“Good, could be great”

Ranked #22 of 1,470 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: Cuban, Latin, Mexican
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Delivery
Description: Burrito bar featuring a unique fusion of modern and traditional Mexican cuisine and creative cocktails.
Phnom Penh
“Good, could be great”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I've eaten here several times now. My overall impression is very positive, but there are a few tweaks that could make this place outstanding.

The quality of the meats and the general flavor of the food is really great. The pork bowl is especially good, especially with all the toppings. That said, there doesn't feel like quite enough of it to go around, and the price is a little high, probably reflecting the premium ingredients.

The tortillas and chips need a bit of work - both seem a bit packaged and generic. Some of the extra toppings (guacamole, sides, etc.) are priced a bit steep.

Staff is incredibly, perhaps overly, attentive - but I chalk this up to still being recently opened. Hopefully they will settle down a bit more. Atmosphere is nice, very cool paintings on the wall and fun menus, but it can get quite loud even with just a few other diners as it's a small space.

If I were rating on flavor alone, I'd give Cartel a 5. However, it's got some steep competition in Phnom Penh, and will need to come down a bit on price and up a bit on extras & intangibles in order to compete.

• Visited September 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
“Good food, nice place”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I really liked Cartel when I went there (twice). Once I had beef and once I had pork - both really delicious. The flavours of the meet are very nice. Once was burrito and once was bowl. I prefer the bowl because I find it more filling and it is easy to mix all of the salsas and extras in. The staff are super nice, and I like the ordering system. It's very good for a quick meal. But seems like also somewhere where people go to enjoy drinks (very strong), so feels quite lively. I would recommend it- tasty food, clean, friendly, fair price.

• Visited October 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great tacos!”
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Totally recommended this place!
Beautiful setting, great atmosphere and great food!
Definitely come back here for more tacos!

1 Thank Sopheak H
Las Vegas, Nevada
“When I want Mex...I'll go elsewhere.”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Ordered for delivery two burritos (chicken and beef). They arrived with ingredients that I stated three times (and made them repeat the order to me) that I did not like nor want. I called them and they re-delivered. I asked the guy if the order had the guacamole and sour cream like the first order and he said it did. I asked him to wait and checked it. It did not.
Now down to the nitty gritty: the food. It was edible but not remarkable in any way. $17.50 for the two burritos (the guacamole X2 was $2 extra) and 2 Cokes ($3.00). The guacamole was okay but the sour cream tasted a little off. Expensive (for Cambo) lesson learned. It is not "the best Mexican restaurant in Phnom Penh" as they have stated above in their description. Ballsy statement but not true.

• Visited October 2013
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Definitely recommended”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Cool decor, great food and really friendly and attentive staff. I've been to Cartel twice, once for dinner and once for lunch, both times the burritos were delicious and the drinks menu is awesome. Definitely recommend the Contraband cocktail!

• Visited September 2013