“Sent to a Different Hotel, Dirty, Bugs”

Sovanphum Guesthouse
Ranked #112 of 274 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Upon arrival was sent to a different hotel. It wasn't too far away but the original room I was put in had only a window into the hall - no natural light. Was moved to a room with a window but the window just looked at a building 2 feet away. Room was dirty - cutip in the bathroom on the floor. Bad bathroom. Bed was comfy. Bug found in room, cockroach found in hallway.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Jenny B

Reviewed March 27, 2014

After having a bad experience with an apartment rental and leaving after three months I ended up staying here for a few months. Sophia the owner gave me a good long term rate which included electricity and internet. I could only find one other guesthouse that gave me a comparable deal. I had one of the rooms facing the back alley and was happy with it. It was a lot better than the first guesthouse I stayed at. The room is small but efficient with a desk, very comfortable bed, clothes rack, table, and TV. The bathroom is very big. When I had problems they were promptly dealt with. Sophia seems genuinely concerned with making her guests happy. Guests get a discount on food and draft beers are only $0.50 for everyone. My favorite dish is the chicken with Khmer ingredients. The location is great as it is not in the very touristy part of Riverside and it is close to many good restaurants. It is also possible to walk to a lot of places like Central Market and Sorya Shopping Center. My friend stayed in one of the balcony rooms and it was nice and spacious. I would recommend the balcony rooms on level 1-2 or one of the windowed rooms facing the back alley if you don't mind a small room.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank kwaychap
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Despite some of the poor reviews, I booked this hotel because it was one of the cheapest options around. Regarding being relocated to the sister hotel due to overbooking, after a bit of research, I found the sister “Sinh Foo Hotel” is actually more expensive and rated higher than the Sovanaphum, so I figured I’d be even better off!

We arrived at the hotel at around 9pm and the manager/owner lady was expecting us. As expected, she mentioned the renovations that were currently going on and that our room was not available. Instead, she’s offering us a bigger room (at the same hotel) at no additional charge. I was very impressed with our room. It was huge, and the bathroom was beautiful and looked newly renovated with new tiles. I’m guessing the rooms on the higher floors were undergoing similar reno’s. The bed was clean and the mattress was a hard foam. One of the more comfortable beds during our 3 weeks in Vietnam!

The wifi works, and you get $0.50 discount off all food items at the restaurant.

Only con was the noise. With the renovations going on one floor above us, the balcony was dusty and unusable, and got incredibly loud starting around 7:00am.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We were a bit dissapointed with this guesthouse, having read some great reviews.

Although the room was big, it was quite dusty and smelt very damp. The bathroom walls were very damp and the drains smelt after showering. Sadly there was construction work going on above the room which they started at 7am and the AC unit in the room was super noisy which was a shame.

The location is brilliant and there are some lovely places to drink overlooking the river nearby.

The staff were friendly and helpful when you asked anything, but it was not a 'welcoming' environment like we found in across Cambodia.

The food was cheap and ok and the little terrace is a nice place to sit and have a cold beer.
Overall it was ok but needs quite a bit of work doing to it to keep a good standard.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I had booked here weeks in advance of my trip after reading some great reviews here and on Agoda. When we showed up they seemed confused and asked if we were there the correct night. Luckily I had printed my confirmation from Agoda showing I had prepaid and had a reservation. The guy calls somebody, looks confused, and then walks us into the disgusting back alleyway filled with garbage and leads us up four flights of stairs beyond a padlocked folding metal grate door that literally took us 15 minutes to open every time we went through because the key really didn't fit. The clerk tried to claim this was part of the hotel, but obviously it was someone's apartment when it is not being rented out. The room was filthy, there was no sink in the bathroom but rather in the kitchen. The kitchen was just a couple of propane tanks and some dirty hot plates, and the fridge was unplugged and had some rotting food in it. The shower was literally barely more than a drip so we couldn't even take a shower (i didn't find this out until late at night or else i would have demanded my money back immediately). I never give out 1 stars and usually have good humor about most places we stay, but this place was a disgrace. Perhaps the main hotel rooms are better, but if they wont honor reservations to pre-paying customers, then they don't deserve anyones business in my opinion.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jessndenSouthernAZ
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

If you're not squeamish about walking down a narrow alley to get to what looks like a metal jail door hinged with a padlock, then you're in for a real surprise up three steep flights of stairs where one, perhaps two Phnom Penh families live below.
On the top floor, you'll find a very private and oh so funky suite with private bathroom, large double bed and the best wooden reclining chair I've ever sat on. Brace yourself for a great view of the river and nearby FCC luxury hotel, for that's what you'll see outside on your private rooftop patio with table and chairs.
This is not a standard hotel room. If that's what you want, ask Sofia to show you one in the main hotel building. But if you're up for a funky artists loft type of space, this is the place for you.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed here one night then the owner SOPHIE was kind enough on our return to this city to store our luggage for pm while wandering around before going to airport. Room were good ;clean; good beds and very helpful staff;carried our beds to room. Th e food is the best i have had in 2 weeks;; location is great ;close to Palace and waterfront where you can walk foe a long time. Highly recomend this place!!!!!!!!!!! kate fr CANADA

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends