“Recommend this Hotel”

Ranked #42 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Darwin
“Recommend this Hotel”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The hotel is located on a street with a lot of local activity & is within walking distance of the Royal Palace. The rooms are a good size with a comfortable bed, TV, fridge & safe. On each floor there is a lovely verandah area with lounges, food service & WIFI available. The pool area on the ground floor is also very pleasant but unfortunately our 3 nights/2 days in Phnom Penh did not allow us time to enjoy. The breakfast is extremely good with eggs, buffet food & fruit available. The staff are friendly & helpful & overall the hotel has a very good feel about it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CricketGirlDarwin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Polish first
Croydon
Reviewed February 11, 2013

After the tedious bureaucracy of Phnom Penh airport it was great to be delivered to Hotel Nine a very welcoming place. We took advantage of the pool side bar service and unwound. A familiar theme for the next 4 days. Cocktail hour was another bonus!

My room was very comfortable and clean and there were lots of soft seating on the balcony. Also some internet access via a communal pc. Breakfast was a bit disappointing and the coffee was foul but it wouldn't stop me returning as it was so relaxing and I enjoyed chatting to Franco the Aussie owner about his love of Phnom Penh and what brought him there. I was struck by his energy and determination to make the hotel a pleasant place to spend time in. It was ideal to return to after exhausting sight-seeing and for contemplation post a visit to Tuol Sleng and Choeung Ek. A tuk tuk was always available outside for trips into town and it was easy to return to the hotel after a late night.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor if you are fit for the spiral staircase because you can get a view of surroundin...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SurreyGrahame
DEVON ENGLAND
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

The location is excellent to walk to royal palace, silver pagoda , s21. A decent map is provided upon arrival . The rooms are decent size finished to a modern western style standard. The courtyards have nice seating meaning you can sit outside late on into the night. The wifi is better on the ground floor and not to bad on the 1st. It's not so great in room 303 . Not a problem to go a sit outside on the comfy chairs though. If you really need a hard line connection a computer is provided on level 2.
Our room was a corner room so it had an external view window. others have door and window opening into the open stairway courtyards.

I would recommend ear plugs if you are a light sleeper as the clip clopping of flappy flip flops did echo around the building as people used the spiral staircase. And ( not that this is the fault of the hotel) but the builing next door booted a cat out and it meowed all night every night. Again echoing around the courtyard style stairways .

I had a bout of illness when I turned up here ( not because of here) and the staff were very helpful . The restaurant cooked me up bland food and brought it to the room. Kept an eye out to make sure I was ok . It's moments like this I was happy to be at this hotel. Aircon on . Clean bathroom and comfortable clean bedding is what I needed .and that's what I got. My wife went and used the pool and used the Internet whilst I slept. I can't imagine how much worse this could have been in one of the other hotels we have stayed at.

Many others comment about the price . I didn't think it was too expensive but it is just that bit more that you think humm a dollar here and a few cents there . We were here for the kings funeral week and they didn't ramp the room prices up. The food was more expensive than down the road on bar/restaurant street. But in my condition I was pleased to eat food that I could see was prepared in clean conditions. breakfast was included on the room price and the options were more than what most provided and of decent quality . If you wish to save money for the other meals of the day then directly out the front is 2 local style eateries and a market that sells fish and other local food stuff.

If I had to give a negative it would be that in trying to be a western style hotel that should put tea making facilities in all of the rooms not just the most expensive rooms. But this is only a minor point.

I would stay here again .

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank CLEMOZ
Burleigh Heads, Australia
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed here for one night.

Hotel nice enough...but...

Walls paper thin.

Kept awake all night by other guests.

Had a guy start drilling tiles off the wall at 7:30am with a power saw. Left, but came back later, and rather than knocking on our door, he just let himself into our room to see if we were in it!

That wasnt even the worst.

We were travelling on to Kep. Asked reception for advice on hiring a private car. They convinced us to go via minibus with Giant Ibis saying it was cheaper at $15/person, more comfortable, safer, and only 2.5hrs direct. I questioned them on the time, cost and route because it didn't match what I'd read, but they told me it was new for 2013.

Of course, they would book it all for us. We knew there would be a commission, but assumed it was only a couple of dollars like everywhere else we'd stayed...for the peace of mind, it was worth it.

So..
Pickup never turned up, but hotel arranged tuk-tuk to depot. Was a mad rush, but made it...only to be told that Giant Ibis only go to Kampot and that we would have to pay for a tuk-tuk to Kep from Kampot. Had already paid hotel $15 to go straight to Kep.Told this to bus company who couldnt believe what we'd paid...turns out tickets to Kampot are only $8, so the guy at the hotel had taken double in commission!! Also found out that it would take about 5-6hrs total, not 2.5hrs like the hotel staff had promised.

Arrived at Kampot on dusk and had scariest ride of our lives (have ridden busses in Egypt that felt safer). Road was dark, rutted, and only good for a single lane. Tuk-tuk had engine probs, so had to pull over in pitch dark to try to fix.

All-in-all, really stressful, and completely blame hotel who blatantly lied to us.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank MellieJeen
Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Spent one night in Hotel Nine before beginning a tour of Cambodia. The room was clean as was bathroom. Phnom Penh is chaotic so it was nice on upon arrival to then have food and drinks downstairs in the hotel. Price for room was fine but food perhaps a little expensive..Pool area was beautiful. The hotel arranged for us to do Yoga with a local instructor which was great. Would return as the next hotel we stayed in was awful in comparision.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank che09-12
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Spent 3 nights in Sept 2012 and it was alright. The breakfast was good in my opinion, but a huge buffet choice but the quality was good and it is a small area which did the job. The rooms are quite small and have large gaps in the door which meant we were constantly on attack from mosquitoes. Besides that, the wi if was good, the bar and tapas menu tasty and very cheap. You don't spend much time in your room in PP anyway.

Overall it wasn't a bad place to be, enabled us to walk home from restaurants in the evening and we were relatively close to a few of the sites we wanted to see.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Steadyfreddy23
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights in Jan. Overall it's not worth the US$50 I paid per night (as I booked earlier in 2012) and definitely not the $60 they now charge per night. I was in room 303 which is in the corner at the back of the hotel. The room was clean however it is not very warming as lights are feral white while the bathrooms are gloomy especially at night. The toilet flush was always playing up too as the button wouldn't retract. And the full flush button never worked. The rate includes breakfast which is sufficient but not anything spectacular. They make eggs (fried, scrambled or omelette) fresh for you and there are 3 other hot items available, 3 fruits, 2 cereals, toast, juice, tea and coffee.

On my last night, I found a bar/hotel called The Quay right on the river and heart of town to have a drink at. I spoke to a guest and he said he's paying $47 a night and the rooms are much nicer than at Hotel 9. Although there isn't a pool at Quay but in the end, we never used the one at Hotel 9. I think in general you pay more for a pool but we were always out.

The staff are really nice and helpful. Giving us tips on where to eat and how much things should cost. They're very friendly and went out of their way to assist us.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple