Omana Hotel
$49
$41
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
G Mekong Hotel(Phnom Penh)
$45
Blue Lime(Phnom Penh)
$40
$36
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsindependence monumenttuk tukpool arearoyal palacesmall poolstreet foodboutique hotellocal marketan excellent hotelrain showerrooms are cleanceiling fanthird floorcomfy bedno liftan oasisstay in phnom penh
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Hotel Nine is located centrally in Phnom Penh. We had driven by minivan from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh, a long seven hour trip, particularly the last hour coming into the outer suburbs of Phnom Penh. The road is being rebuilt and currently it is atrocious so we were very pleased to get into central Phnom Penh and the run along the riverside and into the traffic chaos that is Asia and Phnom Penh. It seems to be a large city just because of the layout and the traffic. We had seen a lot of hotels that we passed but were a bit concerned when we turned off the main road and into a narrow local lane. The driver pulled up and advised we were there, only then did I notice the large green figure nine on the wall. We were indeed there. It is a narrow, vibrant street just off the main thoroughfare with a market just down the road, local eatery on the corner at night and everything within a $2 tuk tuk ride.
The staff came rushing out and our luggage, and us, were deposited through the gate and into the small reception area. Compulsory welcome drink and cold towel and follow our bags upstairs. There is no lift, just a narrow spiral staircase, so you made sure you didn’t forget anything, and it could be a problem for anyone with mobility problems. There are three floors of accommodation each with six units on each floor with a large deck area on each floor with tables and lounges on the deck. The second floor deck had a free computer set up and fans were placed on both sides of the decks.
There is a relatively small pool and restaurant on the ground floor with a small outdoor dining area and lounges and umbrellas around the pool. Breakfast is served in the restaurant but it does have limited seating. Breakfast is self-help with cereals and juices, and orders are taken for the cooked breakfast. It was all well done and the staff could not have been more friendly or helpful. Franco, the Australian onsite manager/owner is very hands on in all areas and assists with breakfast every morning. He is most helpful and attentive and makes you feel welcome at all times. He knows Phnom Penh and is a fount of wisdom on anything you want to know in regard to shopping, restaurants whatever. He recommended the Laughing Fat Man restaurant, after a near disastrous first night adventure at Riverside, and it was brilliant. Ask the staff they can get you a tuk tuk to take you there for a flat $2, there is always at least one outside the door of the hotel.
The rooms could at best be described as minimalist, if that is your thing. We found it a bit too minimalist with aircon, a bed, desk and chair, and a small bathroom with shower, basin and toilet. Nowhere to hang anything, either in the room or bathroom. Everything is white, inside and out. Interesting, our friends with the room next door had aircon and fan and swinging door to the bathroom, which took up a lot of room, whereas we had only aircon and a sliding door which was far more practical in the quite small rooms.
That said, it is centrally located, clean and the staff are great, particularly Franco. Also it is a supporter of SISHA which is concerned with child exploitation and prostitution in Cambodia and SE ASia, you can pay $5 to have your hand print and name on the supporters wall near the pool. A very worthwhile cause in a country still coming to grips with its new found freedom and independence.
Why do you go to Phnom Penh? It is a very interesting city in itself and cheap, but the main reason most tourists come to Phnom Penh is to visit the Killing Fields and Tuol Sleng , the interrogation and torture centre during the Pol Pot era and the horrors it inflicted on the country. It is a must do, but be warned it is depressing and confronting and certainly makes you appreciate the freedom you enjoy in your country. It is a tuk tuk ride to visit both in the one morning but it is very hot, make sure you are sensibly dressed and take water.

Room Tip: The higher floors are only accessed by a narrow spiral staircase.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Recently, I spent 4 nights as a guest at Hotel Nine. The hotel had been recommended by a friend who lives in Phnom Penh, and I am glad I took his advice. I found during my stay, that Hotel Nine is an exceptionally well-managed hotel. My rooms was well-equipped, modern, a good bathroom, and small table where I could write.
You have the amenities and service of an expensive, upscale hotel at a bargain price. The breakfast is first class and in a comfortable, light setting overlooking the central courtyard and pool.
I found the staff helpful and knowledgeable. Marko, the manager, greets you by name and has a genuine interest in his guests. I am a frequent traveler in the region, and to Phnom Penh in particular. My next trip to Phnom Penh I will definitely book the Hotel Nine. It is also conveniently located in Phnom Penh, and you'll have no problem finding inexpensive transportation right on the doorstep.

