“Centrally located, nice lounge area, value for money”
Review of Me Mates Villa

Me Mates Villa
Hyderabad, India
“Centrally located, nice lounge area, value for money”
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

Located a ten minute walk away from the riverside. Tucked in off the main street and hence avoids the noise of the vehicles and travelers. Cannot stress on how well located the place is.

Stayed at the 8 bed mixed dorm for two nights. Got a free Tuk Tuk pick up from the bus station. Was well received; Tuk Tuk driver carried my bag in and I was greeted at the door with smiling faces and a glass of ice cold water. Shown to my dorm and handed over my keys.

Neat dorm beds, each person given an ample sized locker with a padlock. Air conditioned dorms, towel provided, clean sheets. Clean bathrooms with hot water showers.

The lounge area though small, is a very nice area to chill. Happy hours through the early evening. And a pretty decent ice coffee too. They offer shisha, though its not very good.

I found it to be a great place to meet people as a solo traveler. Plenty of other solo backpackers. And the lounge area is a great place to sit down for a drink before heading out. The staff is also very friendly and helpful and they all even came out with us one night. (Do not take up their offer to go to a Khmer club unless you enjoy absolutely dreadful music)

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Vietnamese first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

When I arrived, I got a nice cold water, everybody was very friendly from day 1 till I left. Nice dorm with good shower. The idea behind this hostel with teaching everybody something, was told to me afterwords, I like!! A lot!! I will stay here again in 4 days, can't wait!

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Ho Chi Minh City, null, Vietnam
Reviewed January 21, 2014

all the positive reviews here are right. i was very content when i chose this hotel for my staying in Phnom Penh. I just stayed here for only one night, the room was very clean, and comfortable. Hotel with nice facade, good foods and drinks. The staffs were very friendly and they helped me a lot for any informations or booking tickets. Recommended !

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I stayed here and although hard to find, I got there eventually. It's down an alley if you are looking on the street.

I checked in and the staff rushed a glass of water over which I downed in one go. I was shown to my room which was on the ground floor. It was really big and spacious. The toilet and shower fine, not much power if i remember right. Anyway the room was a little noisy in the morning as it was right at reception.

The food at the hostel was very very good and I enjoyed the Luk Lak they made. Was the best I had in Cambodia.

Now for the Tuk-Tuk issue, I don't know if they are associated with the hostel or not but I would not trust them. They scammed us.

One driver (Gem) he has a diamond in his tooth and a large ring on his finger, he is a real hustler. He said he would take us to the orphanage near by for free. We said that would be great as it would be nice to do something charitable. So next morning he turned up in a huge 4x4 jeep and took us. He offered to stop off so we could buy rice for the kids. Well we nearly dropped when they said it was $60 for 50kg of rice, its the staple diet there. We weren't sure what to do but got 25kg for $40, there was 3 of us so we split it, reluctantly. We then went in search of toys for the kids, oddly we were taken to some very expensive market stalls. We bought what we thought was reasonable and what the kids would enjoy.

We arrived at Lighthouse Orphanage and were greeted by no children. Some appeared after a minute or two and were not that fussed by are arrival. We were shown around and the food room was not shown. Eventually we found around 20kids all watching films on a laptop, they were not really interested in us until the movie ended. They then came and got some of the stuff we brought and played with them.

The owner/runner of the orphanage then tried to get us to donate cash to him, whilst the kids brought us over and tried to get us to buy items they had 'made'. The most shocking thing was, out of toys we brought, the owner took them unopened and locked them away. He did however pocket some bubbles to bring for his children. I couldn't believe it. I think that everything that was unopened will be returned to the stalls where we bought them and the money will be split.

When leaving we asked Gem (tuk tuk) driver to us straight back to the hostel. It took us 15mins to get from the hostel to the orphanage and on the way back it took 3hrs. We were toured around the place and taken to his sisters house, which oddly was a cafe, anyway after having to be very forceful with him and telling him to take us back immediately he reluctantly left his sisters.

When we got back we left and said thanks 15mins later he stopped us and said the owner of the car wanted money for using his car. We said that he never told us this, he continually said it was free. Anyway apparently the trip cost $20, it would of cost $2.00 if he had taken us straight there and back without the diversion to his sisters. We refused to pay and although he was annoyed the next morning still told me to write a nice review for him on hostel world as he would get $10 for it.

All of this soured my opinion on Me Mates Villa. The staff who worked inside there, especially Charlie were amazing and so nice but the tuk tuk drivers are not to be trusted.

I wouldn't stay here again simply because this type of scam is allowed to happen right outside the hostel. If it's without their consent it needs to be told to guests, if it's with their consent then it's even worse.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Adam W
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

Best things about this hostel are the wide beds, air con and hot showers!

Our 6 bed female dorm was tight for space, but some of the others are much more roomy so might depend on your luck!

I would have preferred a better communal area, so good if you're looking for a quieter hostel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Hull
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Great staff. Great food. Great rates. Great location. Met some great people to hang around with. The staff really carnt do enough for you, and its always with the biggest smile. If I'm ever back in Phnom Penh, I'm staying at Me Mates Villa!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

Only stayed here one night while on my way through to the coast. Wanted to stay when I came back to PP but couldn't as was booked up. Not surprised as it's a great little, place. It's in a great location near the palace, but because it's down a little alley (not a scuzzy alley), it's also quite peaceful. The staff are super friendly and helpful. They have a small bar and serve food - I had a v tasty beef loc lac - would recommend!
The dorm room was clean, but best of all, it had massive, wide bunk beds and lockers you could fit your whole back pack in, with a padlock and key provided for small deposit. Ensuite shower was hot with good water pressure.
Great place!