“Lovely stay in a quiet place”
Review of Omana Hotel

Omana Hotel
Ranked #44 of 274 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed October 30, 2011

My friend and I had stayed at Hotel Nine for 2 nights when we visited Phnom Penh. Entering the front door of Hotel Nine was like stepping into a different world, suitably partitioned from the hustle and bustle of the streets. Fairly minimalist and basic, it offered us comfort and relaxation. The rain shower was much appreciated after having traveled to and fro the Killing Fields on the dusty roads in a tuk tuk. The cafe provides good buffet breakfast and you can pretty much eat to your heart's content - a perfect start to your day. Hotel Nine is also conveniently located, which is a big plus! All in all, this place is value for money.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
hotel_nine098, Manager at Omana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed you stay with us here at Hotel Nine. We look forward to welcoming you again to Hotel Nine in the near future.

Reviewed October 28, 2011

I recently stayed at Hotel Nine for five nights. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The location of the hotel was good, being within a comfortable walking distance to the silver pagoda and the restaurants and bars on the riverfront. My room was of a good size, the bed was comfortable. The ensuite facilities were also really good. Some of the hotel facilities I really liked. There was ample shared space with lots of comfortable seating. There was plenty of space to set up a laptop without having to be confined to your room. The pool was a welcome place to spend some time and have a cocktail at the end of an afternoon and before heading out to find a spot for dinner. The only real gripe I had was the lack of an elevator. Even though the hotel is only a couple of stories, the circular staircase was not the easiest to negotiate. Importantly, the staff make themselves available to cart luggage up and down the stairs. I also had trouble with my bar fridge, but once again the staff attended to that promptly and happily. The hotel, the pool and common areas were kept really clean. Breakfast was included in my stay and was plentiful, of a good standard and varied day to day.

Room Tip: If you have mobility challenges then ask for a room on the ground floor. On a business card for the...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Happy hour is from 5-7pm daily and offers great quality cocktails, I am glad to hear that you took advantage of that!!

We now have phones in every room so when you are ready to come down to reception, you can call ahead and we will send a staff member to carry your bags down.

Thanks again for the review and recommendation.

Reviewed October 18, 2011

hi I just got back from two and a half weeks at this hotel and loved it I had a fantastic time the staff are all out standing and go out of their way to help you and look after you, and the food is great and the service is second to none, I realy can,t wait to get back there, and a big thanks to Oliver and all his staff for giving me such a memorable holiday, I'll never forget
thanks very much Mark L

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank mark l
Msouthby, Manager at Omana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2011

Hi Mark,

All the staff really enjoyed having you as a guest at the Hotel. We have shown them your review and they were so happy to read the compliments you have made.

We look forward to having you back at Hotel Nine on your next trip.

Reviewed October 17, 2011

This really is one of the best kept secrets in the city.

The hotel is a hidden gem. I can't say enough about it. Everything here is excellent-the food, the service, the accommodations and the location.

To address a few issues a previous poster mentioned:

1. There is a phone on every level- in the common areas not more than 20 feet from any room door. I used it for room service several times.

2. To guide a tuk-tuk here all you have to tell him is to take you to Independence Monument. The hotel is right around the corner from there.

Do yourself a favor and look nowhere else in PP.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 13, 2011

But not the usual standard we have come to expect from a month in this region. People obviously like the modernist/ minimalist design but It's a bit knocked about which I think gives it all the ambiance of a youth hostel. Small spartan room with a moldy shower and no phone...you have to walk down 2 flights of precipitous spiral squares to contact reception. ( The extra soap didn't arrive ) The main attraction of this hotel is the gated sanctuary feel...the pool and breakfast area ( make your own instant coffee ..real coffee $1.50 ) is indeed a refuge from the big city. Unfortunately this has it's downside. Because the exterior gives no clue that it's a hotel tuk tuk drivers struggle to find it even when presented with a business card...be prepared for a mini tour of the surrounding streets' number 9 addresses when you want to get back at night. I'd look around

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

Hi There,

Thanks so much for taking the time to submit a review of Hotel Nine.

We actually have phones on every level for guests to use to call down to reception. We have instructed staff again on the importance of pointing this out too guests so they are aware the service is available. Thank you for making us aware of this as it helps us train our staff better.

As for the Tuk Tuk driver not being able to find us...we are number 48 on street 9, beside us is number 3 and on the other side number 7!! One of the mysteries of Cambodian street numbering, so this can cause so confusion at times. We have installed new signage that makes us more visible and we have 'Take me home' cards made, written in Khmer to make it easier for the Tuk Tuks to bring you straight home.

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Phnom Penh.

Reviewed October 10, 2011

In the perfect position for exploring Phnom Penh by foot, tuk tuk or taxi, Hotel Nine is a cool oasis offering friendly service, great food and happy hour cocktails around it's refeshing pool. The staff are very professional and attentive. Breakfast buffet is delicious, fresh and substantial. The clean rooms open on to large shared verandahs ( some with laptops for your use) with comfy lounges.
ACon and fans work beautifully. Comfy beds, a room safe and boutique style hospitality complete the picture.

• Stayed: September 2011
hotel_nine098, Manager at Omana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2011

Hi,

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us at Hotel Nine. We aim to provide the best service for our guests so they can enjoy a relaxing time whilst they are with us.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

All the best,
Ollie

Reviewed September 30, 2011

Initially I booked just 3 nights as it looked too good to be true (also, I wasn't really sure of my plans in Phnom Penh), but extended it by another 2 nights because it was all just spot on for my needs.

I found it a perfect combination of a side-street location, walking distance to key tourist attractions and the river, or short tuk-tuk ride ($2) to the very centre (which is too noisy for my liking).

There are a couple of fantastic restaurants nearby (a high quality Khmer/Vietnamese "Ngon Restaurant" and an Asian/Japanese "Shabu Shabu" DIY-soup/sushi-buffet place extremely popular with local white collar workers as well as families - and not a tourist in sight! (I will review these separately, click on my profile, if interested).

The hotel is a low rise, white building with big, modern rooms and bathrooms (super clean and good selection of toiletries).

Breakfast relatively limited but fresh and tasty (and on 2 out of the 4 breakfasts my sunny-side-up eggs, which i like very soft but none of that raw white film.. - were absolute perfection!).

Lovely communal areas, big white sofas with fans above them, great ambiance in the evening thanks to the many candles lit all over the place in the evenings.

Excellent mini bar selection, inc. local spicy peanuts snacks, in addition to the drinks and complimentary water. Also loads of small shops and street vendors selling all the necessities.

The only minus I can think of is the size of the pool, which is small, but on my visit I had it all to myself so no complaints.

All in all - a highly recommended place for a relaxing stay.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, choose a higher floor (2 or 3) facing away from the main street, as the...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank magdapagda

Hi There,

Thanks so much for taking the time to submit a review of Hotel Nine.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. The idea behind Hotel Nine was to provide an oasis where you can relax and escape the hustle and bustle of Phnom Penh.

The pool is certainly not huge but again the idea was to have the pool as a place where you could relax after a long day sight seeing and enjoy a cocktail!!

Look forward to welcoming you to Hotel Nine again on your next visit to Phnom Penh