Room Tip: I stayed on the third floor and there is a large balcony where you can sit and read.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Christopher M
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I stayed 2 nights at the Hotel Nine and it was absolutely fantastic. I'm not sure what I was most impressed with as the rooms, decor, cleanliness, pool, food were all incredible. I suppose the only thing that might have topped all of those were the service by the staff, and especially Marko who deserves all of the accolades which I've seen from previous reviewers.

While the hotel isn't right SMACK in the middle of the busy Sisowath area, it allowed for a tranquil peace while hanging out, especially beside the refreshing dipping pool. And an easy and affordable ($2) Tuk Tuk ride.

If you're looking for tasteful peace with top notch service then I would highly recommend Hotel Nine.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 12, 2012

After seeing glowing reviews on tripadvisor, I booked here for a few nights. The professional pictures you find a tripadvisor make Hotel Nine seem like a luxury hotel. It is not. It is an budget hotel with upscale touches here and there. If you book here knowing this fact, you will have a much more enjoyable experience.

Expecting a luxury experience, my first impressions were not good. I arrived in Phnom Penh late at night, and found this hotel in a dark, seedy looking street. (I soon realized though, all of PP looked like this). The night staff didn't speak a lick of English. My room on the second floor, had little ants crawling ALL over the room, in the bathroom, even on my toothbrush, it was disgusting. The door to my room, when closed, left a gap wide enough for people to peek in. My friend's room also had the same problem.

I was determined to switch hotels, but I woke up the next day to find that the hotel was in a nifty, vibrant neighborhood, adjacent to a market. The staff was very friendly and hospitable. I switched to a 3rd floor room, which had no problems with bugs or ill-fitting doors. Breakfast was decent, and free. The room had a safe, minibar, television, air-conditioning and ceiling fan.

PROS:
-Friendly staff, from doorman to housekeeping ladies. Very professional and courteous Aussie Manager, Franco. Franco definitely made Phnom Penh feel less foreign, and made Hotel Nine seem a little like a home away from home. In my opinion, Franco is Hotel Nine's competitive advantage.
-Good location. Close enough to the action, but far enough away from the noise.
-Same day cheap laundry service. A must considering how much you'll sweat in Cambodia.
-Market nearby that offers sundries, cheap eats, a real non-touristy Cambodian experience at non-touristy prices.

CONS:
-A bit pricy. At 50 dollars a night, one can find a comparable room in PP for cheaper.
-Absolutely not sound-proofed. If you party hard into the night or visiting Cambodia for a "certain" kind of tourism, this hotel is not for you.
-Narrow spiral staircase. I am young and agile, but I still tripped a couple times on these steps. If you have mobility issues, you should look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Book on agoda, and not directly on the hotel website for the best rates. 303 is a great room, larger than other standard doubles.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank BostonianT
Reviewed May 10, 2012

This is our second time staying at Hotel 9 and we are just as impressed as our first visit. The hotel is very clean, western, modern and a relaxing refuge from the hustle and bustle of Phnom Penh. The staff are very attentive to your needs but not pushy and the Australian owner is very much present and involved in the running of the hotel and to make guests feel extremely welcome. The owner is also very happy to chat and advise on what Phnom Penh has to offer- it's like having your own personal tourist bureau! The food and drinks are fantastic- the owner use to own restaurants in Australia and delivers top quality and affordable food if you just want to lounge by the pool or can't be bothered going out. The buffet breakfast is fresh and tasty, including the option of freshly made eggs or a delicious omelette. One of our highlights of Hotel 9 is definitely the $2 cocktails by the pool during the 'happy hours'- perfectly timed for when you return to the hotel after a long day out exploring Phnom Penh.

• Stayed: May 2012