms.
Location was good - you could walk to the palace, and riverfront area. We ate at their restaurant one night, the food was pretty good.
My wife and kid loved the pool. Overall, good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for river-view rooms, though they may cost a bit more
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family