“A fun and yummy night for 'risk-takers'”

DID - Dine in the Dark
Ranked #19 of 1,428 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: Cambodian, International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: DID - Dine in the Dark is a fine dining restaurant in which there are no lights inside the dining room. This pitch-dark restaurant provides guests a chance to discover Khmer, international and vegetarian dishes without seeing them, thereby heightening all non-visual senses in an elegant fashion. All dishes offer a surprising selection of tastes and textures, and by revealing the dishes only after dinner, DID - Dine in the Dark provides the opportunity to indulge in a culinary guessing-game. The restaurant also has a social purpose at the core of its business model, as it employs a team of talented visually-impaired to work as members of its service team. It thereby creates equal employment opportunities for the visually impaired in Cambodia while raising awareness about their professional skills. DID - Dine in the Dark is the perfect place for couples, friends, and groups to experience an enjoyable new world of sensations and discover social enterprises in a whole new way.
Singapore
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A fun and yummy night for 'risk-takers'”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We found this on Trip Advisor and took the risk - and were rewarded. I haven't done many reviews on here, but was inspired to spread the word on DID. The service was terrific, with our blind waitress making us feel comfortable with a very unique experience, getting a real sense of what it might be like to be blind. The fun of finding your way to the table (with guidance), smelling the food before it arrives, using your other senses to figure out what you ate, and laughing as each person at the table gets used to the lack of sight - all of this was fun and a good experience for our family (kids aged 7,10,13). And the food was delicious - we had the international and the Khmer menus, and everyone enjoyed it.
I would recommend this to anyone visiting Phnom Penh - terrific.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank David A

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Laguna Beach, California
“Amazing”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Such an amazing experience: to eat your dinner in absolute darkness. It blew my mind to be placed in the position of a blind person for even just that 1 hr. The food was 5 Stars and the service is spectacular. The price is reasonable. I can definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone interested in trying a new and novel night out for dinner. Check it out.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Jeremy_sm2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“GREAT DINING EXPERIENCE”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Though the complete darkness brought me an unknown feeling for the first 10 minutes and also the first dishes were not finish eaten, thereafter, i was feeling good with this dining experience.
I wanted to recommend DID for continuing to bring this kind of mystery dark to diners.
Of course, varieties of menu is definately a guarantee to revisit especially those visited more than three times.
Thank you, DINE IN DARK, i have a great night dinner which i won't forget for the rest of my life.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Yow1122
Jay S, Partner at DID - Dine in the Dark, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Dear guest,

We look forward to welcoming you back to the restaurant to experience the new three-course surprise menus, which change on a regular basis to maintain the element of surprise. As well as continuously offering a choice of three daily options: International, Khmer, and Vegetarian.

Thank you for your excellent review of DID - Dine in the Dark and for recommending our social enterprise to other TripAdvisor users. I am delighted you had the experience of a lifetime with us.

With kind regards,

Jay S

Partner - Dine in the Dark
Medellin, Colombia
“Develop an empathy with the blind”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

On the corners of Street 19 and 172, this place is tucked away upstairs. You leave your phone, watch and anything else that might generate light in the loby.

The dining room is literally pitch black and you don't know what you ate -- choices of Khmer, western and vegetarian -- until they show you photos after the meal. A not to be missed experience.

Visited March 2014
4 Thank Jody H
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What an amazing experience.. with a wonderful cause!!”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Don't miss DID when visiting Cambodia's capital city Phnom Penh!! What an amazing concept and experience, and what better way to empower 'disabled' people, all the waiters and waitresses are blind and from the moment you arrive, the experience is phenomenal!!
The adrenalin of not knowing what you 'putting' yourself into, but knowing and feeling in safe hands.. I say EMBRACE the experience, go with an open mind (the best I 'felt' was eating with my hands) and be ready to be blown away! I've never been in such darkness, initially feeling out of my comfort zone, I took a deep breathe and soon relaxed.

The food was great! I think my senses were enhanced, and the chef never disappointed.. neither did our waiter on the wine and attentive service.

A very humbling experience!! Thank you all for making the night a memory I'll never forget!! I'll definitely be back, and look forward to checking out if there's one in London.

• Visited November 2013
Jay S, Partner at DID - Dine in the Dark, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Jocelyn,

Thank you for your excellent comments and exciting review of your evening at DID - Dine in the Dark. I am delighted you had a great experience. I will also pass on your compliments to our kitchen team, and our visually impaired guides as they love hearing all our guests' positive comments.

We look forward to welcoming you, your friends, and your family, back to Dine in the Dark in the future, either in Thailand or Cambodia. Thank you once again for your kind review of our restaurant.

With kind regards,